They are back!!!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't watched the vid, yet, but if you see bad martial arts training, it should concern you that these people are passing this on to their children, and their children's children.
I'm more concerned at how it makes real martial arts look and how it misinforms the public. Then I have to put up with the "Joe Rogans" in the world because of it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look at the website for the WMAA group and some of the things that they have achieved in service of the local community. Not everything is about physical / martial skill.
No excuse for bad techniques and training. I train in kung fu and bad technique and form increases the risk of damaging the knees and other joints. This is why some people say that kung fu is bad for the joints and causes pain to the knees and elbows. When you are talking about breaking boards, 90% technique and 10% conditioning, if you get lazy with either one of those you'll increase the risk that you'll hurt yourself, like the guy at the end of the video did. Sparring with someone who has bad techniques means that the person aims for your stomach but kicks you in the groin, or in the knee. I don't know how karate is, but for kung fu, proper technique and training is as much about safety as it is about kung fu.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No excuse for bad techniques and training. I train in kung fu and bad technique and form increases the risk of damaging the knees and other joints. This is why some people say that kung fu is bad for the joints and causes pain to the knees and elbows. When you are talking about breaking boards, 90% technique and 10% conditioning, if you get lazy with either one of those you'll increase the risk that you'll hurt yourself, like the guy at the end of the video did. Sparring with someone who has bad techniques means that the person aims for your stomach but kicks you in the groin, or in the knee. I don't know how karate is, but for kung fu, proper technique and training is as much about safety as it is about kung fu.

Good points and even more reasons not to use them as objects of amusement.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I don't see anything potentially damaging in what the WMAA group is doing, it just looks very 'thrashy' and not very controlled.

There are also some things in the video that look silly, but only because they lack context. One of the exercises is a pair of kids running a form, where they have clearly been told that they have to replace every 90 degree turn with a 360 as a focus challenge. Then someone has filmed the resulting confusion, and stuck it in a McDojo video essentially saying ' look at these morons'.

These shaming videos are mean spirited, not really fair, and unseemly behaviour for martial artists.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Tez says, there's no point in making fun of the students involved. They're obviously doing what they've been taught. I do feel kind of bad for them that they have been so thoroughly misled by their instructors. I'm also kind of morbidly curious as to how those instructors started down the path that led them to teaching this stuff.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't see anything potentially damaging in what the WMAA group is doing, it just looks very 'thrashy' and not very controlled.
There are a lot of things wrong just on the basic level of stances alone. Kicks and blocking are also done incorrectly. On top of that everyone that is performing has a black belt on, when it's clear that they don't have "black belt" skills. The damage comes on a physical level to them by doing techniques incorrectly and the damage comes to the martial arts community because that's who they are representing. When people say that your style of martial arts sucks, it's because they watch videos of people doing bad techniques while wearing a black belt.
This makes me want to do karate

The video with the bad martial arts just makes me want to get a black belt the easy way, because if these guys can get one then I surely can get one with ease.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
These shaming videos are mean spirited, not really fair, and unseemly behaviour for martial artists.
I'm not sure. The well known old school martial arts teachers in almost every fighting system weren't known for being kind or beneath shaming. The only difference is that they shamed the instructor for teaching trash. I think there's a romanticized image of martial arts of today that isn't realistic to how martial arts were actually handled back then during the times of the famous martial art teachers. If I had to guess, I would say shamming was very much part of martial art behavior and it wasn't until modern times that it became something of noble character.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As Tez says, there's no point in making fun of the students involved. They're obviously doing what they've been taught. I do feel kind of bad for them that they have been so thoroughly misled by their instructors. I'm also kind of morbidly curious as to how those instructors started down the path that led them to teaching this stuff.
Part is because of money, the other part is because of the student. Not every student is being misled. Some students know they are being misled and they don't care, because they just want a black belt.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Im not sure how what a bunch of guys you don't know doing something you don't train in is an insult.

So you dont have fun training? Then what's the point? For a vast majority of people martial arts are just a hobby. If they enjoy their hobby how does that have any effect on you?
ballen, you are a good guy and your point is well made. I don't know what it says about myself but I couldn't help laughing when I saw it, to me it all seemed like clear, plain unadulterated madness gone wild under a full moon.

