The secret of the punch close to the target of Bruce Lee?

OP
Gangster D

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@Gangster D it sounds like you had an answer in mind when you posted your question and you're going to debate any answer that you get that isn't that. That's cool, I guess, but I'm out. Training is good, do whatever you think will help you and report back.
Yes, thank you. I train in different ways. I do not like monotonous training so the body gets used to it and stops progressing. So I'm always looking for something new

OP
Gangster D

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What about the shake weight? It strengthens the arms, wrists, and hands.

shake-weight-front_2_orig.jpg
Keep that for yourself. It's not for nothing that this video is in your bookmarks)

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe that's why you didn't become a champion. I'm just kidding))
You remind me of someone else Brah,
@Dirty Dog whilst I thoroughly respect your opinion on TKD and Korean arts, I am starting to beleive your mind is closed to other opinions, yes loyalty to an art is admirable, but restricting oneslf to one thing, is tant amount to stopping the learning process, I am hopefully coming to the states in september, ego aside, no menace or intent, implied, It would be a pleasure to meet, and learn from each other, I am going to stop there, as today, I am 50, and have just started to consume alcohol. Filmed or not, it would be great to exchange ideas.

OP
Gangster D

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog whilst I thoroughly respect your opinion on TKD and Korean arts, I am starting to beleive your mind is closed to other opinions, yes loyalty to an art is admirable, but restricting oneslf to one thing, is tant amount to stopping the learning process, I am hopefully coming to the states in september, ego aside, no menace or intent, implied, It would be a pleasure to meet, and learn from each other, I am going to stop there, as today, I am 50, and have just started to consume alcohol. Filmed or not, it would be great to exchange ideas.
Friend, I would love to meet you. But I live where Golovkin lives

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Todays lesson, when you think you know, you suddenley find, the truth is not what you thought, there is always another angle

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Plan on coming to Hawaii by any chance?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you still upset about the culture thing?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You hit someone with a bent or limp wrist, its going to break the wrist before the fist.

And yet, this basically never happens. So either you're wrong, or nobody ever does this.
In either case, my statement remains correct.
You're going to break your hand before you break your wrist. Because reality.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

My statement has nothing to do with any art. It has to do with the real world. It has to do with human physiology, which just happens to be what my Masters is in. It has to do with emergency medicine, which just happens to be what I do for a living. Nobody breaks their wrist by punching. It just doesn't happen. I've been in the ER for roughly 40 years and I have never seen it. Not once. Hundreds and hundreds of broken hands, but no broken wrists. Not from punching. Is it possible? Sure, lots of things are possible. But it's incredibly rare.
That's not being closed minded. It's just being in the real world.
My statement is and was "you're going to break your hand before you break your wrist". Which you insist is wrong. Which means that in your world, people break their wrists at least as often as their hands when they punch things. And that is just nonsense.
So put up or shut up. Provide examples of people who broke their wrist by punching something.
Bear in mind that in any given year, about 0.4% of the population will have a boxers fracture (I looked up the rate of occurrence, so this is a reasonably accurate number). That means 1.1-1.2 MILLION people break their hands by punching something. Every. Single. Year.
Put up or shut up. You're going to need to find a hella lot of cases of wrists broken by punching.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's be honest. You're going to break your hand long before you break your wrist. I've treated literally hundreds of boxers fractures. I cannot recall ever seeing a wrist broken by a punch. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or even that I've never seen it (my memory ain't what it used to be...), but it's certainly a rarity compared to hand fractures.
Honestly -- I've sprained my wrist hitting a bag. I've broken knuckles (and probably a boxer's fracture or two along the way) punching "other stuff." I'd agree that an actual broken wrist is less likely, because the odds are that the breaking force will dissipate in the smaller bones of the hand first.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly -- I've sprained my wrist hitting a bag. I've broken knuckles (and probably a boxer's fracture or two along the way) punching "other stuff." I'd agree that an actual broken wrist is less likely, because the odds are that the breaking force will dissipate in the smaller bones of the hand first.
I'm trying to think through what leads to broken wrists as I understand them (as opposed to broken bones in the forearm, which I presume isn't what we're taking about), and it seems it's usually with a bent wrist (like catching yourself when falling). When punching, there's a lot of "bend" to dissipate that force before the force gets transmitted to the actual wrist joint. Some pulls and such would be common enough, but tears and breaks seem like they'd take a really bad punch to bend the wrist far enough.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That's essentially what a boxers fracture is, although the purest definition would limit it to the 4th or 5th metacarpal. Mostly because those are by far the most common.

I'm trying to think through what leads to broken wrists as I understand them (as opposed to broken bones in the forearm, which I presume isn't what we're taking about),

Deciding exactly where the wrist ends and the forearm begins is not exact.
5ec47e59f790d840059ac55a90059b_jumbo.jpeg

This shows grossly obvious radius and ulnar fractures. A super common wrist fracture. Most common cause is a FOOSH fall (Fall On Outstretched Supinated Hand). Something so common it has it's own name, just like the injury you get from punching something hard. Typically it's someone who tries to catch themselves when they fall, as opposed to tucking and rolling.
Broken wrist or broken forearm? There are carpals that are considered wrist bones, but it's fairly uncommon to see them broken. Most wrist fractures are as pictured; fractures of the distal radius and/or ulna.

and it seems it's usually with a bent wrist (like catching yourself when falling). When punching, there's a lot of "bend" to dissipate that force before the force gets transmitted to the actual wrist joint. Some pulls and such would be common enough, but tears and breaks seem like they'd take a really bad punch to bend the wrist far enough.

Sprains of the wrist are common enough from punching if you have really weak wrists or really crappy technique (either through a lack of knowledge or just a slip up). Fractures are virtually unheard off.

Latest Discussions