TKD Dobak or Starfleet Uniform?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If the issue is identifying gender between both males and females, it would be even easier if the guys had to wear the same outfit, and we wouldn't want the guys to miss out on all the opportunities for the benefits of the "latest advances in medicine and physiotherapy."

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why pussyfoot around? Tuck in the top and make the neckline dip a little lower. :eyeroll:

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Before I glanced at the page, I just now went back to see how serious it was. This "benefit" is a true gem.

The most important reason is to take a better advantage of our female competitors because they are a treasure. It is important to show that practicing Taekwondo gives good health, helps to stay fit and gives a beautiful body shape. This last issue must be exploited and must be used to promote Taekwondo in this specific moment, after the success in the Olympics and a great World Championship, to attract television and mass media interest.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not only not a fan of the look of the dobok, but also the reason that "The most important reason is to take a better advantage of our female competitors because they are a treasure," is quite sexist. They might as well have said, "they don't look hot enough in the current dobok, so we came up with this." Come on ladies, makes ya wanna sign up. Am I right?! :uhoh:

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
"It is important to show that practising Taekwondo gives good health, helps to stay fit and gives a beautiful body shape."

The uniform only works on the model in the photo because she is thin with small breasts. I doubt that a heavier woman (or a thin woman with larger breasts), would want to wear that in a typical TKD dojang.

The uniform would be a turn-off for new practitioners if it were adopted at the recreational level.

The quote above presumes the woman has a "beautiful body shape"; what if she does not?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Taekwondo needs to represent achievement in athleticism and character; sexualizing uniforms takes away from both. Males and females look great through fitness and how they can learn to move. Otherwise we should just share uniforms with beach volleyball.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I am not for sexualizing uniforms, I'm all for a an option of uniform thats actually cut for a woman -- as opposed to simply recycling a man's uniform and calling it "unisex". To be honest, I'd be more comfortable training in a uniform like this than any of the other styles I've had to wear.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This looks like something to wear to bed or a light work in the dojang. Plus just another sales gimmick. All males are not ripped and not all females are thin and look like her. They should modeled thin and average size weman. But you know, I don't see too many females that are large in WTF sparring matches.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I take that back. Here are two larger weman sparring. Maybe they will like the new uniforms.

Last edited by a moderator:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It should be more about training and not how we look doing it. One standard uniform puts the focus on technique and not the individual.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I am not for sexualizing uniforms, I'm all for a an option of uniform thats actually cut for a woman -- as opposed to simply recycling a man's uniform and calling it "unisex". To be honest, I'd be more comfortable training in a uniform like this than any of the other styles I've had to wear.

Carol go to Mooto. Best they have a uniform strickley for women. It is design with the curves of a women body but still looks like a traditional dobook. My wife loves the thing, says it is the best fitting uniform she ever wore. She hates this new uniform period

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol go to Mooto. Best they have a uniform strickley for women. It is design with the curves of a women body but still looks like a traditional dobook. My wife loves the thing, says it is the best fitting uniform she ever wore. She hates this new uniform period

Thanks Terry! You're right that is a nice looking uniform. That's more along the lines of where I was thinking.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol go to Mooto. Best they have a uniform strickley for women.

The issue then becomes whether a person can wear a "non-school" uniform. Schools I have been too have mostly required the "school" uniform with the school name on it.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The issue then becomes whether a person can wear a "non-school" uniform. Schools I have been too have mostly required the "school" uniform with the school name on it.

For Kukki-TKD schools, encourage your master to order Mooto dobok. It's good business.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not Klingon (any series). Reminds me of the Sandman uniforms from Logan's Run though.

Latest Discussions