The Roots of MMA & Potential Link to Wing Chun

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are being unrealistic dude.
Its like "look at me, I am doin catch wrestling, not is bjj. I am special."

There are some with that attitude that I have seen, but I don't think it's most of them. The guys in Erik Paulson's group that I have met and trained with have been very nice, humble guys, most of whom also do Jiujitsu.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are some with that attitude that I have seen, but I don't think it's most of them. The guys in Erik Paulson's group that I have met and trained with have been very nice, humble guys, most of whom also do Jiujitsu.

I did meet a few with that attitude myself!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this catch wrestlin stuff is for losers with something against bjj. Its like "look at me, I am doin catch wrestling, not is bjj. I am special."

Well done. Not sure you know more about catch wrestling than anyone else tho- is mostly made up thing for people with hate chip on their shoulder against bjj.

You don't actually know what catch wrestling is do you?
The Snake Pit Wigan – Home of Catch-as-Catch-Can Wrestling | www.snakepitwigan.com

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score

I sure do Sir! I can use nthe internet just like you!

Unless you are Josh Barnett and prepared to dedicate your life to finding alternative too bjj (while also training bjj, lol) then catch wrestling is fantasy land. I notice lots of bjj haters do it, and reason is because they hate the bjj and want to feel special with something different. No biggie.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure do Sir! I can use nthe internet just like you!

Two things. One I'm not a sir under any circumstances, I'm not male and I work for a living.
Two. I didn't use Google, I know the Snakepit guys and have sent my MMA fighters across the Pennines to train with them. A friend of mine who is now an instructor also used to train with them.

I will also add that catch wrestling is a style from the UK and is actually well known here, far more than BJJ. When you make these statements you don't understand that you are only voicing your opinion not facts.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Two things. One I'm not a sir under any circumstances, I'm not male and I work for a living.
Two. I didn't use Google, I know the Snakepit guys and have sent my MMA fighters across the Pennines to train with them. A friend of mine who is now an instructor also used to train with them.

I will also add that catch wrestling is a style from the UK and is actually well known here, far more than BJJ. When you make these statements you don't understand that you are only voicing your opinion not facts.

No catch wrestling is not more well known in UK than BJJ. That is just not true, lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always interesting when you post some facts up and someone finds them 'funny'.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No catch wrestling is not more well known in UK than BJJ. That is just not true, lol.

Really and what makes you qualified to say that? considering we've had documentaries on the BBC, articles in the newspapers and have a lot of local clubs competing. There's been catch wrestling for generations here and BJJ is a relatively new thing so yes catch wrestling is more well known that BJJ here. Judo is also more well known here than BJJ.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Really and what makes you qualified to say that? considering we've had documentaries on the BBC, articles in the newspapers and have a lot of local clubs competing. There's been catch wrestling for generations here and BJJ is a relatively new thing so yes catch wrestling is more well known that BJJ here. Judo is also more well known here than BJJ.

:D you are a funny guy

How many BJJ clubs and active people in UK? How many catch places and active catch wrestler??

Stop saying untrue things, looks not that clever.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D you are a funny guy

How many BJJ clubs and active people in UK? How many catch places and active catch wrestler??

Stop saying untrue things, looks not that clever.

and you, my dear, are a troll.

What basis do you have for calling me a liar? I haven't said BJJ isn't popular, it's still fairly small here but getting bigger and better known. Catch wrestling ( Lancashire wrestling) has been around here for centuries, it's home grown and in the north of England where I am it was the big sport along with whippet racing for miners of which we used to have many. It's a pitman's sport so many know it from there. Other areas of the UK have their own styles of wrestling... Cornwall and Devon ( which is standup only) Cumberland, Scottish Backhold etc. all still reasonably popular. There's also Irish collar and elbow wrestling. These styles are still practised and there's competitions held around the country at places like County shows, Highland games etc as well as specific competitions.

People are very aware of Judo here it's been here since the 1890s at least, we have had Olympic Judoka do well and in the early days of martial arts in the UK was just about the only style you could do until the karateka arrived to teach karate. Catch and the other folk styles of course have been going for hundreds of years. BJJ didn't come to the UK until the early 2000s.

You seem to be the only one that has an issue with catch wrestling, and your propensity to be unpleasant and call people liars is a sign of your lack of knowledge. MMA is what it says it is, we take whatever techniques from whatever style and med it into our fighting style, somethings work better for some people, some things work really well, some don't work at all. Catch is one of many sources for the techniques fighters use, you don't like that, well I'm sorry that's just tough.
Don't call me a liar again, sweetie, it makes you look like a cockwomble.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
and you, my dear, are a troll.

