“Best” Martial Art

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because reasons or Because that upsets you?

What are your cross training opportunities and online technical support like?

Any good?

Can you access and integrate world champions methodology?
It doesn’t upset me in the least. You are stating a lie, and I’m calling you out on it. BJJ and MMA are not superior arts.

Badhabits

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not understanding the obsession with matches and championships and such as being the deciding factor in which arts are superior/more effective. Again, there is a difference between fighting and not getting injured. I've trained mma and BJJ. Best thing ever if my goal is to out fight someone. Introduce weapons and multiple people.....I think there are better systems for dealing with that. So which one is superior?

Badhabits

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I want to add that mma and BJJ are both great. Just not geared towards my personal goals.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not understanding the obsession with matches and championships and such as being the deciding factor in which arts are superior/more effective. Again, there is a difference between fighting and not getting injured. I've trained mma and BJJ. Best thing ever if my goal is to out fight someone. Introduce weapons and multiple people.....I think there are better systems for dealing with that. So which one is superior?
Because it is a format you can make an informed decision on.

You can see without understanding the art who is good at it.

Now the issue with weapons and multiples are what tools are you using to judge ability in that?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn’t upset me in the least. You are stating a lie, and I’m calling you out on it. BJJ and MMA are not superior arts.

But you haven't made a case for that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So you are implying that if a school doesn’t offer certain services to the community then that MA is not good? Laughable.
I don’t think that’s it. this is a text book straw man.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
a martial art that you can earn big money travelling the world.
What % of practitioners can do that? This is influenced by age, natural ability and inclination to be a professional fighter. What about the other 99% of regular folks. Is the best art one that only the fewest can do?
Can you access and integrate world champions methodology?
If you change "champions" to "experts," then the answer for many outside the pro-competition field (TMA) is "yes." You are confusing success in sport with success in a martial art. This is the key problem when discussing such a topic.
I'm not understanding the obsession with matches and championships and such as being the deciding factor in which arts are superior/more effective.
It's not you that's not understanding.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What % of practitioners can do that? This is influenced by age, natural ability and inclination to be a professional fighter. What about the other 99% of regular folks. Is the best art one that only the fewest can do?

If you change "champions" to "experts," then the answer for many outside the pro-competition field (TMA) is "yes." You are confusing success in sport with success in a martial art. This is the key problem when discussing such a topic.

It's not you that's not undunderstanding

So you are saying you can do one of the multiple points I mentioned.

That is good. But not best.

And look. If you are not good enough to travel and compete there is the mat surfing option.

Which let's you travel and train on a budget.

If say you were a cop. There is of course the adopt a cop program. That let's you travel and train.

And veterans can get free training.

So there are opportunities to travel and train and develop. Even if you aren't at a standard to compete that are subsidised by the martial arts community.

Last edited:

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are saying you can do one of the multiple points I mentioned.

That is good. But not best.

And look. If you are not good enough to travel and compete there is the mat surfing option.

Which lets you travel and train on a budget.
“Good enough to travel and compete”. Just because one can do that doesn’t make their MA better than others.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
“Good enough to travel and compete”. Just because one can do that doesn’t make their MA better than others.
A martial art you can make a living off offers more to a persons ability to develop as a martial artist than a martial art you can't.

I mean it is a standard way to judge if something is better is to check If one product can do more things

Last edited:

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A martial art you can make a living off offers more to a persons ability to develop as a martial artist than a martial art you can't.

I mean it is a standard way to judge better to check If one product can do more things
Not even in the realm of reality. One’s ability to make money in competition in no way demonstrates that one MA is superior to another.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not even in the realm of reality. One’s ability to make money in competition in no way demonstrates that one MA is superior to another.

So where are we up to?

A martial arts that doesn't provide as good a service. Doesn't give as much back to the community and doesn't provide you with as good a career or opportunity.

Is as good as one that does.

Is that pretty much your argument?

I mean I can literally jump on a job search site with a bjj qualification. And apply for jobs.

I would have said that is a pretty big bonus to having a martial arts qualification.

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So where are we up to?

A martial arts that doesn't provide as good a service. Doesn't give as much back to the community and doesn't provide you with as good a career or opportunity.

I mean I can literally jump on a job search site with a bjj qualification. And apply for jobs.

I would have said that is a pretty big bonus to having a martial arts qualification.
You are claiming that BJJ is superior to all other MA because a certain organization affiliated with that particular style offers community service and possibly a job opportunity. These are in no way a standard for the effectiveness of a MA. Your “standards” are absolutely laughable. I will never take anything you say seriously.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are claiming that BJJ is superior to all other MA because a certain organization affiliated with that particular style offers community service and possibly a job opportunity. These are in no way a standard for the effectiveness of a MA. Your “standards” are absolutely laughable. I will never take anything you say seriously.
Right back at the start. I said I didn't even need to argue that.

I could literally just make the case on services provided and worth gained.

Screenshot_20240504_151022_Chrome.jpg

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So where are we up to?

A true martial artist (or any artist for that matter) does not follow their path for fame or fortune or to prove superiority. These are goals of sportsmen or egoists. Again:
You are confusing success in sport with success in a martial art.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A true martial artist (or any artist for that matter) does not follow their path for fame or fortune or to prove superiority. These are goals of sportsmen or egoists. Again:

So a martial art that gives less to its martial artists is a purer form of art and therefore better?

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s because your argument has no merit.
Services in no way indicate the effectiveness of a MA. Wrong again.

View attachment 31021
No, you didn’t. You avoided the question until I called you out on it.

Your answer was ridiculous.

The only test of a MA is its effectiveness.

Access and opportunity are in no way an indicator of the effectiveness of a MA.

You are simply trolling. Please peddle your lies to someone who doesn’t know better.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That’s because your argument has no merit.

Services in no way indicate the effectiveness of a MA. Wrong again.

No, you didn’t. You avoided the question until I called you out on it.

Your answer was ridiculous.

The only test of a MA is its effectiveness.

Access and opportunity are in no way an indicator of the effectiveness of a MA.

You are simply trolling. Please peddle your lies to someone who doesn’t know better.
Ok. How do you test for effectiveness?

Latest Discussions