The Study - It is a silly place, can I (or you) make it go away

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you turn to lurking and PMing people. Otherwise you might as well leave.
I'm glad you're so cavalier about who can stay around here...

Personally, I think every member has something to contribute, whether solely in The Study or in the various martial arts area. After all, one of the common aspects of the martial arts is balancing the different facets of your life...

But, hey, you might impress me a bit more if you maybe ponied up the few bucks to be a Supporting Member...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If 98% of your posting is in the Off Topic areas, you might as well un-join the forum, and find a forum that isn't themed. Posting only in the off topic areas just means you have nothing to say in the actual posting areas and should find a new forum.

I wouldn't necessarily say the study is off topic. Topics are discussed there. I would call things like the game threads, ie: the last person thread, the unofficial chat or off topic areas.

This forum is mainly, IMO, a martial arts discussion forum, hence the name MartialTalk. We do though, offer an area like the study, so that non MA topics can be discussed.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the Study. It is... an interesting diversion from the standard talk. I like to discourse and debate on a wide variety of topics and the study offers that.

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If 98% of your posting is in the Off Topic areas, you might as well un-join the forum, and find a forum that isn't themed. Posting only in the off topic areas just means you have nothing to say in the actual posting areas and should find a new forum.

But I like you guys! I'd rather post off-topic with MA folks than on-topic with other things I happen to be interested in.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love a good debate or philosophical discussion. I would get bored not to mention never expand my opinions if everyone agreed with me.

This. :)

I love the study! I also find its a great way to get to know people, outisde of the MA. In addition to what ma they study, and so on, I also learn more about them, what their beliefs are on world events for example. or what movies they like.

I'm also philosophical and a politics junkie. :) So I love debates.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I no longer see the study and I am still rather happy about it.

Although if others like it and it works for Bob and the gang at MT that is great.

As for me I am glad Bob made it go away for me

Thanks again Bob

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nope I was right the first time

“On second thought, let's not go to study. It is a silly place “

And although it likely gets the most traffic on MT I still feel it has no place on a Martial Arts Website…but then it is not my site

And Bob you need do nothing I am not asking you to block it for me again

EDIT

You know I had Bob block the study for me awhile back because I felt it was a silly place that basically allowed many who were clueless to argue about things they know nothing about. Not all there were clueless however, some were and are actually rather well informed but logic, truth and facts don’t play well to the clueless that what to argue about things they know little about so they yell louder. And Bob did block it for me and MT was ok again for a bit, not as good as it use to be, but ok.

But after a time I began to think that maybe I was wrong and way to judgmental so I asked Bob to unblock it for me… and he did

So I went back to the study and started looking around a bit and things were not so bad… but then I started looking around more and getting into a few discussions and to be honest they were not bad… but then it happened… the same clueless POV that just wanted to argue about things they know little about (and no tez I am most certainly not talking about you and that is the truth)

It is time for me to take another vacation from MT

Later all

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just stay away from it. I don't have it blocked, I can see what's going on over there and that gives me a certain insight about people. But I don't get involved.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xue, I'm sure you weren't getting at me but I'm puzzled to how you think things out to be honest and if I'm even more honest it worries me a bit.

Some subjects there will be no logic about, they are always going to be emotive and you are never going to get a logical philosophical discussion. Things like abortion come to mind, there's never going to be a discussion on that subject that isn't going to be led by emotions. There's other tricky ones too.

You have to take what is read as what is meant. You also have to be able to see where the other person is coming from even if you don't sympathise. You also have to accept that a lot of the time people are explaining how they see things, or how they feel about things, there's no right or wrong in that, there's also no argument. Often there is no argument on the Study but a series of posts with people explaining themselves but others see it as an argument or take it personally. I feel people won't see where I'm coming from unless I explain myself but often that's taken as if I'm arguing with them and get a whole load of stuff back. I'm not mistaken in how I know feel though how I feel about something could be the wrong way of thinking about it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it possible to block the study from my view when I log and hit new posts? And if it is possible will that have any effect on viewing any other parts of MT.

