Time To Brew Some Dit Da Jow

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
b8a7dc952fcc341c8a4bcc1f6918c706.jpg

9db13a7e4a0d9bfaf3759f6f41377cbb.jpg

So are there any other people that brew their own Jow or equivalents of it on this forum?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never brewed any, no. I haven't seen any in a long time. Long time ago we used to buy it in Boston's Chinatown section. We were under the impression it was used for toughening of the skin and used to put it on our knuckles and feet. It might be the most foul smelling stuff I've ever encountered - which made us think it must work great. I have no idea what the heck it actually was.

Does it work well for bruises? And does the stuff you use have a strong odor?

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I never brewed any, no. I haven't seen any in a long time. Long time ago we used to buy it in Boston's Chinatown section. We were under the impression it was used for toughening of the skin and used to put it on our knuckles and feet. It might be the most foul smelling stuff I've ever encountered - which made us think it must work great. I have no idea what the heck it actually was.

Does it work well for bruises? And does the stuff you use have a strong odor?

I believe all of it has a strong odor some might have a bit more of a fermented odor because there's varieties that use different forms of alcohol.

There's different formulas for different conditions and people use them for different reasons. (Conditioning and Healing Jow's would be the two main categories)

I personally have used them on injuries that ranged from muscle bruises, bruised tendons & bones along with a few chipped or fractured bones.

I personally know while using Jow that they take surface bruises away allot quicker then not using it and also believe they help allot
with deeper tendon and bone bruising.

I wish I knew about Jows when I was doing my MMA/Grappling training because I feel I would have been able to recover from a few injuries allot quicker hell i wish I knew about Jow's while I was a teen that was in to BMX bike jumping LOL.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the heavy conditioning I do having some kind of jow formula is almost essential. Otherwise my forearms would be bruised all the time. The current mixture that I use I learned from a friend passing through a couple of summer's ago. (he is from the Southern Philippines) His is a Filipino blend similar to balur or the Indonesian Silat Balur. Great stuff!

D

Dylan9d

I used to use something similar but that was in my early days of Silat, now I don't need it anymore due to my hardened forearms. Did maybe a bit to much conditioning : )

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to use something similar but that was in my early days of Silat, now I don't need it anymore due to my hardened forearms. Did maybe a bit to much conditioning : )

I can't feel anything on my forearms or shins due to extensive conditioning but I still bruise. Maybe it is my fair complexion?

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can't feel anything on my forearms or shins due to extensive conditioning but I still bruise. Maybe it is my fair complexion?

Im about the same with my arms and shins but occasionally I will class shins or fore arms just perfect where it hits a pressure point or nerve bundle and then I'm like oh yeah there it is!!!!!

D

Dylan9d

When i did Krav Maga i used to get complaints that i did it to hard, but i i didnt do it harder than anyone else i just used my momentum on the last bit wich is coming from my Silat training and i had harder forearms than my training buddys :)

I do bruise if i do some conditioning but the bruises dont hurt at all can just keep going

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok you guys are upsetting me with all this silat talk since its one of the many styles I'd love to train but am unable to since there isn't an instructor near my residence.

D

Dylan9d

Ok you guys are upsetting me with all this silat talk since its one of the many styles I'd love to train but am unable to since there isn't an instructor near my residence.

We are you then? Maybe we can help you....

I don't want to derail the topic ofcourse :)

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We are you then? Maybe we can help you....

I don't want to derail the topic ofcourse :)

Good luck with that I'm out in Eastern WA state (Kennewick) there's a legit kali instructor where I'm at but unfortunately my work schedule messed up the opportunity to train with him. I am doing aikido which is taught more reality based compared to most aikido dojos so its keeping me entertained while I still continue learning since my goal is to never stop learning. The Aikido is also complementing my prior martial arts background so im pretty happy with it.

D

Dylan9d

Good luck with that I'm out in Eastern WA state (Kennewick) there's a legit kali instructor where I'm at but unfortunately my work schedule messed up the opportunity to train with him. I am doing aikido which is taught more reality based compared to most aikido dojos so its keeping me entertained while I still continue learning since my goal is to never stop learning. The Aikido is also complementing my prior martial arts background so im pretty happy with it.

You should never stop learning, but you will keep learning in 1 style or system, even if you completed the curriculum. You will learn to refine, and learn from your own mistakes.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

If I were in Washington state I would train with Stevan Plinck. Even if I could only make it there once in awhile. PUKULAN PENTJAK SILAT SERA PLINCK | Everything "SERA"

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use dit da jow pretty regularly-both home made with cheap vodka, and a few store-bought varieties, over the years-those mostly from curiousity, as my recipe seems to work pretty well.....

BTW, it's not strictly "brewed," if there's no boiling done-what you have with most dit da jow is a concoction and infusion.

just sayin'.....:lol:

OP
ST1Doppelganger

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I use dit da jow pretty regularly-both home made with cheap vodka, and a few store-bought varieties, over the years-those mostly from curiousity, as my recipe seems to work pretty well.....

BTW, it's not strictly "brewed," if there's no boiling done-what you have with most dit da jow is a concoction and infusion.

just sayin'.....:lol:

Thanks for the clarification well I can make it entertaining and put a bunch of 80 proof vodka over an open flame and brew it I'll just make sure to film it and youtube it when I set the house ablaze.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification well I can make it entertaining and put a bunch of 80 proof vodka over an open flame and brew it I'll just make sure to film it and youtube it when I set the house ablaze.

Some recipes might call for just that, and vodka will boil quite nicely wtihout setting the house ablaze........though not for long.:lol:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tried making my own with the vodka one time but ended up drinking most of the vodka.

In truth had a fomular years ago for making a dit da jow for my hands but somewhere in my travels I lost it. Stuff seemed to work very well. I do have a friend in Canada tat makes a batch every few years, it is put in the ground( in its jar) 7 feet down and he lets it sit there for over a years. He claims it makes a better jow that way.
I have bought some commercial stuff in the last few years for relief of some minor pain and that worked well also

Latest Discussions