The Roots of MMA & Potential Link to Wing Chun

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good post Tez, and to answer your question, no it does not. In USA Catch as Catch Can has a long history and means to get a hold any way you can. Depending on where you are it went by various names like, No Holds Barred or Rough & Tumble. I think people mistake it for WWF style a lot because it branched off into that from the circus back in 1940s.

Catch even less well know in US than UK, and that sayin something!!

Only haters love in in US for sure.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catch even less well know in US than UK, and that sayin something!!

Only haters love in in US for sure.

You are burbling. 'Haters' of what? I suspect you are trying either to make your post count rise or to troll. Whatever you are doing though isn't making you look clever or serious about martial arts.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BTW, what is you're avatar, is in mannequin wearining hoodie?
It's my BOB (Body Opponent Bag). I added a hoodie and a cap, in part to make him more intimdating and in part as I can stuff the sleeves to give him arms, which I can practice seizing and controlling whilst I strike.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are burbling. 'Haters' of what? I suspect you are trying either to make your post count rise or to troll. Whatever you are doing though isn't making you look clever or serious about martial arts.

Don't be a hater

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
, I do have a question. If catch wrestling is still popular in the U.K., why are brits, by your own admission, so mediocre at wrestling? Tez3, you yourself have said many times that wrestling (broad use of the term) is not popular in the UK. But now are saying the exact opposite.

It won't even be close to the amount of participation and support that you get in America. The easiest reference point would be to look up UK highschool wrestling. And I think you would get almost nothing.

Which is why the rest of the world is so crap at it.

Also why Australia dominates sports like swimming.

As far as catch goes. If a kid grew up doing any wrestling. Then he would have a good base to do catch or folk or even MMA, Judo,BJJ.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It won't even be close to the amount of participation and support that you get in America. The easiest reference point would be to look up UK highschool wrestling. And I think you would get almost nothing.

Which is why the rest of the world is so crap at it.

Also why Australia dominates sports like swimming.

As far as catch goes. If a kid grew up doing any wrestling. Then he would have a good base to do catch or folk or even MMA, Judo,BJJ.
I think its useful to disringuish between popularity and awareness. I believe more people in the UK might know what catch wrestling is but I would be surprised if it's anywhere near as popular as BJJ.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I think you would get almost nothing.

Not almost nothing...absolutely nothing. I wouldn't say the rest of the world is rubbish at it though, the East European and Asian countries do very well, in some it's a national sport. I watched the last Olympics where the majority of medals in all the weight categories were won by non Americans. Where Americans won it was against stiff competition. It was interesting watching the bouts once the rules were explained and following some real characters going through the rounds was fun. It's where countries like Bulgaria, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Russia ( as it is now not the USSR as was) etc win their medals. They all do well in weight lifting as well, I don't know if that a coincidence lol. Seems they are doing much the same in BJJ. ADCC European Trials: Eastern Europeans Dominate
The Middle East also has a history of very good wrestlers, Iran especially. If the situation ever gets sorted there we'll see them back on the world stage.
The USSR holds the record for winning the most medals at Olympic wrestling, now it's broken up the individual countries are winning them so to say the rest of the world is rubbish is simple not true.

Latest Discussions