They are back!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't bother judging them for what they are doing, why would I? I don't care what they are doing. None of my business, they aren't even on the same continent as me. Would I laugh at a poor football team, no, as I said I don't laugh at people who aren't intentionally funny. Feel free to, it's still, to me, discourteous.
Quite often people make fun of people like this because it makes them feel their own training is superior, it shouldn't because who knows what other think of their training? We've seen plenty of arguments on here about how one style is superior to others, how this style isn't any good in the cage, how that one doesn't teach properly, all generalisations and conjecture along with a large dollop of arrogance.
So on the whole I'd say, don't worry what others are doing, don't judge them just move along, there's nothing to see.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh Tez, absurdity is a form of comedy and if 'Martial Arts' is the context then hopping about in a bad crane pose whilst sparring is definitely an example of the abusrd - there's no way you're defending yourself like that if someone is trying to hit you (2nd video)......aaaaand there's a whole load of caveats with that, but I'm specifically referring to what the guys are doing in that Chat Ying video. We're going to have to agree to disagree, I don't see anything immoral about it.

I do get where you're coming from though; this type of thing can be used by people as a platform to prove to themselves that what they're doing is going to eventually launch them into the realms of martial arts badassery - but that's a silly approach to take. I'd rather spend time on finding examples of people I want to emulate rather than those who I want to laugh at - if the opportunity presents itself then yea, I might have a little chuckle, but we move swiftly on.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd rather spend time on finding examples of people I want to emulate rather than those who I want to laugh at

This.

The time we have on Earth to train is limited. Time is just better spent looking for good role models and training with them than it is grubbing out video examples that don't mesh with our world view.

Publicly and openly making judgmental statements about people...not a great idea generally from self defence perspective.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're going to have to agree to disagree, I don't see anything immoral about it.

Immoral? I don't see where you are going with that. I said nothing about morality just courtesy. I just don't like seeing people take the P out of others when those others aren't doing anything other than their 'thing'.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
They say that they're training in their own hybrid system Chat Ying Kuen - which, after a bit of digging around, appears to just be a mish mash of badly understood principles from other kung fu systems. It doesn't deserve much respect in my opinion
Having respect for other styles/schools, even if you don't personally think they are any good, says more about you than it does them.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Immoral? I don't see where you are going with that. I said nothing about morality just courtesy. I just don't like seeing people take the P out of others when those others aren't doing anything other than their 'thing'.
I don't think that having a little laugh about something on an online messageboard is being particularly impolite, you do, therefore this becomes a discussion loosely based on what we personally believe to be right and wrong - there is no single 'right' answer, the standpoint we agree with is the one that best fits in with our morals.
Having respect for other styles/schools, even if you don't personally think they are any good, says more about you than it does them.
Hey man, I respect these guys much more than a lot of people sitting around on the couch every evening. They probably do a lot for the local community and it's good to see that they enjoy what their doing. Once upon a time I'd have had a bit of a rant about the 'sifu' teaching bits of other arts within his own framework, really badly, but if he wants to do that and people are happy to pay for such nonsense, then so be it. Just because I have respect for other people getting involved in any form of martial arts doesn't mean I have to afford respect to the style they are doing if it looks like it wouldn't do any good when applied within the context of it's primary purpose.

In summary:

It's okay to judge those who are passionate enough about martial arts to spend some of their precious free time discussing it on a forum

Judging people who are making money out of selling such a nonsensical product isn't.

I feel as though i'm struggling to see over all these high horses on this thread.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get some backlash for what I'm about to say. I'm putting it out there for everybody/anybody to read, so I deserve it...

Barring people with disabilities/special needs/things they have no realistic control over, I see no harm in having a laugh. There's a difference between having a laugh and tearing someone apart. I never said anything along the lines of "I'd drop any 10 of them in the cage at the same time," "they're all useless p-words," etc. Like most others here, I had a laugh and said "How they can call this good karate (if that's what they are calling their 'style' today) is beyond me."

Their technique overall is awful IMO. Balance, timing, speed, and where they hold their hands are all wrong. Anyone outside of their organization would have a very hard time disagreeing with any of that, realistically speaking.

They seem to train hard, enjoy what they're doing, are getting some exercise, and don't care what people say about it, so more power to them. Them doing what they do has zero effect on my life, just like if there was a group who was as physically gifted/talented as Bruce Lee has zero effect on my life.

