Tongbei

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My first Sifu was for all intensive purposes is a Wushu guy but he knew 2 styles (which I believe he learned before going to the Wushu college). To this day I do not understand (other than large sums of cash) why he didn't opt to teach them instead of the Wushu and later adding all sorts of fake lineage claims in order to justify the multiple styles he now claims to master. And of course ruining his reputation in the CMA world in the process, but he does have large sums of cash.

He knew Shandong province old style Chen and it was hard training (but it was great) and he only taught it twice, there was no money in it, start with 30 students end with 6. He also knew Tongbei which he never taught at all, but on occasion I got to watch him train it.

(I watched my first sifu do this and it was amazing to watch and he was considerably faster, of course he was younger at the time too)

http://www.ycgf.org/YCGF_Videos/TongbeiQuan.html

Last edited by a moderator:

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was in China many moons ago, I worked with "Coach" (I still have a hard time with that...) Gao Xian, who led the first Beijing Wushu Team here back in the early 70's. His favorite thing was Dongbei...very powerful stuff.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I was in China many moons ago, I worked with "Coach" (I still have a hard time with that...) Gao Xian, who led the first Beijing Wushu Team here back in the early 70's. His favorite thing was Dongbei...very powerful stuff.

It was amazing to watch but most unfortunately he went another route

The Shandong Chen style was amazing as well I have always wondered what his school would be like today if he just taught the Chen he knew, Tongbei and then stuck to the Wushu he was trained in college instead of going the route he did.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is Tongbei a style? Where did it originate from? I have a form called Tongbei...would it be from that style?