Tournament time..... :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Might not be relevant given different style, but hey...

With that move (using my terminology - jump, land in X stance performing low section X fist pressing block) the feet are closer together, the back is straight and the block is about groin height. The 'external' height is controlled by the amount of bend in the legs.

What I found helped most with getting the position was to keep my shoulders rotated back and to keep eye contact with the fabled imaginary opponent.
I’m pretty sure we’re on the same page here. I did the kata during a class I took with the founder of our organization (“Kaicho” aka Tadashi Nakamura). He told me (in a heavy accent :) ) “JR back straight” I straightened out completely, then he said “not that straight” so I rounded my shoulders a little, and I got “just like that.”

Stylistic differences, but in the grand scheme of things, they’re slight differences.

And I’m not sure if you meant it during the jump, but to make it seem like you jumped higher, bend the knees more during the jump.

If you meant on the landing, absolutely. The block gets lower by bending the knees more rather than bending at the waist.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might not be relevant given different style, but hey...

With that move (using my terminology - jump, land in X stance performing low section X fist pressing block) the feet are closer together, the back is straight and the block is about groin height. The 'external' height is controlled by the amount of bend in the legs.

What I found helped most with getting the position was to keep my shoulders rotated back and to keep eye contact with the fabled imaginary opponent.

Ah yep makes sense, cheers for that. I think I was bending more at the waist/back than hips/knees

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you meant on the landing, absolutely. The block gets lower by bending the knees more rather than bending at the waist.

Ah yep makes sense, cheers for that. I think I was bending more at the waist/back than hips/knees

Yeah, posture on/after landing (for the Kodak moment) is back straight, nigh on upright - knees bent to control height of the block.

To get as close to the floor as in that video, I'd be almost sat on my heels ;)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@_Simon_
I was going to try to have someone video my kata for my personal use. I figured I’d share it with you somehow if you’re interested in seeing what I was talking about during that turn right before the jump. Once I get it, I’ll let you know.

I’ll try to get Tsuki-No recorded too. Just to compare where I’m at and which basket to put all my eggs into. I’ll share that one with you too, if you’d like.

And feel free to advise corrections. The more eyes on the kata, the better.

Edit: I’m glad you took my critique the right way, not that I thought you wouldn’t. Too many people take that stuff personally.

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment! Did you share with the little girl who inspired you what all she inspired you to do?

I loved watching your kata. It was similar in many ways to Pinan Godan from my old karate school. The jump was always my favorite part. Watching you makes me miss karate. I’m enjoying Taekwondo but still...

Anyhow, amazing job! I wish I had been able to get back on the forum earlier to deliver a more timely congratulations but life with small kids got in the way. Hopefully you know I’m still excited for you. I love that you share videos. It’s so fun to watch the live action.

So what are your training and tournament plans now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@_Simon_
I was going to try to have someone video my kata for my personal use. I figured I’d share it with you somehow if you’re interested in seeing what I was talking about during that turn right before the jump. Once I get it, I’ll let you know.

I’ll try to get Tsuki-No recorded too. Just to compare where I’m at and which basket to put all my eggs into. I’ll share that one with you too, if you’d like.

And feel free to advise corrections. The more eyes on the kata, the better.

Edit: I’m glad you took my critique the right way, not that I thought you wouldn’t. Too many people take that stuff personally.

Osu thanks mate, yeah would love to see Tsuki No as well! I had to do that for my 4th Kyu grading, I love all the different ways it generates power in punches, and far out how it works on stance transitions..

And nah I couldn't imagine taking that the wrong way, it was incredibly helpful!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment! Did you share with the little girl who inspired you what all she inspired you to do?

I loved watching your kata. It was similar in many ways to Pinan Godan from my old karate school. The jump was always my favorite part. Watching you makes me miss karate. I’m enjoying Taekwondo but still...

Anyhow, amazing job! I wish I had been able to get back on the forum earlier to deliver a more timely congratulations but life with small kids got in the way. Hopefully you know I’m still excited for you. I love that you share videos. It’s so fun to watch the live action.

So what are your training and tournament plans now?

Naww thanks so much Michele that means alot :). No I haven't let her know yet, have got kid's karate tonight so I may then.

Ah yeah I know the feeling of missing karate, I'm in a similar boat with not knowing where to go, wanting to stay in karate but not finding anywhere that suits yet... also really enjoyed my short time in TKD but I feel so drawn to karate..

Yeah I think sharing videos is really nice and gives more of an idea of who we are on the forum, and builds more connection. I'd love if more people posted vids, it is a little daunting and vulnerable, but if we've got nothing to lose or hide then it can be a nice support thing. But to each their own anyways.

Plans at the moment probably rest up tournament-wise the rest of this year. The National titles for this tournament are this December, but I may not compete. It's all the way at the other end of Aus (which would be so darn fun to travel that far to compete, but money's a bit tight), and I'm not sure work-wise where I will be.

Training-wise I'm still in my trialling out period, have a week and a half left at this karate dojo I'm currently trying out, then will try something else to see if it clicks with me. Haven't felt my heart really jump out in the current dojo so the search continues...

Appreciate your kind words, still in shock haha :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Naww thanks so much Michele that means alot :). No I haven't let her know yet, have got kid's karate tonight so I may then.

Ah yeah I know the feeling of missing karate, I'm in a similar boat with not knowing where to go, wanting to stay in karate but not finding anywhere that suits yet... also really enjoyed my short time in TKD but I feel so drawn to karate..