That said, I am not dissing what they are doing (just laughing at the way they are doing it) and if they are putting stuff back into the community, well that is great - not enough of that these days! I try but could do a lot more in that area myself, I tell myself.

To be frank, I don't care that whatever they are doing, if it is meant to be some kind of martial art or some form of karate, resembles nothing I can really relate to. That don't bother me a hill o beans. But, sometimes it is hard not to laugh at others, at least for me. And sometimes, others are a bit overly sensitive when they are laughed at - why should they care? Get on with life and live it.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm more concerned at how it makes real martial arts look and how it misinforms the public. Then I have to put up with the "Joe Rogans" in the world because of it.
No, you don't have to put up with all those Joe Rogans. Ignore them and get on with what you are doing.

Why do you care what external parties think about karate or your particular martial art. I would prefer to be deadly-on-the-down-low rather than back to the days where everyone was like, "woa, he does karate, he can like kill ya with one finger"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, you don't have to put up with all those Joe Rogans. Ignore them and get on with what you are doing.

Why do you care what external parties think about karate or your particular martial art. I would prefer to be deadly-on-the-down-low rather than back to the days where everyone was like, "woa, he does karate, he can like kill ya with one finger"
I used to think this way, but the problem is. If I only let one story be told then only one story will be known. If you don't tell about what you know, what you understand, and what you do then then only lies will exist. Ignoring things is good but not always. If you see a danger in something then why not point it out. If you hear one race of people talk incorrectly about another race of people then why not point it out.

These days no one cares if you do a traditional martial art because they aren't scared of it. You would be safer not saying you practice a martial, that why you don't have some guy testing you because he thinks your martial arts is trash. Saying that you do karate or some other style of martial arts will just give someone a reason to beat you up to prove to everyone the Joe Rogan is right and that your martial arts is trash.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no good reason for anyone to be scared of me or what I do. And I don't hang out in places, or around people, who are likely to try and beat me up just because of an activity that I do in my spare time. If that is happening to you, you need new friends and a new place to hang out.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It really really doesn't.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It does matter what people think of you. That's self-defense 101. If you look like a victim or an easy target then predators will treat you as such. This has nothing to do with who you hang out with or who your friends are. If you go out in public then you are hanging around places where stuff like that happens. You don't get to choose who is around you when you are in public. People normally don't approach me to start trouble because I naturally look mean and naturally look like more than what most people want to deal with. But I've worked in inner city youth development centers where some of the neighborhood drug dealers didn't like me being there, because I was helping youth stay off the streets and gain computer skills. Not only did they not like me, but they were actually trying to recruit people to jump me after work. They would literally come in the building and point me out to the people that they were trying to convenience to beat me up. Nothing became of it because, like I said I naturally look mean and naturally look like more than what most people want to deal with.

Police have to deal with similar issues everyday and none of that has to do with who their friends are. And it matters to them what people think of them because it can mean the difference between being attacked and being respected.

This is the same attitude that women have in reference to how they dress. The truth of the matter is that IT SHOULDN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS, but in reality, it does matter.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does matter what people think of you. That's self-defense 101. If you look like a victim or an easy target then predators will treat you as such. This has nothing to do with who you hang out with or who your friends are. If you go out in public then you are hanging around places where stuff like that happens. You don't get to choose who is around you when you are in public. People normally don't approach me to start trouble because I naturally look mean and naturally look like more than what most people want to deal with. But I've worked in inner city youth development centers where some of the neighborhood drug dealers didn't like me being there, because I was helping youth stay off the streets and gain computer skills. Not only did they not like me, but they were actually trying to recruit people to jump me after work. They would literally come in the building and point me out to the people that they were trying to convenience to beat me up. Nothing became of it because, like I said I naturally look mean and naturally look like more than what most people want to deal with.

Police have to deal with similar issues everyday and none of that has to do with who their friends are. And it matters to them what people think of them because it can mean the difference between being attacked and being respected.

