Turning school over to another master

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am planning on turning my program over to a young man that I have trained for 20 years. I want to ensure that he has the best possible chance for success. Any ideas on what I should or should not do during this process would be greatly appreciated.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am planning on turning my program over to a young man that I have trained for 20 years. I want to ensure that he has the best possible chance for success. Any ideas on what I should or should not do during this process would be greatly appreciated.

Teach beginnings of some classes and let him finish. Taper off on the volume you teach. Continue to tell students how great it will be for him to continue as their instructor.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I was the new one in charge, I would appreciate very much your advice (guidance) and your presence from time to time, especially at the beginning.
But I also would like to have freedom to run the school slightly different (because each one has different values, and if it represents better my values, more passionately I will do my job). If I am the new leader, I should lead! :)
I think everyone is a bit like this.

Just my 5 c. Because it is an interesting (new?) topic and not active enough...

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is a club at a fitness center. 70-80 students. I've ran it for 10 years.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I was the new one in charge, I would appreciate very much your advice (guidance) and your presence from time to time, especially at the beginning.
But I also would like to have freedom to run the school slightly different (because each one has different values, and if it represents better my values, more passionately I will do my job). If I am the new leader, I should lead! :)
I think everyone is a bit like this.

Just my 5 c. Because it is an interesting (new?) topic and not active enough...
I'll piggy-back on this one and add that, once the transition is complete, make sure that you internalize the fact that it's not your baby anymore. Youve given it away and you need to trust that the new guy will do a good job, even if different from how you would have done it. Don't try to hold on to some control anymore.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say first thing: make sure your seniors and your senior students are all on board with the plan. While you're free to turn over a program to whomever you like, it's going to go a lot smoother if it's got the support of the group.
By the same reasoning, I wouldn't just say "Master Blaster is taking over tomorrow." I'd make it a transition over a period of weeks or even months, if possible.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is your time line for the transition?
Has the person taking over been involved in teaching and administration of the organization?
What is his understanding of the business aspects of the organization? (new member development, member retention, setting and collecting fee's, inventory, curriculum development, taxes, bills, insurance, etc.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He has been teaching for me for 3 years on and off. More on lately. He is most senior student and has respect of others.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would caution the new person to make any changes in small increments over time. People don't like change. Just sneak stuff in once a week or month.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll piggy-back on this one and add that, once the transition is complete, make sure that you internalize the fact that it's not your baby anymore. Youve given it away and you need to trust that the new guy will do a good job, even if different from how you would have done it. Don't try to hold on to some control anymore.

I'll be busy with teaching and running a GB school. I have lost interest in it. I still like TKD , it will forever be a part of my soul, but I am in love with BJJ. I have to be true to myself. After 36 years total, 23 of them teaching, I will retire my Dobok and KMA belts with a smile having promoted 3 Masters who will continue teaching TKD in different areas.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll be busy with teaching and running a GB school. I have lost interest in it. I still like TKD , it will forever be a part of my soul, but I am in love with BJJ. I have to be true to myself. After 36 years total, 23 of them teaching, I will retire my Dobok and KMA belts with a smile having promoted 3 Masters who will continue teaching TKD in different areas.
Fair enough. Looks like you are ready for a change. I know how that can be.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Master Smith. Great loss for tkd, but I'm sure a gain for BJJ. Was there a final straw that drove you away from taekwondo or it was a series of things? I hope I'm not beeing too personal, but I will ask: did economic factors influence your decision?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Get him connected with other school owners that are more successful. Make sure he knows not just TKD and how to teach, but also how to run a business successfully.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is a club at a fitness center. 70-80 students. I've ran it for 10 years.

Very cool, congrats! From what I've seen, that's a very high membership for a school that's subletting from a gym/rec center/etc.

I asked because commercial schools have more logistics/business kind of work that you'll need to make sure he can handle, in addition to the teaching, classroom management, lesson planning, etc. If you're not having deal things like handling payroll, managing employees, tracking retail inventory, making sure the space is maintained, etc, that should reduce the amount of "business stuff" your guy needs to learn in terms of how to take over your school. However, if you personally handle marketing, signups, billing, attendance, communicating with families, etc, you will need to teach him how to handle those things.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Smith. Great loss for tkd, but I'm sure a gain for BJJ. Was there a final straw that drove you away from taekwondo or it was a series of things? I hope I'm not beeing too personal, but I will ask: did economic factors influence your decision?
Series over the years.
I got 5th Dan MDK in 2001. Gm retired and local group refused my membership as I was only KKW 1st dan (got it as a competitor for nationals in 80s). Had to start going to seminars for poomsae/ regulations/FIC etc to get "caught up". Really was just stances that were different as we had always done taeguek poomsae as well as others.after many exams got my 5th, again, and just got bored. Seminar attendees higher level than me and younger than me with terrible technique. GM that can not do basic poomsae well and not due to injuries or old age. Charlatans, belt factories and the lousy point fighting style that has become the norm. Being associated with the ATA even if it is just in name.
I have met many good martial artists that teach well and that I will miss. I will not miss the egotistical 9th Dan's who run their academies like cults and think that students are only dollar signs.
There are few frauds in bjj and they get weeded out quickly. There are no Jr black belts or excuses as to why they are needed. No belt tests, no gear other than a gi and a belt. Weigh ins are right before matches directly all ages. Rules are simple. All ages train. Adult members outweigh the kids and there are 70+ kid's. Police, military and special services swear by it for CQC.
Sales are easy. One price and there is no negotiating. Discount applies to law enforcement, all military (active or not) and emergency service personnel.
Other reason is time. I will only have to teach 4 classes a day, 4 days a week and one class on fridays. That's 17 hours on the mat per week compared to 43 now.

Last edited:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Series over the years..
Master Smith. Thank you very much for your candid and informative reply. Wish you the best with the new venture and of course, on behalf of all the taekwondoin here who know what this means: "Your are awesome!"

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Series over the years.
I got 5th Dan MDK in 2001. Gm retired and local group refused my membership as I was only KKW 1st dan (got it as a competitor for nationals in 80s). Had to start going to seminars for poomsae/ regulations/FIC etc to get "caught up". Really was just stances that were different as we had always done taeguek poomsae as well as others.after many exams got my 5th, again, and just got bored. Seminar attendees higher level than me and younger than me with terrible technique. GM that can not do basic poomsae well and not due to injuries or old age. Charlatans, belt factories and the lousy point fighting style that has become the norm. Being associated with the ATA even if it is just in name.
I have met many good martial artists that teach well and that I will miss. I will not miss the egotistical 9th Dan's who run their academies like cults and think that students are only dollar signs.
There are few frauds in bjj and they get weeded out quickly. There are no Jr black belts or excuses as to why they are needed. No belt tests, no gear other than a gi and a belt. Weigh ins are right before matches directly all ages. Rules are simple. All ages train. Adult members outweigh the kids and there are 70+ kid's. Police, military and special services swear by it for CQC.
Sales are easy. One price and there is no negotiating. Discount applies to law enforcement, all military (active or not) and emergency service personnel.
Other reason is time. I will only have to teach 4 classes a day, 4 days a week and one class on fridays. That's 17 hours on the mat per week compared to 43 now.
How long have you been doing BJJ?