Tournament time..... :)

Discussion in 'The Competitive Edge' started by _Simon_, Apr 8, 2018.

1. pdg

pdg Master Black Belt

How does the scoring work with non contact?

2. Michele123

Michele123 Orange Belt

Glad it went well for you! Was the tournament sparring only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Brown Belt

Yeah it was only sparring. Wish there was a forms division as well! But just the noncontact in the morning, and full contact/knockdown in the afternoon.
    There are four corner judges and one head judge. I believe the judges have clickers. An ippon (full point) is awarded for a clear decisive kick to the head or body, and it can't have been partially blocked or avoided; also if a strong clean well placed fist combination that is not even partially blocked gets an ippon.

A waza-ari (half point) is awarded for: fist strike to body, round kick to outside of thigh, a clear kick to the head that wasn't blocked effectively (so partially blocked or attempted block but it got through).

Each technique only scores if it has:

1) Good form
    2) Strong application
    3) Correct timing
    4) Correct distance
    5) Good focus

Obviously noncontact is basically techniques that are controlled and pulled just short of the target. Warnings/penalties are issued for any contact to the head or face, or excessive contact to the body. There are also a few other prohibited techniques and behaviours.

Rounds are one and a half to two minutes-ish.

The knockdown division is a whole other beast altogether haha.

4. _Simon_

_Simon_ Brown Belt

All-styles tournament approaching in about 4 weeks! Gonna enter the kata/forms and point sparring. They also have continuous sparring available, but honestly i really love the point sparring and find it a really exciting format. Again like the last tournament, I'm taking a much more relaxed approach, doing some extra days of training at home but really just making sure I'm doing it because enjoying it. If I place and qualify for the State titles, then I'll ramp up the training a bit more.

The tourney organisation is holding a special Point Sparring Seminar this Sunday for people competing in my state with Sensei Bruce Hyland, a very renowned 7th Dan instructor and also coach for many successful competitors. Only about an hour and a half drive or so. I've signed up, really looking forward to it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michele123

Michele123 Orange Belt

That sounds really neat! I hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. dvcochran

dvcochran Blue Belt

• Supporting Member
    Good luck Simon. Remember, it not a point/stop match so don't expect a lull in the competition after an exchange. Been there, done that.

7. dvcochran

dvcochran Blue Belt

• Supporting Member
    That is an incredible weight loss! Great job. 170 at 6'4" sounds a little slim. Good luck with the CCIE. I often with network engineers in my work and have heard them talk about how challenging it is.

8. _Simon_

_Simon_ Brown Belt

Cheers Michele :). Yeah it was awesome, I am absolutely exhaaaauusted haha but got alot out of it. He's such a great coach, very kind, friendly and patient man. Went through a bunch of different drills, and it was fairly fast-paced and intense for most of the 2-2+1/2 hours, so I'm actually stoked that I got through the session completely pain free, which is a massive deal for me considering how things have been. So feeling really good about things at the moment :).

My calves and quads particularly are gonna be so sore tomorrow haha, and near the end of the session, about 15 minutes to go my big toe skin tore off and blood went everywhere haha. Managed to go quickly patch it up and continue without missing anything, but ouch...
    Cheers mate! That tournament has already come and gone but much appreciated. It was a different format but was used to that in normal dojo sparring. Was a great challenge![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. dvcochran

dvcochran Blue Belt

• Supporting Member
    Awesome! That is how MA is done! Keep going. There is some much to find in the small and difficult thing in class.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Isn't that a bit a of a double edged sword as the guys you'll be fighting will have learnt the exact same drills lol

11. dvcochran

dvcochran Blue Belt

• Supporting Member
    May very well be true on knowing the same skills but execution is 70% of the success in a points tourney. IMHO

12. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Yes I know I was joking lol I just had a vision of these guys fighting and no one scoring any points because eveeyone knew the techniques and kept defending everything and the match just goes on for hours lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. _Simon_

_Simon_ Brown Belt

Hahaha! Yeah true that would make for an interesting situation XD. It was people from all different ages and divisions, and I actually don't think anyone there would be in my division now that I think about it. But you make a good and amusing point XD

14. _Simon_

_Simon_ Brown Belt

Tournament coming up in less than two weeks, am still on the fence as to whether to enter... have been quite unwell with bad reflux stuff, but I'm leaning towards just goin for it!

An all-styles tournament, and most likely entering the point sparring and forms/kata division.

Been a much more relaxed preparation approach again which is nice, and if I place in this one and qualify for the state titles, then I'll ramp up the training schedule.

Tonight was going to do just a little stance work and general mobility and stretching stuff, but ended up doing 45 minutes of straight kata stuff hehe. Working on solely on one kata the whole time. Decided I'll perform Pinan Yon (4) for the tournament. I performed this last year and did well, but it was only me and one other fellow. So hoping to go against many competitors with this one this time.

I broke it down and really worked on the stances and transitions in the kata, trying to get each stance in good alignment and working on the finer points before adding in the hand techniques. Going up and down the hallway drilling each stance (mainly kokutsu dachi and zenkutsu dachi). Definitely need to learn to relax more during movements and the inbetween phases. And also the knee collapsing in a bit I need to work on. I actually saw some drills where you use rubber tubing around the legs, and doing stances and pushing your knees out against the resistance the whole time, to help correct the collapsing in, might be worth a shot..

But it's feeling good, I only went through the whole kata once at the very end to bring it all together. And trying to add my own style to it, slow down where I feel it's appropriate and not rush the whole thing either.

15. dvcochran

dvcochran Blue Belt

• Supporting Member
    Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

16. _Simon_

_Simon_ Brown Belt

Thanks mate appreciate it, will do :)