Tournament time..... :)

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Our Naihanchi poomse are in a straight line all in a horse stance. There are three of them.

Sounds like the same kata. There may have been three in my school but if so, the third was learned after 1st Dan (the highest rank I earned there)

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your original school was Okinawan, right? Okinawan pronunciation is NaiFanchi, whereas Japanese is NaiHanchi (capitalized the H and F solely to make the visually stand out). Same as SaiFa (Okinawan) and SaiHa (Japanese), Bassai (Japanese) and Passai (Okinawan), and several others. From what I understand, Okinawa has a different dialect than mainland Japan.

The you get into ichi, ni, san, etc. vs shodan, nidan, sandan, etc., ie Pinan ichi vs Pinan shodan, Heian ichi vs Heian shodan, etc. In actuality they’re the same kata, just different pronunciations and numbering systems. Yes they have variation from school to school too, but for all intents and purposes they’re the same kata.

To muddy the waters even further, you have Funakoshi (Shotokan founder) who outright changed the names of kata to Japanese names to gain Japanese acceptance of them - Kusanku/Kushanku/another variation (allegedly a person’s name) to Kanku (to view the sky); Naihanchi/Naifanchi (person’s name) to Tekki (horse riding), etc.

And people wonder why it’s so hard to document the history of this stuff :)

Oooh! This is helpful and explains a lot! Based on what you have here, it seems like my school (yes, an Okinawan one) used a mix of Okinawan and mainland Japanese terms. I remember Funakoshi from our history lessons but didn’t ever come across the language issue before. That’s very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like the same kata. There may have been three in my school but if so, the third was learned after 1st Dan (the highest rank I earned there)
They build off of each other, using much of the same moves and sequences. Not a very strong tourney form by themselves but I used to combine Naihanchi 1 and Koryo at non sanctioned tourneys and it worked very well.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm the State titles for the all styles tournament is coming up in a few weeks... am unsure whether to compete..

Been looking forward to this all year (as last year I entered only the forms division as I was quite unwell, and was the only person in my division), but have been struggling a fair bit with pelvic pain stuff, and had quite a bad flareup today... ugggh.... uncertain as to if I should enter...

That's all :S

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm the State titles for the all styles tournament is coming up in a few weeks... am unsure whether to compete..

Been looking forward to this all year (as last year I entered only the forms division as I was quite unwell, and was the only person in my division), but have been struggling a fair bit with pelvic pain stuff, and had quite a bad flareup today... ugggh.... uncertain as to if I should enter...

There are not qualifying tourneys for your state titles? Hmmm

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep there certainly are, only if you place 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any of the 3 rounds throughout the year you qualify for the states (invitation only), post #37 I spoke of my last tourney ;)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A difficult predicament to be in. Will you regret competing more that you’d regret not competing? That sir, is the real question. Only you know how painful it’ll be and how long it would sideline you if you compete.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Assuming there would be at least a final four you would have at least two matches. If you are like me, time is fleeting. Have you been training for this specific tourney? It is a physical vs. mental vs. how will I feel after the tourney battle. Let us know what you decide.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
A difficult predicament to be in. Will you regret competing more that you’d regret not competing? That sir, is the real question. Only you know how painful it’ll be and how long it would sideline you if you compete.

Ah... yeah great question :). I think I'd be devastated if I couldn't compete. Not so much about the tournament, but just everything this condition has impacted.. it's really taken it's toll emotionally... I'd be more upset that this is another thing that I wasn't able to do.

I think I'd regret not competing moreso, so I think I may know my answer.... :) but will still play it by ear.

Assuming there would be at least a final four you would have at least two matches. If you are like me, time is fleeting. Have you been training for this specific tourney? It is a physical vs. mental vs. how will I feel after the tourney battle. Let us know what you decide.

I've definitely been training much less for this one compared to the last one, sort of on purpose. I didn't want to push things too much, but I have done a little extra training when I'm well enough to.

It definitely is that sort of battle.. and yeah two or three matches (which are something like 1.5-2 minutes each) honestly wouldn't be too much to handle I don't think... probably more the nervousness which can tighten things up, but that being said, the last tourney I actually felt really great and not really nervous. It was like the experience I was getting with them over time helped to take down the seriousness of it.

Thanks heaps guys, that's really been helpful :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
..... just entered my form ;).

