They are back!!!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doing martial arts can hurt you just as easy as falling in a hole especially when the techniques are done incorrectly or when the Instructor doesn't care about the well being of the students. Incorrect kicking techniques can cause serious damage to the knees. Incorrect punching technique can break your wrist, hand, or fingers. Incorrect technique when using a broadsword can damage your elbow. Wrong fist formation can break or hyper-extend the thumb. Incorrect stance can cause serious knee damage.

If you are using a weapon like staff, spear, sword or chain dart then technique becomes everything. Not only can you hurt yourself, but using the weapon wrong can hurt you or someone else that's around you. If you practice with a real sword or spear, then not paying attention to who is around you, or letting kids run around while people are practicing can result in serious injury or death. I say real sword or spear because, my kung fu brothers use real weapons made with "combat steel," one uses a real broad sword (live blade semi sharpened) and the other uses a real spear (real spear head)

I don't feel the need to make fun of them, I just point out bad martial arts when I see it, especially if they are all wearing black belts. Had the people in the video been wearing yellow belts, white belts, or no belts then everyone would have just thought they were learning. There are videos of horrible Jow Ga practitioners doing horrible techniques and no one makes fun of them, or say that they are horrible, because the people in that video aren't claiming to be someone of "black belt" skill level. People look at the videos and can tell they are students.
For example:
He gets more than a few techniques wrong. This guy has bad techniques as well
None of these guys claim to be an expert and they don't put themselves in the light of being an expert.

As for me personally. I don't "police" Jow Ga kung fu. There are Jow Ga associations that do that. I personally don't worry about karate looking bad beyond, bad instructors and unqualified instructors causing harm by misleading people and taking advantage of them. I speak my mind about stuff like that always. If people get upset when I speak my mind about things like that then, all I can say it's not my fault that they do bad Martial arts. Don't get upset at what I say because of what I see. Get upset at the instructors, had they not mislead students then nothing would have been said at all.
Who are you to say they are being mislead. If they are having fun and fell they are getting value for THEIR time and money then they are not being mislead. But If it makes you feel more importent to police the martial arts world then have fun. I'm pretty sure your opinion carries little weight with them.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
didn't say people need to be afraid of TMA. But there are people who don't respect TMA and will go out of the way to fight you just to prove their assumptions about TMA effectiveness.
I have had a few people here and there who have found out I do martial arts and have wanted to test me. They have said things like; "If I do this you wont be able to do anything" or they have said to my friends that they could take me but if there is one thing that I have learned about this is that generally it's all talk and nothing else.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much better to have a big lumpy knot so that when you are grappling and are 'north to south' you can rub the knot in your partner's face......:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear hard plastic chest protectors for grappling, as good as another pair of elbows :D

Sub Zero

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
[Can't E="Dirty Dog, post: 1724713, member: 20725"]Is that a knot in your pocket or are you happy to see me?[/QUOTE]

Can't it be both?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
2 things really get me going about these guys...

They call themselves WMAA Karate. They're Tae Kwon Do.

More importantly...

These guys (and girls) obviously have Internet access and have seen YouTube, seeing as how they're posting stuff there. How do they justify doing what they do? It's not like back in the day before the Internet or even video where they could have honestly thought that's how everyone trained. Do they not see themselves running through kata like chickens with their heads cut off, and yet no one else does this? Do they not see themselves as black belts throwing kicks that I've seen white belts do far better with, especially with their hands constantly down?

Everyone's got their own path they think they should follow.

I guess I should record myself doing stuff to see if maybe I look absurd too.

Just when it was cool again to practice karate, these guys had to come and post another video. It's ok though. Their skills (or lack thereof) don't effect mine in any way. To each his own.

BTW...
The ones spinning during their kata are Kyokushin students. They're doing ura kata - adding a spin before each step forward. I'm not a fan of ura kata (I do them in Seido), but anyone who knows anything about martial arts knows Kyokushin "McDojos" are extremely few and far between. Full contact tends to weed out the WMAA types; not that's a good or bad thing.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
2 things really get me going about these guys...

They call themselves WMAA Karate.
Where?
They're Tae Kwon Do.

More importantly...

These guys (and girls) obviously have Internet access and have seen YouTube, seeing as how they're posting stuff there. How do they justify doing what they do? It's not like back in the day before the Internet or even video where they could have honestly thought that's how everyone trained. Do they not see themselves running through kata like chickens with their heads cut off, and yet no one else does this? Do they not see themselves as black belts throwing kicks that I've seen white belts do far better with, especially with their hands constantly down?

Everyone's got their own path they think they should follow.

You answer your own questions.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They call themselves karate here and a bunch of other places. I'm pretty sure I've seen karate written on some of their videos and clothing.

Home

My questions weren't truly questions, I guess. How someone justifies what they do as good karate, I mean TKD, is beyond me. To each his/her own.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To each his/her own.

Well, exactly. Looking at their website they say they don't do contact and they explain their philosophy ( which I rather like actually) so you know what you are getting. They don't take away from anything anyone else is doing and it would be discourteous to laugh at them.

Douglasmase

White Belt
Reaction score
People laugh and this is pretty sad but this is what many martial arts are becoming. I took some of students to a master's test and they saw a gentleman stand up and state that the form was to complicated to learn so he would do something else, and the council passed him.

We live in A McDonald's society, we want it and we want it now. .003% percent make it to BlackBelt so let's push them through so we can keep our ranks up, but what will this do to future generations.

I just ask that all instructors out do not sacrifice quality for quantity.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We live in A McDonald's society, we want it and we want it now.

'We'? speak for yourself! the society I live isn't a McDonald's one at all.

I'm sorry but think laughing at anyone who isn't deliberately being funny discourteous.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If they want to call themselves a martial arts club, have no-contact training and put together videos like that for public display then I think having a wee laugh at them is fair game - I mean, it's not as if I'm going out my way to find their club and walk in the door to ridicule them in person. If an amature football club put together a team that just (really badly) simulated the sport of football, everyone involved in training the real thing would probably have a little chuckle - so long as it doesn't get nasty, I don't see a problem with it.

The difference between a martial arts club training like that and a football club, is that the worst thing that could happen to the 'football players' - if they assumed they were learning practical skills - is that they'd get beaten pretty badly in a match, the 'martial artists' could (extreme example) end up being killed.

This club is a similar case; pretty harmless and funny to watch, so long as nobody is thinking that they're developing practical self defence skills:

Fair play to them, looks like they're having a lot of fun but if you're going to advertise your club as a Martial Arts club, then I'm going to judge you within that framework. They say that they're training in their own hybrid system Chat Ying Kuen - which, after a bit of digging around, appears to just be a mish mash of badly understood principles from other kung fu systems. It doesn't deserve much respect in my opinion