Frankly I'd rather not go to the study. It is a silly place. But if I see it sooner or later I read it and then before I know it I am posting and then I find myself thinking lwhat the hell am I doing here, its a silly place and all it is going to do is annoy me which brings me right back to I'd rather not go to the study. It is a silly place.
You simply need the self discipline not to click on the study.:mst:
Sean

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A dangerous place the study be I think.
Once were friends on discussion about martial arts turn to heated words in there.

Best to let it go and focus on something constructive.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And yet I can't stop myself from posting in things about China... I need help... possibly an intervention... or better yet another long working trip to the tree farm where there are no computers. But it is where the tree jumped me… and sadly I was recently told they have a computer now so that will not help…. Ahhh the Yukon… that’s it… I need to go to the Yukon

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet I can't stop myself from posting in things about China... I need help... possibly an intervention... or better yet another long working trip to the tree farm where there are no computers. But it is where the tree jumped me… and sadly I was recently told they have a computer now so that will not help…. Ahhh the Yukon… that’s it… I need to go to the Yukon

Trust me you don't! there's another poster there that will drive you mad!

What you need is something in totally bad taste, used rude words and very odd pictures and will leave you shaken, shocked and stirred I recommmend this.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/last50.php

Try
1. I present the insult generator
2. The Royal Wedding Honeymoon. This is truly in bad taste but somehow very funny but I might have to explain some bits to you.
3. the game to play in '08
4. the Joint Anglo-French brigade to be announced.

What can I say? the British Army has a very perverted sense of humour, read and you will so wish you were back here! ROFLMAO!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Trust me you don't! there's another poster there that will drive you mad!

What you need is something in totally bad taste, used rude words and very odd pictures and will leave you shaken, shocked and stirred I recommmend this.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/last50.php

Try
1. I present the insult generator
2. The Royal Wedding Honeymoon. This is truly in bad taste but somehow very funny but I might have to explain some bits to you.
3. the game to play in '08
4. the Joint Anglo-French brigade to be announced.

What can I say? the British Army has a very perverted sense of humour, read and you will so wish you were back here! ROFLMAO!

I think most armies have a very perverted sense of humor as do most police and Auto mechanics. For the record I was an Auto mechanic, if it was not for a broken ankle just (2 days) before the agility I would be a police officer today and I am a Military (Navy) brat :D

And thanks, I needed that.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pick and choose how involved you'll get. I backed out for a bit, toned down much of what I posted. My blood pressure's better now.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to say thanks for the study. I like discussion of political topics as well as martial arts topics and this cuts down on where I have to go to see it. I find it interesting how many people who are probably not on my side of most issues are the first ones to want to silence discussion and debate of any kind. The study is one option out of how many? It is no different than the hatred of Fox news. There are hundreds of cable stations and yet Fox news is the only one people want to get rid of. They don't have to go there, there is no requirement that you have to go to the study before you talk about kenjutsu, kempo, or brazillian jujutsu. If you don't like the topics on the study, why on earth would you want to get rid of it? Go to all the other options on this site. Thanks for the study, I think it is great. Long live freedom of the press and free thought!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say thanks for the study. I like discussion of political topics as well as martial arts topics and this cuts down on where I have to go to see it. I find it interesting how many people who are probably not on my side of most issues are the first ones to want to silence discussion and debate of any kind. The study is one option out of how many? It is no different than the hatred of Fox news. There are hundreds of cable stations and yet Fox news is the only one people want to get rid of. They don't have to go there, there is no requirement that you have to go to the study before you talk about kenjutsu, kempo, or brazillian jujutsu. If you don't like the topics on the study, why on earth would you want to get rid of it? Go to all the other options on this site. Thanks for the study, I think it is great. Long live freedom of the press and free thought!

That's an extremely unfair statement as no one has tried to silence any discussions with you. They are disagreeing with you but no one has tried to stop you saying anything or stop any discussion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that you paint with a pretty broad brush and are a little too quick to judge.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a simple policy. Everyone is free to insert as many feet into their mouths as they like. I've been known to gnaw on a few of my own from time to time as well. As long as said gnawing is done in a reasonable manner, we're fine. Those being *******s, usually end up larted and larted again until they learn, leave or lock themselves out. :)
But debate is usually welcome, as a single view would be rather boring.

For those who aren't familiar with the term lart, its short for "Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool".