Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the US, for 14-17 year olds, you can kick full contact to the head and win by knockout, same as the WTF Competition Rules.

I should clarify that our Provincial tournament and anything else we host higher than that follows WTF competition rules, the more conservative rules are for local tournaments under the Newfoundland and Labrador Taekwondo Federation only.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
This BOARD is, huh? That's funny. Seems to me like it just says "Tae Kwon Do." Or is the Olympic version of the art the only one that counts?

Also, I mentioned that he was an ITF instructor, so his students would be ITF students, who do semi-contact sparring. Try to keep up.

Name of thread: Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Until you got here, behind his back, in front of all of us. Nice :) I have to give ETinCYQX crdit, he is not doing anything behind anyone's back, and is being up front about how he thinks and how his instructor thinks.

Well for one, that was something like 3 years ago. It was also intertwined with a college course I was taking for credit, so I wasn't going to endanger my grade. I'm not a fool. And finally, I didn't want to endanger my standing in the organization, because I was really hoping to find a different instructor and continue my training.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know, Im still trying to get my head around that one. That was gold.

The interesting thing is that he hasn't addressed the issue, despite it being brought up multiple times.

Then again, whenever he's "got" he just ignores it . . . kind of like when he said "your words, not mine" about how kickboxing is a "low level thing." When faced with his own words he just doesn't respond.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Newfoundland you have to be 18 and a black belt to win by knockout or even kick to the head.

You and I both know this was never about 8 year olds and you're grasping at straws to make me look like a thug.

You called yourself a thug, no me. I was talking about your 8 year old students parents. I was not talking about 18 year old competitors at tournaments, but then of course you knew that.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Name of thread: Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

And you know that doesn't have anything to do with a conversation about me competing against ITF TKDers under ITF rules.

You talk a lot about being "morally right" and "the principles of world religions" or whatever, but you're really pretty disingenuous in the way you talk to people.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You called yourself a thug, no me. I was talking about your 8 year old students parents. I was not talking about 18 year old competitors at tournaments, but then of course you knew that.

Sure thug was my words I'll give you that. We started with adult competitors, I offered my views on that, and you brought that around to my kid students. And yes I encourage my younger students to give it their all and never slow down because they're winning. It's also a completely different ruleset and dynamic.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, and these are events sanctioned by the WTF Member National Association in the USA. Not inner-school local invitational events.

I'll clarify a little, I wasn't specific. NFLD has its own WTF association that all our WTF and KKW stuff goes through and they sanction the tournaments I refer to as "local". There's generally both Chong Lee and Woo Young Jung KKW schools competing. I don't recall a third Grandmaster represented amongst Kukkiwon schools on the island currently.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I should clarify that our Provincial tournament and anything else we host higher than that follows WTF competition rules, the more conservative rules are for local tournaments under the Newfoundland and Labrador Taekwondo Federation only.

Yes, and wouldn't it be appalling for a very skilled fighter, a worthy contender from one of your higher WTF events to enter a local, conservative event, and knockout the unskilled unprepared participants? Or is that OK because they weigh the same, and each has on a black belt?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, and wouldn't it be appalling for a very skilled fighter, a worthy contender from one of your higher WTF events to enter a local, conservative event, and knockout the unskilled unprepared participants? Or is that OK because they weigh the same, and each has on a black belt?

Hundred percent Ok. Our adult black belt competitors can hang with anyone else's.

We don't produce "unskilled, unprepared" anything. Newfoundland black belts are legit martial artists and as good as anyone else, not some schmuck in a black belt.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well for one, that was something like 3 years ago. It was also intertwined with a college course I was taking for credit, so I wasn't going to endanger my grade. I'm not a fool. And finally, I didn't want to endanger my standing in the organization, because I was really hoping to find a different instructor and continue my training.

Oh, that explains your disrespecting him behind his back. OK, I get it now. Thanks.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, that explains your disrespecting him behind his back. OK, I get it now. Thanks.

Okay, you're right. I guess I should find his number and call him up and say, "Hey, you remember me from 3 years ago? Well I just wanted to let you know what's up before I mention you on an Internet forum."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been lucky, I've liked all my instructors. I'd point it out had I not; but I think very highly of all of them

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

I can understand what mastercole is saying. In our local tournaments, our national champion/national team member types don't usually compete at local or even state championships, and when they do, they usually take it easy on the outmatched competitors. They usually do just enough to let the other side know that they are outclassed, seriously outclassed. Sometimes the local competitor gets brave, thinking he can pull a rocky and win against the champion. But taekwondo competition has evolved so much that the likelyhood of that happening is incredibly small. Sometimes the local competitor gets knocked out anyway, running into a hook kick or back kick to the face for example, or they come in and get hit so hard in the body that they fold over and can't continue. Or sometimes the local competitor gets in there and intentionally punches the face of the elite athlete, at which point the elite athlete knocks the local competitor out. But usually the local competitor knows he is outclassed, in footwork, speed, timing, experience, etc. that they may try some stuff, but they end up backing off too, because they know if they push it, there is a real possibility of getting seriously hurt.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And you know that doesn't have anything to do with a conversation about me competing against ITF TKDers under ITF rules.

I don't recall this being a conversation about ITF and ITF rules. Maybe you are confusing this with a different thread?

You talk a lot about being "morally right" and "the principles of world religions" or whatever, but you're really pretty disingenuous in the way you talk to people.

It is morally wrong to physically harm others during competition with a motives to take revenge on your old instructor whom you hate, or just to gain glory and impress impressionable young people who like your hair and might consider you there hero, bask in glory, etc.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hundred percent Ok. Our adult black belt competitors can hang with anyone else's.

We don't produce "unskilled, unprepared" anything. Newfoundland black belts are legit martial artists and as good as anyone else, not some schmuck in a black belt.

You are avoiding my direct question. But I understand why now.

Latest Discussions