Trends in sport Taekwondo

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this is an interesting topic to say the least, and at worst I will gain some insight from the elite coaches here who have athletes fighting at this level.

what I've noticed, and it's quite possible I'm entirely off base, based on 2012 Olympics in particular just because of how easy it was to watch them compared to most tournaments.

1) The current favorites are serious athletes, I guess that hasn't changed, but a lot of the fights looked like they were won and lost on cardio and muscular endurance. When I get my laptop fixed ill find a few examples, embedding on my cell phone is a nightmare :)

2) As much range as possible seems to be the order of the day. This one in particular, I'd like to discuss, because it seemed to me that the heavyweight division, a lot of countries were giving up technique in favor of range and strength. China in particular. Obviously the Chinese fighter is an excellent Taekwondo athlete, but in that company he didn't look quite as polished as the others, especially the lower weight classes. Some of the other fighters in men's heavyweight were similar.

For number two, as I think about that trend it certainly seems to be either changing or already changed, since the division in question (men's heavyweight) was won on pure ability and timing by Carlo Molfetta, who had easily the least reach in the group. Ties back in to number one as well, Carlo didn't win on athleticism, he won on fantastic Taekwondo.

What are you guys noticing? Working on? If you were to build an athlete in a lab for Olympic/World Gold, what would they look like? What division?

Edit: It was short sighted of me to talk to everyone like they were wtf people. Hope to hear from ITF, ATA, Independent, everyone. Let us know your ruleset though :)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Head kicking! So many fights won and lost on the head kick...cardio and spinning look at the Servet Taegul fights. He is a non-stop spinning machine. The cut kick plays a big roll in today's game most prevelant on the womens side. It is much more of a Hogu game with the EBP. The lead leg has become a much bigger part of the game! Joel Gonzalez Bonilla the flyweight Gold Medalist from Spain is the perfect example of today's game.

Dad of lady Taz!

White Belt
Reaction score
On the women's side, definitely front leg head kicking. It is almost a given. And with the new head kick rule, it's a logical progression. why spend time developing body attack techniques when you are at the mercy of the electronic hogu. Makes more sense to "surf" on one leg and go for a 3 point shot that has a much better scoring percentage. Elizabeth Zamora is a great example. She IMHO has the body attack skills of a green belt...but that front leg is nothing short of amazing. She managed to win the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier and was one fight away from an Olympic bronze using one kick!

The men's side has always been more dynamic and athletic, because it is testosterone driven. And for a long time that was enough. But I agree that today you have to be more of a total package. Your one distinct physical attribute whether it is Height, speed, strength matters a lot less now Carlo Molfetta is proof of that. You can no longer be just tall and expect to medal. Because some small, strong and SMART guy is going to wear your butt out if you are not in shape and not a student of the game.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the trends Gorilla mentions, but would add one relative to what the OP mentioned: technique. Cardio matters late in a match, but technique is speed: technique yields distance, technique yields recovery, and technique yields defense. World class execution of basic footwork, stance, kicks, and recovery beats greater athleticism, though if technique is equal, coaching and athleticism matter. I like how the Daedo EBP system worked this year, and I liked the result of the head kick rule change (made close calls easier on review). Improvements in the EBP system made body points again part of the game, though the point emphasis on head kicks rightly encourages them--makes for good viewing. I was very happy to see the end of the standoff matches of 3-4 years ago where defense was king and matches were boring to watch. I suspect the WTF and IOC are pleased with the competition this year.

Carl

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was impressed with the competition this year.

It was easy to follow, my friends who are MMA fans agree.

Latest Discussions