The Study - It is a silly place, can I (or you) make it go away

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MT is my bribe to do all the housework etc. Do the ironing, spend a bit of time on MT, then do the cleaning, spend a bit of time on MT etc etc! I hate and detest housework, I should have been born rich and had servants though I would have cleaned things up first as I wouldn't have wanted them to think I was messy and untidy! I work shifts and the last thing you want to do after 12 hours at work is to do the housework however when you are a Scorpio female of a certain age like me arguing is just the thing you need lol!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Of late MT is my filler whilst things computer run and to fill up the times I would be going for a walk if I were not on these stupid crutches.

After the crutches go away who knows... maybe... once again.... I will to for awhile....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could come up with a fighting crutches kata?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised he hasn't already. I know I sure would.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree it's a silly place. Unfortunately, just about every discussion forum on the internet has its own version of The Study. I only know of one site that doesn't and that's the Fender Discussion Page. That site has a strict policy against hot button issues and the site owner and mods are all very serious when it comes to enforcement. Post a thread on politics or religion and it will almost immediately be deleted. Hijack a thread in that direction and the thread will be almost immediately locked. If you break the rules more than once or twice your privileges will be suspended. Do it again after you get reinstated and it's cya later time. Sounds harsh I know but that is one of the most civil discussion forums in all of cyberspace.

Exactly the way I used to run the forum I was Senior Admin at :tup:. AWB I used to call it: Advised; Warned; Banned.

As you noted with the Fender site, it was a very civil place indeed; for, as we have noted several times here, peoples manners improve greatly when there are consequences.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone should have a bit of silliness, the Study is fine because we all have different views about life, the universe and everything, I find it a bit harder to forgive when people however are scornful/rude on the MA sections. We may have different arts but we should have more in common than not when discussing MA yet some of the arguments can be ferocious.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder, and Bob can probably tell us, what section of the site draws the most traffic?

While some probably think that if the Study closed down then magically everybody would start posting and coming back to the site to discuss the proper way to do a wristlock; I think you run the risk of killing a lot of traffic and a section of the forum that may draw in members that came for the Study but stayed and posted useful stuff in the other forums.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wonder, and Bob can probably tell us, what section of the site draws the most traffic?

While some probably think that if the Study closed down then magically everybody would start posting and coming back to the site to discuss the proper way to do a wristlock; I think you run the risk of killing a lot of traffic and a section of the forum that may draw in members that came for the Study but stayed and posted useful stuff in the other forums.

Frankly it probably gets the most traffic and I couldn't careless if it goes on forever, I just don't want to have the option to see it anymore. Sometimes it is interesting (in the way a train wreck is interesting) and I get tempted to post and then I end up wondering why I started posting there at all so... I wanted it to go away for me... if you like it, by all means enjoy it... I wasn't, I think it is silly and I don't want to go there anymore

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, there are some videos out there for wheelchair fu. I think it's fabulous.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, there are some videos out there for wheelchair fu. I think it's fabulous.

You might like this as well, Flea.

Jujutsu-based self-defense taught by a paraplegic. He's part of a non-profit org in Arlington, MA that offers MA instruction (usually for free) with a specific outreach to at-risk members of the population :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most active forums 2009 (top 15)
The Study 13734
Tae-Kwon-Do 11956
US Political Discussion and Debate 11840
Game Room 6813
The Locker Room 5456
Wing Chun 5334
General Self Defense 5215
Kenpo / Kempo - General 3502
Meet & Greet 3183
MMA 2065
The Urusai Bar & Grill 1857
Health Tips for the Martial Artist 1739
The Firing Range (Firearms) 1623
The Rec Room (Sports and Entertainment) 1561

topics
General Martial Arts Talk 628
Tae-Kwon-Do 592
The Study 549
US Political Discussion and Debate 440
MMA 422
FMA From Around the Web 413
The Locker Room 372
Wing Chun 273
Meet & Greet 211
The Comedy Cafe 179
General Self Defense 165
The Urusai Bar & Grill 163
Kenpo / Kempo - General 148
The Rec Room (Sports and Entertainment) 142
Health Tips for the Martial Artist 126

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Since Bob has already posted the stats: I think it says something about this forum or the people posting on it that there is more posting in the off topic area then there is in the on topic area.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We try to offer a little something for everyone. We have areas for pretty much every art out there, we have some perks for supporting members, we have 'unofficial' chat threads and we have non martial arts related areas such as the study. I've noticed some people who have rank in X art, but spend 98% of heir time in the study and the other 2% in the art areas. Thats fine, IMO, as posting is posting.

The study is not for everyone, thats for sure.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If 98% of your posting is in the Off Topic areas, you might as well un-join the forum, and find a forum that isn't themed. Posting only in the off topic areas just means you have nothing to say in the actual posting areas and should find a new forum.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may also mean you're posted-out on "What's the most dangerous martial art?", "Are ninjas able to make themselves invisible?", "What type of socks do you wear to train in?", etc., but have made acquaintances here nonetheless.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then you turn to lurking and PMing people. Otherwise you might as well leave.

Latest Discussions