The Study - It is a silly place, can I (or you) make it go away

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Is it possible to block the study from my view when I log and hit new posts? And if it is possible will that have any effect on viewing any other parts of MT.

Frankly I'd rather not go to the study. It is a silly place. But if I see it sooner or later I read it and then before I know it I am posting and then I find myself thinking lwhat the hell am I doing here, its a silly place and all it is going to do is annoy me which brings me right back to I'd rather not go to the study. It is a silly place.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are not alone in thinking this way, my friend :D.

It is like some femme fatale who lures you in with promises of topical and intelligent debate and then ... :lol:. Many times I have resolved not to get involved in political/religious/economic/historical matters in the Study and many times have I fallen from my virtue :O.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read a few things in there once in a while, but I rarely post. Because yes, it is a silly place. All to often, I believe it is a stupid place. At the very least, it seems to bring out the worst in people.

I would not be saddened if it went away.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you send Bob a PM he can ban you from the sections you cann't stand until you decide you want back. The posts in that section wont show up if you do a search of the site, but will still appear (but blocked) if you go through the home page.

There's a reason my presence hasn't been seen in the study in a while.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the reasons it's here is because its existence keeps some of those same posts from being made in General Martial Arts etc. Don't think they'd just disappear from the site.

politics and religion and current events? That would work its way into a discussion on the merits of long-distance video learning in Gracie Jujitsu?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is like some femme fatale who lures you in with promises of topical and intelligent debate and then ... :lol:. Many times I have resolved not to get involved in political/religious/economic/historical matters in the Study and many times have I fallen from my virtue :O.

Thats probably why it doesn't bother me lol! it's just a place to amuse myself, nothing more. I find a couple of the MA ones more annoying tbh. If you take it seriously it will probably annoy you but really it's just a place to 'discuss' tongue in cheek.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the reasons it's here is because its existence keeps some of those same posts from being made in General Martial Arts etc. Don't think they'd just disappear from the site.

Is there something stopping Bob from deleting posts and unmembering members?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PM me and I can remove your access to the Study and it's subsections.
It won't effect other aspects of the site.
Just don't change your minds weekly. lol :)

The Study, Lockerroom, etc all serve to 'catch' the stuff that would get mixed into other areas. Our experience is that most people who want to discuss 'X', (say kenpo) don't want to read the latest political rant, so we compartmentalize things.

If we didn't, we'd have a lot more 'chatter' spread out and less 'meat' where it counts.

We try to not delete or remove people when possible.

I'm hoping that the new version of vB will allow for an easy way to "opt in" and "opt out" so people can come and go as they wish a bit smoother. In the mean time, if you want Study access removed, PM me and I'll take care of it ASAP.

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree it's a silly place. Unfortunately, just about every discussion forum on the internet has its own version of The Study. I only know of one site that doesn't and that's the Fender Discussion Page. That site has a strict policy against hot button issues and the site owner and mods are all very serious when it comes to enforcement. Post a thread on politics or religion and it will almost immediately be deleted. Hijack a thread in that direction and the thread will be almost immediately locked. If you break the rules more than once or twice your privileges will be suspended. Do it again after you get reinstated and it's cya later time. Sounds harsh I know but that is one of the most civil discussion forums in all of cyberspace.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there something stopping Bob from deleting posts and unmembering members?

Are you sure you want to be unmembered? it sounds very painful!

Iain Abernethy's site has nothing like the Study either, it's all just martial arts, no arguing either or Iain comes round and thumps you...only joking.. I think! But I'm always careful, he doesn't live that far from me!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you sure you want to be unmembered? it sounds very painful!

Iain Abernethy's site has nothing like the Study either, it's all just martial arts, no arguing either or Iain comes round and thumps you...only joking.. I think! But I'm always careful, he doesn't live that far from me!

You know very well what I mean Tez.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As another once commented on my participation in forums, 'You just can't help yourself, can you?' :uhyeah:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As another once commented on my participation in forums, 'You just can't help yourself, can you?' :uhyeah:

me too? well, no, not really lol! I have the mind of a squaddie....must give it back one day.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
PM me and I can remove your access to the Study and it's subsections.
It won't effect other aspects of the site.
Just don't change your minds weekly. lol :)

The Study, Lockerroom, etc all serve to 'catch' the stuff that would get mixed into other areas. Our experience is that most people who want to discuss 'X', (say kenpo) don't want to read the latest political rant, so we compartmentalize things.

If we didn't, we'd have a lot more 'chatter' spread out and less 'meat' where it counts.

We try to not delete or remove people when possible.

I'm hoping that the new version of vB will allow for an easy way to "opt in" and "opt out" so people can come and go as they wish a bit smoother. In the mean time, if you want Study access removed, PM me and I'll take care of it ASAP.

Although I will miss the shouting... I was rather fond of the shouting...the deed has been done.... a PM has been sent

Thank You :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I will miss the shouting... I was rather fond of the shouting...the deed has been done.... a PM has been sent

Thank You :asian:

You can always give us one of those excellent Xue Sheng RANTS :D :D

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love a good debate or philosophical discussion. I would get bored not to mention never expand my opinions if everyone agreed with me.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I love a good debate or philosophical discussion.

So do I, sadly I don't often see that in the study and it gets predictable, particularly the political bits. And it is not just the posting in the study there are other unavoidable annoyances that come with the study as well and when I decide that getting banned form MT is the way I want to go I will reactivate my study access and blurt it out for all to read… it will be my last post... but it would at least make things more clear :D

I would get bored not to mention never expand my opinions if everyone agreed with me.

As hard as this may be to believe, and lord knows I still have trouble believing it... there is a life outside of MT you know :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So do I, sadly I don't often see that in the study and it gets predictable, particularly the political bits. And it is not just the posting in the study there are other unavoidable annoyances that come with the study as well and when I decide that getting banned form MT is the way I want to go I will reactivate my study access and blurt it out for all to read… it will be my last post... but it would at least make things more clear :D

As hard as this may be to believe, and lord knows I still have trouble believing it... there is a life outside of MT you know :D
No there isn't. I'm hardwired in ya know. :D

Latest Discussions