The secret of the punch close to the target of Bruce Lee?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The conversation was weak wrist, not hand fractures, an incorrect strike with bent or weak wrist putsvit at risk, regardless of medical boundaries of what is the wrist, and what is the arm, anything that is around the bit that bends between the lower arm and the hand is the wrist, is an anatomical weak point

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The conversation was weak wrist, not hand fractures, an incorrect strike with bent or weak wrist putsvit at risk, regardless of medical boundaries of what is the wrist, and what is the arm, anything that is around the bit that bends between the lower arm and the hand is the wrist, is an anatomical weak point

Actually, no. The statement you responded to was 'you will break your hand long before you break your wrist.'

You can backpedal, you can just say you made a mistake of some sort, or you can support your claims. Or you can keep being foolish and claiming that you're going to break your wrist by punching something.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The 1st post I responded to was post #65, about what happens to a punch with weak wrists.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you strike with a bent or limp wrist, it will break, now anatomically or technically the bones maybe part of the hand or arm thats an arguement for doctors and surgeons and anyone else in that field. In my mind anywhere in that 2 or 3 inch region is the wrist, no matter how high your horse is.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So anyhow, with no further response from dirty dog, I will second the motion provided by Dropbear, if its weak, work on it, I would suggest, pushups on the knuckles, then a circular motion of the wrist, whilst in flow of the push up, this will help to keep the wrist straight on impact, and lessen the potential injury to the wrist, and do practise hitting solid objects, to reduce the injury to the hand.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So anyhow, with no further response from dirty dog, I will second the motion provided by Dropbear, if its weak, work on it, I would suggest, pushups on the knuckles, then a circular motion of the wrist, whilst in flow of the push up, this will help to keep the wrist straight on impact, and lessen the potential injury to the wrist, and do practise hitting solid objects, to reduce the injury to the hand.

I'm still waiting for you to post some support for your ridiculous claim.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats easy, go punch a heavy bag with bent loose wrists.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats easy, go punch a heavy bag with bent loose wrists.
I've done that when I was angry and dumb. I ended up hurting my wrist, and even spraining them. Never fractured them. I have fractured my pinky bones hitting a pole (didn't fracture my wrists though) hitting a pole in college while angry. I think that you're either getting a fracture and sprain mixed up, assuming hand fractures are the same as wrist fractures, or going by what you were taught rather than actual experience. Or you may have been the (extremely) rare person to actually fracture your wrist punching a heavy bag. If the last one is the case, you should have medical records of it: post the xray images on here and it would clear up a lot of the confusion.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've done that when I was angry and dumb. I ended up hurting my wrist, and even spraining them. Never fractured them. I have fractured my pinky bones hitting a pole (didn't fracture my wrists though) hitting a pole in college while angry. I think that you're either getting a fracture and sprain mixed up, assuming hand fractures are the same as wrist fractures, or going by what you were taught rather than actual experience. Or you may have been the (extremely) rare person to actually fracture your wrist punching a heavy bag. If the last one is the case, you should have medical records of it: post the xray images on here and it would clear up a lot of the confusion.

I have never broken a wrist or hand, whatever art I have trained in, I have always been taught, strong straigth wrist in a strike, or you wiil break it, whether Dirty Dog beleives or knows these bones are techniqually the lower arm or hand, like in post #105, to me that couple of inches is the wrist, and always been taught that. My trade is a Horticulturalist, not a Doctor or surgeon, yes I agree, you are more likley to damage the hand in a strike, but is it impossible to break the wrist during a strike? Has it NEVER happened? Throughout this conversation, I have not claimed DD experience or knowledge to be incorrect, the only thing I stated was I respected his TKD knowledge, but because something is not in line with his knowledge, does not make it incorrect.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never broken a wrist or hand, whatever art I have trained in, I have always been taught, strong straigth wrist in a strike, or you wiil break it, whether Dirty Dog beleives or knows these bones are techniqually the lower arm or hand, like in post #105, to me that couple of inches is the wrist, and always been taught that. My trade is a Horticulturalist, not a Doctor or surgeon, yes I agree, you are more likley to damage the hand in a strike, but is it impossible to break the wrist during a strike? Has it NEVER happened? Throughout this conversation, I have not claimed DD experience or knowledge to be incorrect, the only thing I stated was I respected his TKD knowledge, but because something is not in line with his knowledge, does not make it incorrect.
I don't think he stated it would it never happened either. I'd have to go back through the thread, but I'm fairly certain that his posts stated that it is much less likely to happen compared to fractures to the metacarpals or phalanges.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If what is said is by an expert in the field, it is logical to believe that it is correct. The discussion has relevance regarding an area that @Dirty Dog is an expert in plus he has a Ton of experience working in the ER environment. I would listen to him. He is speaking in specifics and you are speaking in generalities, moving the 'area' of the wrist out to fit your argument.
Hand or wrist? Does it really matter what breaks if you know what you are doing is going to cause it?

We have all had to learn that something we were told all of our life was not quite correct, sometimes not correct at all.
Wisdom is shown when we research and are open minded enough to accept the truth. Ignoring it because it is not historically correct in our mind is well, something entirely different from wisdom.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
im in no position to says its impossibly or never happened, just that its seems an unlikely out come, including in that assessment people i know who have broken their hand punching walls refrigerators etc of which there are quite a few

its seems an usual set of circumstance that someone would have the development to throw a punch capable of breaking a wrist whilst not having the forearm strength to resist moving the wrist so far that it broke, unless they have brittle bones or some other unfortunate condition

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone says that the matter is in the correct technique of applying the puncher. I agree with that. But the company where I want to buy the x1 simulator told me that the secret of a hard hit Bruce Lee in his strong wrist and hand. What do you think about this? And what do you think about these simulators? I don't want to buy all 3 simulators I will buy the x1 simulator they talk about it at the end of the video. I'm interested in your opinion . Or is it a waste of money?
A strong wrist and hand will not add power to the punch but a weak combo will diminish it. Structure, movement and breath = power. A good strong punch comes from a chain reaction starting from the ground moving through the legs and hips through the shoulder arm and fist. A two hundred pound person can hit hard but the trick is to get the one hundred and fifty pound person to hit like the two hundred pound one.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
im in no position to says its impossibly or never happened, just that its seems an unlikely out come, including in that assessment people i know who have broken their hand punching walls refrigerators etc of which there are quite a few

its seems an usual set of circumstance that someone would have the development to throw a punch capable of breaking a wrist whilst not having the forearm strength to resist moving the wrist so far that it broke, unless they have brittle bones or some other unfortunate condition

As I have stated, I do not disagree with 90% of injuries from strikes are to the hand, i.e the boxers fracture, but DD claimed I was talking from la la land with regards to wrist fractures, due to his knowledge and expertise, I will end my participation inbthis thread here, but leave you with the following link to a paper released in the US and the EU, which discusses hand and WRIST fractures through strikes.

Punch Injuries: Insights into Intentional Closed Fist Injuries

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
P.s the paper is from a Californian university, and is based on REAL WORLD injuries, if you cannot read it all, just forward to page 4 (so not far) which is opening comments on the paper, and pay particular notice to the words, MOST COMMON FRACTURES TO THE HANDS AND SMALL BONES OF THE WRIST, when talking about closed fist fractures.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As I have stated, I do not disagree with 90% of injuries from strikes are to the hand, i.e the boxers fracture, but DD claimed I was talking from la la land with regards to wrist fractures, due to his knowledge and expertise, I will end my participation inbthis thread here, but leave you with the following link to a paper released in the US and the EU, which discusses hand and WRIST fractures through strikes.

Punch Injuries: Insights into Intentional Closed Fist Injuries

Nope. You're completely misrepresenting what I said. What I actually said was that you'd be FAR MORE LIKELY to break your hand than your wrist.
The report you quote agrees with me. According to it, 99% of the fractures in that study were hand fractures, with 4th and 5th metacarpal fractures ALONE accounting for 67%.
So basically you've posted a link to a study that agrees exactly with what I've said.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And yet, this basically never happens. So either you're wrong, or nobody ever does this.
In either case, my statement remains correct.
You're going to break your hand before you break your wrist. Because reality.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My statement has nothing to do with any art. It has to do with the real world. It has to do with human physiology, which just happens to be what my Masters is in. It has to do with emergency medicine, which just happens to be what I do for a living. Nobody breaks their wrist by punching

The very last bit.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope. You're completely misrepresenting what I said. What I actually said was that you'd be FAR MORE LIKELY to break your hand than your wrist.

"NOBODY BREAKS THEIR WRIST BY PUNCHING", your words, quoted in the pervoius post, I am not in any way misrepresenting what you said, unless never means something else in the US.
I am always willing to learn, but the quotes from you in my posts #118 & #119, there is only 1 of us confused.