Thinking outside the box

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Les

None of these answers are how Mr Parker explained how many sides triangles had to me :confused:

Les

This is not one of those "That's not how Mr. Parker showed me to do it." Jokes ... Is it?:(

Dan

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
<quote from somewhere else>

Question: how many kenpoists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer: one hundred. One to screw in the bulb and 99 to say "that's not how Mr. Parker showed me how to do it!"

hehe...not meant to offend anyone...it made me chuckle, so I passed it along. you all know I love all of you. :)

OP
T

tonbo

.....sorry....I was out last week while attending a week-long training session (computers!!)......

Yeah, I know Star Trek is fictional. I am not an obsessed fan. I also know that Kirk didn't really "beat" the scenario, and that he cheated. However.....

The Kobayashi Maru scenario (and many like it, in the real world) was indeed designed to teach that there are sometimes situations where you can't win. That's a given. However, Kirk's response was also a good "teaching": There are always those that refuse to believe in a no-win situation. To continue using the Star Trek analogy, there is a Klingon saying: "There are ALWAYS weapons".....meaning there is always a chance, no matter how slight.

Lemme reiterate here.....NO, I am not a total Trek-head...I have a life....but I have read a lot of the Klingon stuff. I kinda like them--they're fun.

Anyway.....thinking outside the box is always a lot like the refusal to give up. Sometimes, you gotta ignore what the "rules" are of the situation, and try something outrageous. The obvious answers ain't always the *right* ones......

And here's a "teaser", since a couple of others have been flying around......

A cowboy rides into town on Monday. He stays in town for two days, and then rides out on Monday. How?

Stupid, maybe....but it's one of the shorter ones I know..;)

Peace--

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

And here's a "teaser", since a couple of others have been flying around......

A cowboy rides into town on Monday. He stays in town for two days, and then rides out on Monday. How?

Could it be that his horse is called Monday?????

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Les

Could it be that his horse is called Monday?????

I didn't think of that. Great!!!! I was thinking time zones, space warps, but of course the name of the horse!!! Great thinking!!!!!

/Yari

OP
T

tonbo

Yep, you got it. Nice thinking....:)

Here's another fun way to mess with people's minds:

Tell them that you are going to ask them a series of questions, and that they should respond as quickly as possible. Then ask them the following questions:

1) What is the "monster" that is associated with Halloween and says "Boo"? (Ghost)

2) The person who is holding a party is called the .....? (Host)

3) A particular kind of meat, usually slow cooked, is called Pot...? (Roast)

Now that you have your trap set, spring it....:

4) What do you put in a toaster?

More often than not, the answer will be "Toast". However, that's not right. You put BREAD in a toaster--you get toast *out*. :)

Another good one, along the same lines: Ask someone the following, spelling the hyphenated words out.....

"If M-A-C-I-N-T-O-S-H spells 'Macintosh', and M-A-C-I-N-T-Y-R-E spells 'MacIntyre', then what does M-A-C-H-I-N-E spell?"

Laugh at them when they reply "MacHine". :)

Most times, these will work on people.....you get their mind headed in a certain way, and they follow it.

Plus, you get to have some fun at their expense......hehe.....

Peace--

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect man (or) woman you have been dreaming about.

There can only be one passenger in your car and you can't return to the bus stop once you have left it. Which one would you choose to offer a ride?

Think before you continue reading. This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job selection process so your future could depend on how you answer this question.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is ill, and thus you could save her first; or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this could be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect partner again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer.

WHAT DID HE SAY?
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
He answered: "I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the old lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams."

The moral of the story is that we can gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought limitations and "Think Outside of the
Box."

A great solution to a ticklish problem.

:asian:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

A great solution to a ticklish problem.

:asian:

Yes, what a great answer! I loved it.

/Yari

ps. the answer to my "thinking out of the box" was that the other perosn parks the car with the front into the wall, therefor the cold didn't "freeze" the motor.

Latest Discussions