Was such a battle deciding this haha. And yesterday during the day I even decided that no I wouldn't enter, it would be too much.

Then after teaching the kid's karate last night, one of the young girls inspired me to enter. She had had a really bad headache and later after coming back from sitting out really wanted to jump in the sparring we had them doing, and her face was just beaming with smiles while sparring, and even did two rounds. Really was a heartwarming moment, and after that I just said screw it I'm entering. Such a 180° flip haha!

This is the absolutely the least prep that I've done for my tournaments, but having trained in other styles has helped with some conditioning anyway. Considering how not well I've been I'm glad I didn't tack on too much tournament prep training as well...

But I'm certainly going to try and employ what I learned in my time in TKD recently ;).

I'm definitely going in this just for the experience and to be a part of the event. I think my placing in the events will be more indicative of what I've learned from previous tournaments and partly where I'm at in my training at the moment. Here's hoping there are actual other competitors in my division this year haha.

Rock 'n roll!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Was such a battle deciding this haha. And yesterday during the day I even decided that no I wouldn't enter, it would be too much.

Then after teaching the kid's karate last night, one of the young girls inspired me to enter. She had had a really bad headache and later after coming back from sitting out really wanted to jump in the sparring we had them doing, and her face was just beaming with smiles while sparring, and even did two rounds. Really was a heartwarming moment, and after that I just said screw it I'm entering. Such a 180° flip haha!

This is the absolutely the least prep that I've done for my tournaments, but having trained in other styles has helped with some conditioning anyway. Considering how not well I've been I'm glad I didn't tack on too much tournament prep training as well...

But I'm certainly going to try and employ what I learned in my time in TKD recently ;).

I'm definitely going in this just for the experience and to be a part of the event. I think my placing in the events will be more indicative of what I've learned from previous tournaments and partly where I'm at in my training at the moment. Here's hoping there are actual other competitors in my division this year haha.

Rock 'n roll!
Of course your competition should have a lot to do with it. haha Best of luck and let us know how it goes. That is an inspiring story about the girl. I'm glad I am still moved by stories like that. The little things in life.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course your competition should have a lot to do with it. haha Best of luck and let us know how it goes. That is an inspiring story about the girl. I'm glad I am still moved by stories like that. The little things in life.
Thanks heaps man, yeah for sure it was so nice to see.

See how we go! [emoji109]

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Rock 'n roll!

Go have fun, brother!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Rock 'n roll!
As my Aussie friends say... all the best, mate.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ugh....... have been pretty disgustingly sick with something nasty for the past week, and tournament is on Sunday... no idea if I'll be up for it or not, still feel horrible.

Haven't even been able to train this week at all, or even move much. And in fact this is probably the least prep that I've ever done for a tournament haha. But the aim is to enter solely to enjoy it, and hopefully learn something new. Am just going to let my body do what it already knows and to trust it, rather than overthink too much.

In good news my pelvic stuff has settled right down and been really good the last week :) (after some more good ol dry needling). Just trying to let this cold run out...

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jacob has a Tournament Saturday, but.....tonight in the junior high basketball game, he took a nasty fall and we are pretty sure he separated his shoulder. Taking him to doctor first thing in the morning. :(

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jacob has a Tournament Saturday, but.....tonight in the junior high basketball game, he took a nasty fall and we are pretty sure he separated his shoulder. Taking him to doctor first thing in the morning. :(
Ah crap! Hope he's alright mate that's no good... all the best, and hope it's not too bad

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ugh....... have been pretty disgustingly sick with something nasty for the past week, and tournament is on Sunday... no idea if I'll be up for it or not, still feel horrible.

Haven't even been able to train this week at all, or even move much. And in fact this is probably the least prep that I've ever done for a tournament haha. But the aim is to enter solely to enjoy it, and hopefully learn something new. Am just going to let my body do what it already knows and to trust it, rather than overthink too much.

In good news my pelvic stuff has settled right down and been really good the last week :) (after some more good ol dry needling). Just trying to let this cold run out...

How are you feeling today?

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
How are you feeling today?

Am feeling relatively good actually! Definitely alot better, the cold has mostly gone, but still quite a persisting, irritating cough... but I should be fine for today. Kind of you to ask :)

Morning of the tournament... let's do this...

Latest Discussions