Training half of martial arts bugs me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok here are a couple ideas for you to play with.

Better is better.

So regardless how much you feel the need for training. Better training will work better and produce better results.

This is different to training to a person capability or their level of interest.

And the skills taught have to be real skills it is not fancy movements that is my problem. It is this insane idea of training movement that you can't tell if they do anything at all.

I keep saying this and it keeps getting missed. It works or it doesn't work.

So fancy movements is a good example. It is only a method of separation if you are operating off a story.

If a fancy movement works better than a simple one. I will do a fancy movement. But people make these weird distinctions and they don't necessarily apply.
I suspect you think much of this is something I'd disagree with.

Better training is better. The same training isn't "better" for everyone, because different people have different priorities, interests, commitment levels, etc.

You also seem to be discussing a second issue (though you say it vaguely, so I may have missed the point) around things like aiki movement drills. That's an entirely different area, and (to me) less about what's most effective than about learning that specific thing. This is where you and I can't seem to get on a level where we can discuss this, because you seem to want folks to have your specific priorities.

As to the point about training to people's interest level or personal capability...you have to either do that or ignore it. Doing the latter will usually result in folks not being interested, so they leave (or never start). I suspect that's not the best training for them.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suspect you think much of this is something I'd disagree with.

Better training is better. The same training isn't "better" for everyone, because different people have different priorities, interests, commitment levels, etc.

You also seem to be discussing a second issue (though you say it vaguely, so I may have missed the point) around things like aiki movement drills. That's an entirely different area, and (to me) less about what's most effective than about learning that specific thing. This is where you and I can't seem to get on a level where we can discuss this, because you seem to want folks to have your specific priorities.

As to the point about training to people's interest level or personal capability...you have to either do that or ignore it. Doing the latter will usually result in folks not being interested, so they leave (or never start). I suspect that's not the best training for them.

Well you did disagree with it.

And yeah. There are a few martial arts that cater more towards protecting people's intrest than developing people's martial arts.

Results based used to remove people because I think there was more of a culture of successful people vs unsuccessful. Especially in combat sports, but fitness as well.

But with YouTube and with access to more information, arts like BJJ that turn these unsuccessful people into successful ones. Competition promotions that are more inclined to support people at a beginner level. And a basic openness between martial arts schools.

That attitude has changed considerably. And now these average people are grabbing this really good training when they can.

And the really good training is much more available.

An example of this cultural shift is for example women who were perceived so weak that they couldn't do obstical courses in the military.

A task too extreme for soldiers preparing for war has now become tough mudder and is smashed by soccer mums.

So yeah the martial arts equivalent of a Richard Simmons workout.

Is not necessarily the best option it is the comfortable option.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And yeah. There are a few martial arts that cater more towards protecting people's intrest than developing people's martial arts.

Results based used to remove people because I think there was more of a culture of successful people vs unsuccessful. Especially in combat sports, but fitness as well.

But with YouTube and with access to more information, arts like BJJ that turn these unsuccessful people into successful ones. Competition promotions that are more inclined to support people at a beginner level. And a basic openness between martial arts schools.

That attitude has changed considerably. And now these average people are grabbing this really good training when they can.

An example of this cultural shift is for example women who were perceived so weak that they couldn't do obstical courses in the military.

A task too extreme for soldiers preparing for war has now become tough mudder and is smashed by soccer mums.

You're still not getting it. I'm not sure how to explain it to you, so I'll just leave it be.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i think your miss understanding the net result of a dance work out to sd and indeed fitness in general,

back in the day i augmented my ma and soccer training with an hour of step aerobics, every week. just me and 30'' fat girls'', it made a significant improvement to both, some of those'' fat girls'' were extremely fit, im collapsed in a pool of my own sweat and they are still knocking out the beat

if you wanted to improve fitness for self defence purposes it is quite possibly the best thing you could do, you should really go and try it before holding it up to ridicule and calling it comfortable,, its anything but comfortable

Last edited:

Latest Discussions