The secret of the punch close to the target of Bruce Lee?

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
None of this has anything to do with Bruce Lee or the "1-Inch punch". To be honest, I'm not sure that the OP's question did either, though. This whole discussion...

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, 1 inch punch, real or WC trick?
Never trained WC, but trained with a few guys, some say its real, others its a trick, dont know, never trained, and never had it demonstrated, you?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never trained WC, but trained with a few guys, some say its real, others its a trick, dont know, never trained, and never had it demonstrated, you?
i can hit you hard enough to make you step back from that range, though its some what debatable if its a short range punch or a good push with my fist

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i can hit you hard enough to make you step back from that range, though its some what debatable if its a short range punch or a good push with my fist
I'd agree. I can absolutely (and probably most of us) can do a 1-inch push.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with short punches, but can you generate the power, to make someone topple back 6ft, sit in a chair, the do a backwards roll, from 1 inch?
I agree you can inflict pain or discomfort, with pheonix eye strike, or strikes to vunerable areas, but usually to make space, or a distraction from a secondary attack, but can you generate real power from such a short distance.
At school we used to place the fingers, out stretched, to the solar plex, drop a punch in and the receiver would jolt back a bit, and maybe wind them, but this was they stood without a balanced stance, and usually feet together, so Imo, if you tried this on a balanced stance, it would have minimal effect.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is both real and over-sensationalized by those B&W Bruce Lee videos, but I don't think that's what the OP was interested in either. He wanted to know what we thought about the wrist strengthening device so that he could tell us that we were wrong and he was going to buy it. This whole discussion was doomed to begin with, even before it because an experience vs feeling vs stats debate on punching and wrist injuries.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And the op was advised there are other cheaper methods push ups on the fists etc

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The op was also advised, fix the weak element, any weak link, can result in injury, fracture or otherwise

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@ShortBridge , reading your signature, WC, you surely understand the method of discouragement, attack tension, to create more imbalance, which gives you more options to attack the entity or the structure of that entity, the more tension, the more opportunity, the more opportunity, the easier it is to break the will to fight, the more they fight, the more tension, the more targets.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Should of added, the morevweak points the more vunerable your opponent is

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with short punches, but can you generate the power, to make someone topple back 6ft, sit in a chair, the do a backwards roll, from 1 inch?
I agree you can inflict pain or discomfort, with pheonix eye strike, or strikes to vunerable areas, but usually to make space, or a distraction from a secondary attack, but can you generate real power from such a short distance.
At school we used to place the fingers, out stretched, to the solar plex, drop a punch in and the receiver would jolt back a bit, and maybe wind them, but this was they stood without a balanced stance, and usually feet together, so Imo, if you tried this on a balanced stance, it would have minimal effect.
If they're standing on their heels, probably. Once they're pushed beyond those double-weighted heels, the rest is done by their own bodyweight.

OP
Gangster D

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Will try them, but most are limited by their own imagination, when it comes to basic exercises, we use the push up to help develop our striking technique, improve our linked core strength with flexability.

Interestingly such push-UPS are useful for a fighter?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can punch out in 2 steps process:

1. Throw a non-committed punch (arm lead body). If your punch miss the target, you pull back and punch again.
2. If your punch land on target, you then add your body weight behind it (body chase arm).

In theory, this can be done. It's just like your finger tips touch on the wall, you then drop your palm and hit that wall.

Has anybody every developed this kind of power generation successfully? IMO, this kind of power generation method is easy to do in demo. It's hard to do in fighting.

Last edited:

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Training Ving Tsun is how you learn close range power strikes.
There is no machine that will help incorrect form.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Will try them, but most are limited by their own imagination, when it comes to basic exercises, we use the push up to help develop our striking technique, improve our linked core strength with flexability.

Nice. But have to get off those back three knuckles. Have to do them on the front two.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice. But have to get off those back three knuckles. Have to do them on the front two.

We strike with all 4 knuckles, its in the way we form the fist, which is one of the subtle differences of our arts.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also prefer to use the first two knuckles, same as in a punch. We alternate fist/arm rotation and spread distance from hand to hand.
I don't think I could do the two balls anymore but used to use one ball regularly. The nearest equivalent I do is placing my feet on a step while doing pushups.

Latest Discussions