Does this make sense and what would you do?

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I was reading this book and came across a combat situation that I was kind of skeptical about.

There's this lady MAist who's mainly trained in TKD and she's making one of those last brave stands against hordes of gun-slinging invaders (military). She's armed with two knives, maybe 6-8 in. long. The attackers are clustering around this sliding door. She doesn't know they're there, bursts through the door, and starts kicking and slashing. I think the idea is that she creates so much confusion that she takes out maybe a dozen before getting shot by a rifleman/sniper type. As she goes down she throws a knife and gets the main bad guy in the throat.

To my way of thinking, kicks would push the attackers back and give them room to aim and shoot without fear of hitting their own.

Anyway, what do you think? And what would you do if you were in that situation (if of course you ever were :rolleyes: )?

-Flamebearer

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Lots of questions there. How big is the room? What kind of guns? Is there no other point of entry? Daytime or nightime?

I understand it's a book and (hopefully) fiction, therefore there has to be some suspension of belief.

What would I do? First, I wouldn't storm into a room without knowing exactly what I'm getting into. If I had no other choice, I'd open the door and bait the closest attacker, forcing them to come to me in smaller numbers through the door. If too many make it out, duck inside and repeat the process until they're all taken out. If they don't take the bait, pick up one of the dead guys guns and start shooting. :)

Interesting situation though. Will have to think more about that one.

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Apologies for not being too clear. It is fiction.

She already did what you suggested - and now she's trying to get out of the room (through the door :) ) because her previous opponents from an earlier chapter rushed her. As she goes through the door she has no idea that there's other people out there. So she's got people behind and in front to deal with as she goes into the situation I described.

I agree it is an interesting problem.
-Flamebearer

divide and attack in both directions. uh maybe. or run really fast. or theres always the go out in a blaze of glory option.

B

Baytor

So did she plan to get into an altercation that got kinda out of control? Because a planned response would be far different than an unplanned one.

M

Mark Weiser

Unless the people outside are armed to the teeth with weapons. I would use the door as a funnel to keep them from rushing me from the outside. Once I stepped outside I would have gone right back into the room. Focus on those coming into the room.

Of course a flashbang or a grenade or two would be nice at this point. Of course who brings a Knife to a gunfight anyway?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
One person armed only with two knives against a bunch of guys with automatic weapons...she's f***ed.

Facing that many people you'd have to have something to even the odds, a claymore mine would be great, an M-203 grenade launcher, or an RPG would be acceptable, or like Mark Weiser said, grenades are always good although I don't think a flashbang would do a whole lot of good. But any of these options would have made it boring, I guess the Banzai charge with the knives makes for a better ending.

S

sasquatchnaruto

thats obviously fiction there lol i dont think it could ever happen in real life.

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Baytor said:
So did she plan to get into an altercation that got kinda out of control? Because a planned response would be far different than an unplanned one.
This was definately unplanned. I'm just wondering what you could do to take out as many people as you could before you went down - and as kenpotex says, there's the need for drama :jediduel:

Actually she had a gun in the previous chapter but she used up the ammo on the people inside the room. Then she had to go slip in the fresh blood and drop the gun, so you can't use that as a club. and who wants a club when you have knives?

I'm gonna start carrying a grenade or two in my purse....lol %-}

-Flamebearer

B

Baytor

She's skrewed. She should take a moment and say something witty. That way, when the soldiers look back on how they killed her, there will be a good punchline.

Of course, she could use another sort of distraction. If she pulled her shirt up and flashed everyone, they would all be distracted because lets face it... most guys have a one track mind. :jedi1:

O

Oak Bo

Baytor said:
If she pulled her shirt up and flashed everyone, they would all be distracted because lets face it... most guys have a one track mind.
I'd vote for that:rolleyes:

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Decidedly bad taste, guys. Not to mention a few other things.
I don't think it would work for a book - rate it "R"
-Flamebearer

B

Baytor

I'm sorry you feel that was in bad taste. While not the most polite thing to say, we are discussing how to kill a room full of armed people using two knives. I was attempting to use psychology and a study of human behavior to come up with a solution to a very difficult problem.

Again, sorry for the offense.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What kind of room was it? If it was a kitchen, she might have been able to mix some bleach and ammonia and toss it out there... or maybe make a good ol draino bomb...

Dunno.

But faced with two knives against a bunch of guns, Id be looking for an alternative to be sure...

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Quote: Baytor
I'm sorry you feel that was in bad taste. While not the most polite thing to say, we are discussing how to kill a room full of armed people using two knives. I was attempting to use psychology and a study of human behavior to come up with a solution to a very difficult problem.

Again, sorry for the offense.

===========

I do realize that there are psych aspects of self defense - and another person might resort to such a method. But personally, I'd die first. There's some things I just won't do. That's my take on it.

BTW, this was a basement. No windows - or you could jump out of one.

-Flamebearer

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flamebearer said:
But personally, I'd die first. There's some things I just won't do. That's my take on it.
-Flamebearer
Wow.

Hmm.

Wow.

Thats conviction to a belief, right there. :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flamebearer said:
Ok, I was reading this book and came across a combat situation that I was kind of skeptical about.

There's this lady MAist who's mainly trained in TKD and she's making one of those last brave stands against hordes of gun-slinging invaders (military). She's armed with two knives, maybe 6-8 in. long. The attackers are clustering around this sliding door. She doesn't know they're there, bursts through the door, and starts kicking and slashing. I think the idea is that she creates so much confusion that she takes out maybe a dozen before getting shot by a rifleman/sniper type. As she goes down she throws a knife and gets the main bad guy in the throat.

To my way of thinking, kicks would push the attackers back and give them room to aim and shoot without fear of hitting their own.

Anyway, what do you think? And what would you do if you were in that situation (if of course you ever were :rolleyes: )?

-Flamebearer

Well, I could see a chaotic combat taking place. A bunch of guys in Camo's all geeked up and carrying assault rifles and othe weapons.

She jumps through the door way and the guys relax as it is a female, and then they see the knife or knives as she has pulled it out of the first guy(s). One or two down, or soon to be down. She kicks to the knees or stomps the shins to create room as she jumps to the next guys to stab. While she is screaming the whole time.

Now the question is why do they just do not shoot her? If she makes it to the group and the firing of a weapon would cause firendly fire into their own troops, someting troops are trained to try to avoid and to maintain muzzle awareness for safety.

Is it possible for her to have been able to attack and wound and or a few? Yes.

The part I have the problem with is the Knife throw and beign able to kill the person. :) Yes, this is much harder than it looks.

Just my thoughts on this piece of fiction.

:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Just my thoughts on this piece of fiction.

Baaahhh, Bulls**t. This exact scenario actually happened to Rich a few years ago. His response was to swing the biggest guy around like a baseball bat to knock everyone down, and then to crush all their heads with a single sweep of his king-kong like hands...

:D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Baaahhh, Bulls**t. This exact scenario actually happened to Rich a few years ago. His response was to swing the biggest guy around like a baseball bat to knock everyone down, and then to crush all their heads with a single sweep of his king-kong like hands...

:D

:angel: Honestly, it did not :rolleyes:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

You had me in tears.

OP
Flamebearer

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Thats conviction to a belief, right there. :asian:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks "Life is not worth living unless you have something to die for."

Somebody famous said that, can't remember who - but I don't think it was Yoda:) :jedi1:

Yeah, the King Kong thing might work - if you happened to be KK. :ultracool

If you screamed would that draw more attackers? and if it did would that be good or bad? More chaos, yes, but wouldn't it increase your chances of getting shot?

-Flamebearer