Defending yourself cold

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
MmmÂ… I have had many similar thought waves. I go to a school with a gang problem the size of Canada (IÂ’m Canadian, so donÂ’t start). So IÂ’ve run myself through many drills to help me out, gone through the process of figuring out every possible place I might be attacked (I donÂ’t like gangsters to much), and made it clear to every one I will not hit unless I KNOW YOU WILL REGRET IT, AND I WILL NOT. So here is my advice, from personal experience, a research.
  • When you fight hit with hands to the upper body (belt and up, but be realistic)
  • You can kick, but know when and were to kick. Best places are the groin (resort), inner thigh (be careful, not always a viable target), knees (resort, they could break), and thatÂ’s really about it for the most part.
  • Knees, inner thigh sometimes, groin (resort), and abdomen. If you pull your opponent down, you could smash their face with your knee. A common tactic of styles from Southeast Asia, especially Thai.
  • Elbows to the side of the face. If you end up on the ground, you could go for the groin (resort)
  • Grappling can be good. ItÂ’s mostly a matter of the kind of grappling. Low throws can be more realistic then high throws; takedowns can be more realistic then low throws. But he opposite could just as easily be true. If you are trying to restrain a mild threat, a take down and pin would be best. A high threat (say someoneÂ’s trying to kill you or someone else) a high, well executed, throw followed by either a painful lock, or break would be best.
  • Weapons, ABSOLUTLY, FINAL, NO OTHER CHOICE, LAST RESORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And then when you do, use no mercy, no compassion. Go in to kill, for there is no alternative. If you feel it is time to even hold one, then your opponent is of the intent to kill you, and feels he must, and will with no compassion. So now it is time for you to kill him. Unless you truly feel safe letting someone who wants to destroy you, walk away.
  • Words: best
Use self-protection first. Try to avoid the situation all together. Go in a group, do your best to avoid having have to use self-defense. For this you must find out what self-protection means. I got off topic, but I feel it is necessary to say.
Maybe sometime I should write down all my research onto one paper and see about getting it published. Say in black belt magazine, or a related one.

Sweet Bright Bless Your Blade,

John

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh there are a lot of times I really like the training I got in Silat..this is one of them. The entire system revolves around not being ready for an attack. Just react. Keep your kicks low and compact, get a hold of the guys head as soon as possible and control the weapon arm. Not in that order...but point being just do something. Dont worry about "Oh hell ya, lets do one of those flying bicycle kicks I did in class or something" F that, just break that attacker in any way you can. If you need to be ugly and not to any kata...who the F cares. In a fight or flight situtation, you choose. But if you choose to fight...you must do everything in your power to not only attack 110% but use enough force to ensure that person doesnt get a second attack when you walk away.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awareness is the key here. Virtually every self-defense situation has several indicators leading up to it. Paying attention to your surroundings, to the people near you, to your own intuition will mean you never go into a situation 'cold'. You won't have time to stretch and do a few jumping jacks, but you'll be ready to throw down.

Or better yet, to leave the area as quickly as possible.

For more on the subject, I recommend 'The Gift of Fear' by Gavin DeBecker. He goes into detail on the most common 'pre-incident indicators' that should key you into hyperawareness.

Peace & Strength,

Jason Brick

OP
J

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love the thoughtfull responses. I always believed that no matter the prep. in training there is "almost" no chance to ready yourself on the street, especially when most attackers in the street are trying to take you out without you putting up a fight. I am sure Police records prove that attackers on the street can be very cunning and will give you no quarter. Thanks for the insights. PEACE

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I think anyone that initiates a fight with a jump spin kick outside of sport karate / tkd rules is in for a whopping....

That said, fight or flight hits, adrehnaline kicks in and you'll not realise you pulled something until the next morning :)

I agree with that totally! You're not going to feel any pain when you're in the heat of battle. The next day will be a different story!

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jimi said:
Opinions welcome, What do some of you think about the fact that most street attacks happen quickly and some trained skills take too much warm up or prep. EXAMPLE: Jump spinning hook kick to the head. Granted many TKD practioners may pull this off with little or no warning, but what of those who can not. Does anyone share my opinion that skills that can be done cold are more practical than ones that require much more maintenence. If your skills can not be done effectively cold so to speak you are at a disadvantage. Please do not take issue with the fact that I used TKD jump spinning kicks as an example, not taking pot shots at TKD, want opinions on responding cold to a threat. PEACE

The chances of me pulling off a jump spinning anything are Zero in the heat of battle. This very question is why we do very little warm up before we start class.