This is the same attitude that women have in reference to how they dress. The truth of the matter is that IT SHOULDN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS, but in reality, it does matter.
What does this have to do with people needing to be afraid of TMA, or people picking a fight with you just because that is what you do?

And how women may dress is an entirely different discussion.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People are welcome to underestimate me anytime.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Better than people overestimating you. Instead of fighting you with fist because they think they can beat you that way is better than them thinking that they need to bring 5 people and guns in order to deal with you. I remember as a teen I overestimated a guy that wanted me to beat me up because someone told him I stole or broke his skateboard (when I was 13). I slowly let fear get to me about what was going to happen to me because this guys was 3 years older than me, taller an stronger. My game plan was to take a knife with me and if he tried anything I would stab him. I had the knife in my hand and was ready to walk out the door. At the last minute I changed my mind, put the knife back and went to face my fears without a weapon. As a 13 year old that was a defining moment for me. When I confronted the guy, nothing of what I was fearing came true, he actually listen to me explain how what was being said about me wasn't true. Had I continued to let my fear get the best of me, this guy would have been at risk of being stabbed just because I was afraid. The point is some people don't back down when they overestimate someone. There are people who will weapon up if they think the danger is greater than what they can handle.

If I had to choose, then I rather be underestimated than for someone to think they need a shotgun to deal with me. lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What does this have to do with people needing to be afraid of TMA, or people picking a fight with you just because that is what you do?

And how women may dress is an entirely different discussion.

I didn't say people need to be afraid of TMA. But there are people who don't respect TMA and will go out of the way to fight you just to prove their assumptions about TMA effectiveness. I've seen this first hand more than once, which is why I brought it up. The thing about how women dress was just to stress the incorrect assumption "that it doesn't matter what people think about you." And to think about your martial arts with the same mentality "that it doesn't matter what people think about your martial arts." is just as incorrect. I guarantee that there are a lot of instructors who care about how others see their martial arts. I bet they also care about how others see their students.

To say that it doesn't matter what people think about you or what you do is not reality. Even if you don't care, someone else will.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say people need to be afraid of TMA. But there are people who don't respect TMA and will go out of the way to fight you just to prove their assumptions about TMA effectiveness. I've seen this first hand more than once, which is why I brought it up. The thing about how women dress was just to stress the incorrect assumption "that it doesn't matter what people think about you." And to think about your martial arts with the same mentality "that it doesn't matter what people think about your martial arts." is just as incorrect. I guarantee that there are a lot of instructors who care about how others see their martial arts. I bet they also care about how others see their students.

To say that it doesn't matter what people think about you or what you do is not reality. Even if you don't care, someone else will.
Post number 32, your first sentence of paragraph two. Go re-read what you wrote.

As for the comment on how women dress, again that is a different discusision and has no place in this context.

As for what people think of TMA or however we might want to phrase it, I stand by my comments. It doesn't matter.

And if someone else chooses to care, let them. I still don't.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Better than people overestimating you. Instead of fighting you with fist because they think they can beat you that way is better than them thinking that they need to bring 5 people and guns in order to deal with you. I remember as a teen I overestimated a guy that wanted me to beat me up because someone told him I stole or broke his skateboard (when I was 13). I slowly let fear get to me about what was going to happen to me because this guys was 3 years older than me, taller an stronger. My game plan was to take a knife with me and if he tried anything I would stab him. I had the knife in my hand and was ready to walk out the door. At the last minute I changed my mind, put the knife back and went to face my fears without a weapon. As a 13 year old that was a defining moment for me. When I confronted the guy, nothing of what I was fearing came true, he actually listen to me explain how what was being said about me wasn't true. Had I continued to let my fear get the best of me, this guy would have been at risk of being stabbed just because I was afraid. The point is some people don't back down when they overestimate someone. There are people who will weapon up if they think the danger is greater than what they can handle.

If I had to choose, then I rather be underestimated than for someone to think they need a shotgun to deal with me. lol

So let people think what they want about whatever style, and they will underestimate if it comes to that.

Don't go around broadcasting that you practice MA, and this is not an issue - at times when MA becomes needed, it is better a surprise.

It only matters what people think if you want them to think you are awesome.

Latest Discussions