Yeah I think sharing videos is really nice and gives more of an idea of who we are on the forum, and builds more connection. I'd love if more people posted vids, it is a little daunting and vulnerable, but if we've got nothing to lose or hide then it can be a nice support thing. But to each their own anyways.

Plans at the moment probably rest up tournament-wise the rest of this year. The National titles for this tournament are this December, but I may not compete. It's all the way at the other end of Aus (which would be so darn fun to travel that far to compete, but money's a bit tight), and I'm not sure work-wise where I will be.

Training-wise I'm still in my trialling out period, have a week and a half left at this karate dojo I'm currently trying out, then will try something else to see if it clicks with me. Haven't felt my heart really jump out in the current dojo so the search continues...

Appreciate your kind words, still in shock haha :)

I think the videos are nice as well. Simon, did you put them on youtube yourself? Is that difficult to do?
Somebody was supposed to come up my buddy's place, film us so I could show a student back home something, but alas, he never did.

I'd love to put some stuff up. So I could show you guys what Elderly American Karate looks like. Probably wouldn't be pretty. :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that difficult to do?

Nah, it's simple.

Seriously.

The other day, my 6yo daughter said "will you watch my video on YouTube?" and the wife and I were like "yeah, alright" - totally humouring her.

Ok, 5 videos posted o_O

We've since had a little chat ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nah, it's simple.

Seriously.

The other day, my 6yo daughter said "will you watch my video on YouTube?" and the wife and I were like "yeah, alright" - totally humouring her.

Ok, 5 videos posted o_O

We've since had a little chat ;)

Your six year old put them on youtube? For real?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your six year old put them on youtube? For real?

Yep.

One of them was kind of our fault, she'd written a song, but was apparently too shy to sing it in front of us - so the suggestion was made for her to video it on her tablet to show us.

So she did, then posted it to youtube.

Along with a demonstration of how to do press-ups and sit-ups, and a few vlog type vids.

Kids today eh?

To be serious though, the posting is easy - the difficult bit is editing and quality.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep.

One of them was kind of our fault, she'd written a song, but was apparently too shy to sing it in front of us - so the suggestion was made for her to video it on her tablet to show us.

So she did, then posted it to youtube.

Along with a demonstration of how to do press-ups and sit-ups, and a few vlog type vids.

Kids today eh?

To be serious though, the posting is easy - the difficult bit is editing and quality.

That's awesome! Good for her.

Editing....can that be done one a laptop? Is some kind of special thing needed?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! Good for her.

Editing....can that be done one a laptop? Is some kind of special thing needed?

I've done a few videos in the past (entirely unrelated to MA, but since closed that account) and did the editing on an old netbook running xp. Some of it was painfully slow, but it did it.

The better and faster the computer the faster the process will go, which makes it somewhat easier in a way - but technically you can take, edit and post videos straight from a smartphone.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the videos are nice as well. Simon, did you put them on youtube yourself? Is that difficult to do?
Somebody was supposed to come up my buddy's place, film us so I could show a student back home something, but alas, he never did.

I'd love to put some stuff up. So I could show you guys what Elderly American Karate looks like. Probably wouldn't be pretty. :)

Thanks Buka :). Yeah I put them up myself. It's really super easy, you just create an account on YouTube (sign up), and you can pretty much start uploading. Mine were filmed from phone and I just uploaded them straight from my phone, really simple.

In terms of editing, have no idea about that! I once edited a vid of me lipsynching boyband songs and that was simple enough (yep, fun times XD ). There is some free video editing software available though I'm sure.

But ah man I'd looove to see vids you post for sure!

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah input them up myself. It's really super easy, you just create an account on YouTube (sign up), and you can pretty much start uploading. Mine were filmed from phone and I just uploaded them straight from my phone

Basically, if you can join a forum and post messages, you have the technical ability to post videos on YouTube.

There's loads of free video editing software - at least to start with I would imagine all you'd need to do is cut clips to length and join them, maybe add text titles/intros and possibly bung some (copyright free ;)) music over it.

That's the most basic functionality that absolutely any editing software will be easily capable of.

If you just want to shoot a clip and post it, there's probably no editing required anyway - I envisage something like @_Simon_ has done to be the format, so just get someone press record and stop at the right time and you're laughing.

Save the file, hit upload on YouTube, fill in the details page and hit publish when it's finished loading.

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score

Actually, it’s really difficult and takes lot of skill. If you pay for my plane ticket I’ll come out and film you ;)

(Just to be clear, I’m joking. It’s pretty simple if you have a smartphone or something else that can record digital video.)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@CB Jones knows a thing or two about video editing, his vids are really cool, so hit him up for tips y'all!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use Cyberlink Power Director software for editing that I purchased.

I started out using Windows Movie Maker.

But really if you aren't going to overlay sound or music and not add any effects (slow motion, zoom, etc...) you can just upload the video directly to youtube.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@_Simon_
I saw a great picture online, so I figured I’d share it here with you.
A5B49820-6B90-4AA6-AC23-5A3065CC8923.jpeg

I don’t think it’s an actual Dolph Lundgren quote, but it’s still a great quote. And Lundgren is the real deal, so it’s all good.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@_Simon_
I saw a great picture online, so I figured I’d share it here with you.
View attachment 21820

I don’t think it’s an actual Dolph Lundgren quote, but it’s still a great quote. And Lundgren is the real deal, so it’s all good.

Ah thanks so much for sharing, love it, it speaks volumes to me. Love the pic too, karate and the beach just fit. And Lundgren too, whatta bloke ;).

Latest Discussions