If they put it out there for everyone to see, then they have to accept the criticism, short of personal attacks that cross the line. Having a light hearted laugh and questioning the methods is not a personal attack that crosses the line IMO.

They obviously don't care what I nor anyone else think, because they keep posting videos.

I have the right to laugh at anything I find comical, just like you have the right to defend what you find unjust. It would be a very boring world without these rights. Keep on defending, and I'll keep laughing.

And yes, I sincerely do feel the art I study is superior to their's, hence why I haven't jumped ship and joined their's. My practiced art being better than their's doesn't make me a better person nor does it fill me with the pride of feeling like I'm better than every single one of them and they must do what I do. I find humor in what they do. I'm pretty sure people would find unintentional humor in a lot of things I do, karate included. Nothing wrong with having a laugh every now and then. Nothing wrong with having a laugh at me nor with me. It's called a sense of humor. If I don't want people to criticize me, I won't put myself out there for anyone and everyone to do so.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
therefore this becomes a discussion loosely based on what we personally believe to be right and wrong - there is no single 'right' answer, the standpoint we agree with is the one that best fits in with our morals.

I can't see why you are making something out of nothing, I'm not talking morals merely good manners.

I also can't see why people are making such a fuss over one group's training, high horses indeed with all the criticisms, long posts justifying themselves, pulling apart what this group are doing really, people why does it matter, really, what a group does in their training? Why are people so out of countenance just because someone appears to be doing what others think they shouldn't? So many words over so very little.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't see why you are making something out of nothing, I'm not talking morals merely good manners.

I'm not making a big deal out of anything, merely pointing out that we disagree on whether or not these groups deserve our 'good manners', as you've put it. We're not getting anywhere and should leave it at that.

I also can't see why people are making such a fuss over one group's training, high horses indeed with all the criticisms, long posts justifying themselves, pulling apart what this group are doing really, people why does it matter, really, what a group does in their training? Why are people so out of countenance just because someone appears to be doing what others think they shouldn't? So many words over so very little.

I don't think anyone is really making much of a fuss about it.

These guys are charging money to learn "martial arts" that probably aren't going to work in a fighting context. It's contraversial and people are going to have an opinion on the subject.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not making a big deal out of anything, merely pointing out that we disagree on whether or not these groups deserve our 'good manners', as you've put it. We're not getting anywhere and should leave it at that.

I don't think anyone is really making much of a fuss about it.

These guys are charging money to learn "martial arts" that probably aren't going to work in a fighting context. It's contraversial and people are going to have an opinion on the subject.

The video was posted in the first place not for people to critique but to laugh at.

Sometimes it's better to be kind than right..................

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The video was posted in the first place not for people to critique but to laugh at.

Sometimes it's better to be kind than right..................
Fair enough. Although I've disagreed with you on this thread, I respect you for holding that view.

Sometimes people say you need to be cruel to be kind in the martial arts world and although at times that may be true, it's often harder to just be kind.

BryceSPQR

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Most of them didn't surprise me, but the video of the ladies doing a weird twirling kata at the Karate dojo made me sad. I hope it is some weird training exercise they are doing. As for the weird kicking sparring, they are definitely getting their cardio?

www.northernshotokan.com

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of them didn't surprise me, but the video of the ladies doing a weird twirling kata at the Karate dojo made me sad. I hope it is some weird training exercise they are doing. As for the weird kicking sparring, they are definitely getting their cardio?

www.northernshotokan.com

The "weird twirling kata" the ladies were doing is a Kyokushin thing (notice the Kyokushin logos in the glass in the background). Kyokushin (among others) requires kata to be done in ura at higher ranks. When doing a kata in ura, you make a 360 degree spin before each forward step. I'm not a fan of it, but we do it in Seido too, as Seido came from Kyokushin.

Kyokushin is definitely not McDojo. I'm not saying there isn't a single Kyokushin McDojo out there, but they've got to be a fake Kyokushin dojo if they're a McDojo. They're full contact bare knuckle.

Kyokushin students' kata usually don't look as pretty as others performing the same kata because Kyokushin generally strongly emphasizes kumite over kata.

Look up some Kyokushin competitions on YouTube if you're unfamiliar with it. Pretty tough group IMO.

Latest Discussions