V/R

Rick

Mr.Rooster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With practice as often as possible and daily stretching you as an individual should find what you can that will work for you in instantaneous combat scenario's. Of course, this is a very personal mission and we all ought to investigate our personal limitations and work on them.

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
if you want to be able to kick at your full height and with power, you need to do dynamic stretching twice a day, everyday.

This DVD is very good at showing you how to have high kicks without warming up. Is from the Tom Kurz camp.

http://www.stadion.com/power.html

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jimi said:
Opinions welcome, What do some of you think about the fact that most street attacks happen quickly and some trained skills take too much warm up or prep. EXAMPLE: Jump spinning hook kick to the head. Granted many TKD practioners may pull this off with little or no warning, but what of those who can not. Does anyone share my opinion that skills that can be done cold are more practical than ones that require much more maintenence. If your skills can not be done effectively cold so to speak you are at a disadvantage. Please do not take issue with the fact that I used TKD jump spinning kicks as an example, not taking pot shots at TKD, want opinions on responding cold to a threat. PEACE

No offense, but the most direct shot would be best - push kick to the diaphram, side kick to the knee, snap kick to the groin or knee to the ribs, elbow strike to the mouth ; with the appropriate number of strikes afterwards to ensure that the opponent realizes he/ she should move on. These can all be done "cold" and would be most effective at stopping an opponent.

My first instructor always told us - go for what works not what looks good.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I think anyone that initiates a fight with a jump spin kick outside of sport karate / tkd rules is in for a whopping....

That said, fight or flight hits, adrehnaline kicks in and you'll not realise you pulled something until the next morning :)

Agreed!!!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The adrenline response will heat/warm your body for a fight or flee response, you body will also numb it self from hits. Won't hurt as much till it is over.

In a real fight ..think...fight back ...keep it simple and do not get fancy. Things will happen very fast (it will seem like slow motion many times).

Focus on your tarkets you want to hit or destroy. Think about how
to end this quickly. Go for the "eyes"..take their ability to see. (rake them)

Keeping moving around, don't stand there and exchange punches....use anything around you for weapons...no such thing as a fair fight...Run when you can...better to live a little longer...than try to act tuff!

Anyone can hit their head on the ground or wall or corner of something and get killed...best to run or leave at first chance.........Aloha

We practice something we call "one timing" ...10 of them...involves someone who wants to hurt you...we do simple techniques..blocks, strikes and run ......just seconds to do these......Aloha

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe in the K.I.S.S. principle when it comes to reality self defense.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most fights will be fast,furious,chaos,anything goes....non-stop till someone is hurt or quits...no time to think...just reactions to what you have learn. ..and very exhausting.

Many of you heard..." the way you train is the way you will fight!" ..this is so true....hope you will never really find this out...(only by getting into a real fight you will know).

Those with the most endurance...will have the edge, after the first few minutes. Most fights do not last this long,(someone usually breaks it up).

Defending yourself cold...who will get a chance to warm-up...? You can tell the other guy wait a few minutes....let me stretch and warm-up first?

In the mean time the other guy will be looking for something to hit you with? ............NO harm in asking though......Aloha

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Brandon Fisher said:

Sorry, K I S S? Haven't heard of that one - can you explain please?

Thanks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
Sorry, K I S S? Haven't heard of that one - can you explain please?

Thanks

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

At least that is one version that I know. There may be others.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon Fisher said:

I second that!!! Chances are, we may not have the time to go thru a long technique, as things are constantly going to be changing. Simple, effective moves are the way to go IMHO.

Mike

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just try to be aware of my body condition as the day goes by. And I stretch throughout the day and pracicing kicking (in my work clothes). This is really mostly so come class in the evening I'm ready to go, but it has the benefit that shuod I need to out of class, I'm ready to go.

Agreed though that a jump spin hook-kick is not my first thought when it comes to defending myself

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
without warm up, you're likely to use punches, kicks (basic), blocks and arm grabs. don't expect to do any facy 3-step takedowns either.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Warm up is for training so you get less injurys. But real fights Have no warm up and you do waht you do. Besides high kicks are a danger zone on the streets You might get one off but the chance that you take might be aginst you in the end. Any high kicks should be follow up after you have loosened the person up some to allow it.