OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thing that made me squirm in the training exercises Andrew posted is a similar philosophy in a personal excellence seminar I took once. The idea was that if someone throws negative comments your way, you just completely deflect them, not bringing them into your mind. The imagery was taking a negative rock, crushing it and dropping it. The affect of these people was the same as Cruise and Travolta - crazy eyes, a smirky smile, an attitude that they've got it all figured out they're THE answer ... THE helpers.

The idea was that you create positive changes in your life and thereby affect others, you don't accept negativity, you self-program, you diffuse other people who attempt to rattle you.

But I think there is a line Scientology has crossed here; the difference between behavior modification for positive self-management and brainwashing.

Where do you folks draw the line?

I think the lawsuits are indicative of a systemic ill - a manifest mental illness in these people. They are taking honest criticism and turning it into negativity, defamation, etcetera.

But what about the individual prep?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm putting the odds at 40% that Bob and MT will start taking fire for this discussion from the CoS.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm putting the odds at 40% that Bob and MT will start taking fire for this discussion from the CoS.

You are probably right
One would think they are secure enough in their faith to not have to attack a poor little martial arts discussion board. Should I repeat the auditing command? :uhyeah:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
One would think they are secure enough in their faith to not have to attack a poor little martial arts discussion board. Should I repeat the auditing command? :uhyeah:

That or Bob should start his own religion Martialtology or MartialTalkology and live by L Ron's quote

If you want to make a little money, write a book. If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard

Or move this to the study so it is harder to see.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well considering that we are all here already... so I guess the next question is... for the newbies...

WHATS YOUR ART? HUH?? WHATS YOUR ART??! What are you trying to hide? WHATS YOUR ART? TELL US!

(heh...)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see how the MMA vs. TMA threads are going to go:

OP: MMA is superior than X because most fights go to the ground and X doesn't train for that.

Respondent: You must be a child molester or a tax cheat. There's no other reason why you would have attacked me like that. I'm going to have a word with all your neighbors and your employer.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the worst they can do is shut the site down, put me out of business, and force me into bankruptcy. I have faith that our members will contribute to the high legal bills such a battle will generate.

Scientology has it's critics, and is very aggressive in shutting them down. Spend some time on Google and other search engines and it's a long read. I've read some of them, it was, interesting reading.

Mr. Cruise is welcome to his opinions, and I find it interesting the number of Hollywood actors who are members of CoS. It's rather a high number.

I know several Scientologists, a few are members here, and they seem quite happy an quite excited about it. They are good people. But while I may see some merit in some of the ideas mentioned, it's not a path for me.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know several Scientologists, a few are members here, and they seem quite happy an quite excited about it. They are good people. But while I may see some merit in some of the ideas mentioned, it's not a path for me.

Unfortunately, I can't take such a live-and-let-live attitude about scientology. While I have no doubt that individual members are good people, such as you describe, the organization as a whole is very harmful. In fact, one could say that members such as you know are the greatest victims!

The only thing the rest of us have going for us is that scientology is very small, and unlikely to grow very much. Its harm will be limited. Unfortunately, the harm it does cause is still real and should be stopped.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_McPherson
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/essays/timeline.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narconon#Controversies
http://www.xenu.net/archive/events/20010911-tragedy/
http://scientology-facts.blogspot.com/2005/11/child-abuse-systemic-in-scientology.html

There are many, many others.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend of mine has had some dealings with an offshoot group that were quite ugly. I'm just not interested in having the same experience, y'know? I want a headache, I'll stickfight. lol