tkd

C

chiro4

There are some MA out there that think TKD sucks. I have no opinion about this since I have not studied this art. Why is TKD so popular? There has to be some merit to this art for it to be popular. What is your opinion?

OP
M

markulous

I don't think TKD sucks. But I have noticed most of the places that are crap tend to teach that martial art. TKD is a hard art to master because a lot of the kicks that require both speed and power. The problems I have with it is the same as any other style that is a "hard" style: it puts power against power and generally that's not a good situation to be in.

As for the popularity I am not sure. Maybe because it was similar to Karate but had a different name so it had more market value. Or it has a lot of kicks which is an attraction.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
chiro4 said:
There are some MA out there that think TKD sucks. I have no opinion about this since I have not studied this art. Why is TKD so popular? There has to be some merit to this art for it to be popular. What is your opinion?
It is hard to say "TKD" because the stuff that is making it out of Korea and the military style still taught and required for promotion/rank are VERY different.

I wouldn't say that TKD 'sucks' because, well, I have had my ASH handed to me by some good TKD stylists. I would say that TKD (civilian/my exposure to it) is a type of 'traditionalistic' art that is very true to the Confusioninstic/paramilitary culture of the nation/time of it's creation. A clear chain of command in the belt ranking, a clear set of requirements for promotion, a high emphasis on personal perfection and devotion to the cause (training), a demand that you find the meaning in training and translate that to everyday life (like a soldier in the military applies his 'leadership traits' in every action he does) and a high value on physical fitness.

I liked the work outs in TKD, just didn't fit my focus/goals in the long term.

Now, if there are some 'McDojo' places out there that are teaching TKD, that would have more to do with the business model/person running the show than the art. It is a shame that the art will be affected though.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are there so many doing TKD? Probably because there are alot of dojangs either good or bad. Just like in any MA, there is good and bad instructors, schools. Also, it has gotten more known because of the Olympics.

Taekwondo for me is 90% kicking, 10-20% punching etc. I used to run, do aerobics, but I have never been in such great physical condition, and at 55. (aside from my bad knees which I basically ruined running) I love the spinning kicks, the forms, the breaking, the sparring, and the teaching. I love the fact that when you feel like you are physically just wasted from a 2-3 hr. bb test so far, you can reach deep inside and pull out enough energy to do one more jump back kick to your opponent. I think it is one of the more physically demanding arts and because of it, the cardiovascular advantages are tremendous for health and strength. The high kicking, the repetition and amount of kicking we do offers superior leg strength that can't be experienced unless you practice the way we do. Those that are the most critical of TKD don't really know it. A year or two in the art, does not do it as they are still beginners. I realized a big difference in power, at red and later a year after reaching BB.

I also want to add, that the mental aspects for some are just, or maybe more important. The tenets of TKD: Courtesty, integrity, self-control, indomitable spirit and perseverance. Also in our school the keys to success: Respect, repetition, patience, discipline and humility. All students do papers on these and are expected to work on these values in class and in life outside the dojang. TW

OP
S

sasquatchnaruto

I have fought a few TKD practicioners and they do not suck, but its like all other arts you get what you put into it, in my opinion TKD has been made out to be like an afterschool club from what i hear from some of my friends who took it.IMO this should not be,its martial arts not boy scouts

OP
T

tsunami

I think it is popular because of it's sport application. Did you watch the mens Olympic gold medal match? It may or may not have been a good representation. I for one was not impressed. But what it really comes down to is personal need. Up here in New England, snow covered roads, parking lots and sidewalks lend themselves to a more feet on the ground style (for me atleast).

Take it easy. George

OP

TKD is an excellent art when done properly, however the particular ones around my area train pretty much only for point fighting. So i dont really care much for those particular ones. My choice is not TKD however i have trained with a few TKD practitioners who were very good and hard to beat in practice.

Kunoichi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A lot of tkd schools (that i know of) are just what people expect when they think of martial arts - the clothes, the heirarchy, sparring, board breaking and flashy style. I think this appeals to many who are interested in begining MA.
Also, tkd is as well known as karate in most parts these days and people like what they're familiar with. Many clubs seem very family orientated too.

Its a good question. I have quite a few TKD friends who i've asked this too before.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting into the olympics helped TKD's popularity a great deal. OTOH, olympic sparring's been extremely limited, (No punching to the head, hand techniques are discouraged strongly, so players spar with arms at their sides etc) so people looking at what goes on in the Olympics and thinking "Oh. So that's TKD." has greatly hurt the art's credibility.

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Definately. I remember thinking, how on earth can you spar without your hands???

I think TKD had some very strong kicks that set it apart from other styles - and I don't mean spinning flying etc. kicks either. Unfortunately it stays in the long-medium range for sparring/fighting, although in my club we work some close-range self-defense, too.
Also you've got to remember that TKD is just a general term for the eight or so different schools (chung do kwan, etc.) of "korean karate".

-Flamebearer

Latest Discussions