Thinking outside the box

OP
T

tonbo

......that you are not just "following orders", but that you look at things differently, and try to see more ways than just the one to solve a problem.

You know the SGM Parker story about "lengthen your line"? *That* is thinking outside the box. Basically, it's like saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Want another good example? See Star Trek: the movie and pay close attention to the parts where they talk about the "Kobayashi Maru" scenario......Capt. Kirk was the only one to have ever beaten it. And his "alternative" was a great example of "thinking outside the box".

That's just a couple of ways to say it, of course.....

:D

Peace--

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Book 1 page 1 of the Infinite Insights series..... goes over the 3 points of view......... a valuable "Kenpo Tool" when analyzing anything it is important to view the topic from all angles inside outside sideways etc....... this will lead to greater understanding and a quality answer not just a "scratch the surface" guess.

:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

......See Star Trek: the movie and pay close attention to the parts where they talk about the "Kobayashi Maru" scenario......Capt. Kirk was the only one to have ever beaten it.

:D

Peace--

I'm not trying to upset you guys but.......

You do know that Star Trek isn't real, don't you?:)

Les

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
its not?!

And Kirk didn't "beat" the Kobayashi Maru. According to Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan, he "beat" the scenario by reprogramming the simulaters. He didn't "beat" it. He cheated. However, since it WAS a solution that had never been tried before, StarFleet was amused and didn't expel him.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

its not?!

And Kirk didn't "beat" the Kobayashi Maru. According to Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan, he "beat" the scenario by reprogramming the simulaters. He didn't "beat" it. He cheated. However, since it WAS a solution that had never been tried before, StarFleet was amused and didn't expel him.

Frankly, that is an incredibly wonderful example of thinking outside the box. Something totally unexpected ... It isn't always a matter of ethics, or right versus wrong ... Thinking outside the box is more a matter of making it work. That would be what the good Captain did... Even thinking in terms of right versus wrong can put you into a box. Just some thoughts to get myself in trouble with. :rofl:

Dan

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kobayashi Maru was set up to teach something. It was to teach students that sometimes you do find yourself in a no-win situation, and that it is a real possibility, and sometimes you just have to deal. It was vintage Kirk arrogance that he could not accept this and had to win at all costs. Sometimes, winning at all costs isn't winning, because in this case Kirk deprived himself of the opportunity to learn a valuable lesson... however, Kirk wasn't always the sharpest tool in the shed. Why in heaven's name would you beam your ENTIRE command crew down to a planet in a hostile situation? You've got Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Chekov, Sulu, and a few miscellaneous redshirts down on an enemy planet and the CHIEF ENGINEER running the ship.

Kirk didn't beat anything when he cheated during the Kobayashi Maru exercise. He was incapable of dealing with life the way it was, so he reprogrammed the parameters. The same philosophy could be applied to students cheating in school. Kirk proved his ability to cheat, he did NOT prove his ability to command. I know some students who if they put half the energy into studying that they put into figuring out ways to cheat, they'd be straight A students

I guess my point is that there are times to think outside the box. However, there are also times where you have to realize that the box is there for a reason.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think society buys that Nightingale, not without some limitations, at any rate... A box for the box? :lol:

Dan

OP
K

Kirk

A man lives on the 20th floor of an apartment building. If it is a rainy day, he gets into the elevator in the morning, goes down to the ground floor and goes off to work. In the afternoon when he comes home, he gets into the elevator and goes straight to the 20th floor. However, if it is a sunny day he goes down to the ground floor in the morning, but when he comes home he only goes up to the 10th floor and then walks up 10 flights of stairs. Why does he do this?

To answer correctly, you have to Think Outside The Box

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

A man lives on the 20th floor of an apartment building. If it is a rainy day, he gets into the elevator in the morning, goes down to the ground floor and goes off to work. In the afternoon when he comes home, he gets into the elevator and goes straight to the 20th floor. However, if it is a sunny day he goes down to the ground floor in the morning, but when he comes home he only goes up to the 10th floor and then walks up 10 flights of stairs. Why does he do this?

To answer correctly, you have to Think Outside The Box

This is simple...

he's a migit, when it rains he uses an umbrella; for the rain, and to press the button ....

/Yari

ps. I have one for you if you want.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I guess my point is that there are times to think outside the box. However, there are also times where you have to realize that the box is there for a reason.

I agree. The box isn't always a threat. Take a relatoinship. It's a kind of box, but I live joyfully in a great relationship.

/Yari

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Yari

This is simple...

he's a migit, when it rains he uses an umbrella; for the rain, and to press the button ....

/Yari

ps. I have one for you if you want.

You are correct, sir! Go right ahead, lemme have it!

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

You are correct, sir! Go right ahead, lemme have it!

A snowy night a car comes home late, and parks in front of the house , beside another car. In the morning the person get's into the car , puts it in reverse and pulls out and drives off to work. The owner of the other car comes out and can't start the car. Why?

This is tricky. I use this to help people learn how to ask the correct questions. They get 10 questions to find the answer.
Most people when asking shoot off question with no concern as to were they are heading (reminds me of some of the MA's I've meet).

Give it a try.

/Yari

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my guess would be that the information regarding the first car is totally irrelevant, and the second car would have not started anyway because of an entirely separate issue...

but that's only cause my brain is fried and I can't think of anything better....got home at 3:00 am last night cause my cat went into anaphalactic (sp) shock from a vaccine and I had to spend most of the night at the vet's office (he's fine, btw, but my wallet is $800 lighter) LOL.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

my guess would be that the information regarding the first car is totally irrelevant, and the second car would have not started anyway because of an entirely separate issue...

but that's only cause my brain is fried and I can't think of anything better....got home at 3:00 am last night cause my cat went into anaphalactic (sp) shock from a vaccine and I had to spend most of the night at the vet's office (he's fine, btw, but my wallet is $800 lighter) LOL.

I understand what you are saying. I would do the same thing for our critters.

Dan

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

NOPE....

I glad that your cat is better. What about you, you OK after the scare?

/Yari

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Yari

A snowy night a car comes home late, and parks in front of the house , beside another car. In the morning the person get's into the car , puts it in reverse and pulls out and drives off to work. The owner of the other car comes out and can't start the car. Why?

This is tricky. I use this to help people learn how to ask the correct questions. They get 10 questions to find the answer.
Most people when asking shoot off question with no concern as to were they are heading (reminds me of some of the MA's I've meet).

Give it a try.

/Yari
Becasue the first guy came out, realized he had left his lights on and stole the beattery from the car next to him.:ninja:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

Becasue the first guy came out, realized he had left his lights on and stole the beattery from the car next to him.:ninja:

This probably says more about you :D

So i wouldn't be parking my car next to yours :rofl:

No offence....

/Yari

Latest Discussions