What basis do you have for calling me a liar? I haven't said BJJ isn't popular, it's still fairly small here but getting bigger and better known. Catch wrestling ( Lancashire wrestling) has been around here for centuries, it's home grown and in the north of England where I am it was the big sport along with whippet racing for miners of which we used to have many. It's a pitman's sport so many know it from there. Other areas of the UK have their own styles of wrestling... Cornwall and Devon ( which is standup only) Cumberland, Scottish Backhold etc. all still reasonably popular. There's also Irish collar and elbow wrestling. These styles are still practised and there's competitions held around the country at places like County shows, Highland games etc as well as specific competitions.

This is complete lie. BJJ in UK is much bigger than all these added together. You could be right if it was 1920, but it is not so you are wrong.

Also UK has sucked in wrestling since the year dot, soall those awesome folk styles added up to very little even in there hay days!!

Don't call me a liar again, sweetie, it makes you look like a cockwomble.

Dude, don't tell tall tales and you won't get people calling you on it. Simples!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is complete lie. BJJ in UK is much bigger than all these added together. You could be right if it was 1920, but it is not so you are wrong.

Also UK has sucked in wrestling since the year dot, soall those awesome folk styles added up to very little even in there hay days!!

Dude, don't tell tall tales and you won't get people calling you on it. Simples!

So, BJJ is bigger than karate and Judo here, wow, you have serious delusion issues son.
I assume you are either trying ( note 'trying') to troll or you are a complete groin goblin with nothing better to do than attempt to cause trouble on here.
Now amusing as you are it's probably long past your bedtime.
Oh and about the UK and wrestling success, true we don't have any in the Olympics but there you see you are showing your ignorance because we don't do Freestyle or Greco-Roman apart from a literal handful of people, so you don't actually know the difference between any of those styles. We don't do 'high school or college' wrestling, so I'm making a wild guess at that's why we aren't successful at it.

Now, run along and try not to put your foot in your mouth anymore than you already have.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, BJJ is bigger than karate and Judo here, wow, you have serious delusion issues son.

No, but bjj is bigger than all folk style wrestling in UK witch was my point. You know its true.

Oh and about the UK and wrestling success, true we don't have any in the Olympics but there you see you are showing your ignorance because we don't do Freestyle or Greco-Roman apart from a literal handful of people, so you don't actually know the difference between any of those styles. We don't do 'high school or college' wrestling, so I'm making a wild guess at that's why we aren't successful at it

I don't see folkstyle in US havin any problems with cross over to freestyle. Dont see russian and mongolian jacket wrestle styles have any problem cross over to judo. Why would 100% of UK folk styles have zero cross over value?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but bjj is bigger than all folk style wrestling in UK witch was my point. You know its true.

I don't see folkstyle in US havin any problems with cross over to freestyle. Dont see russian and mongolian jacket wrestle styles have any problem cross over to judo. Why would 100% of UK folk styles have zero cross over value?

What on earth are you wittering about? Are you arguing with yourself or a pretend friend? You are making all sorts of things up here that nobody has mentioned. It's all very amusing but the men in white coats may well be calling on you soon. No one said anything about catch wrestling being more or less popular than any other style, your delusions are getting the better of you. You seriously need to go and have a stern word with yourself, you're rambling.
You made a stupid comment about catch being fake and only for people who hate BJJ, neither of which is true. I pointed out catch wrestling has a long history and is in fact real, I didn't actually say it was more popular than anything. I didn't say BJJ is more popular than anything either, it's a relatively new thing here. It is attracting more people, I've been doing it for 17 years now but isn't as popular as TKD, TKD and karate here, which is understandable as they have all been here longer. We don't have the same percentage of BJJ black belt instructors that there are in the US as yet but I'm sure we will have at some point which will be great. It takes time to build. We have BJJ comps here which are getting more numerous so the future looks good. BJJers don't hate catch and catch doesn't hate BJJ, in fact there's a fair bit of cross training as people explore new techniques for MMA.
Now I realise this is a lot to comprehend but do try to control yourself you are getting over excited and I don't want you to wet yourself, that would be more embarrassment for you, you said enough to embarrass yourself considerably already.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
No one said anything about catch wrestling being more or less popular than any other style

Right here:

Tez3 said:
I will also add that catch wrestling is a style from the UK and is actually well known here, far more than BJJ.

Complete untrue. Bjj far more well known in UK than catch

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right here:

Complete untrue. Bjj far more well known in UK than catch

Being well known and being popular are two very different things. You are misunderstanding a lot of what is being said here. We aren't talking about people who practice either style, we are talking about people who know about them and catch is far more known about than BJJ. More people may actually do BJJ than catch but the public awareness is different. You are tying yourself up in knots because you don't understand what is being said. Boxing is very well known here but isn't the most popular style of martial art to actually do.

You have misunderstood and got abusive over nothing. You said catch was fake and was done only by people who hate BJJ neither of which is true. Catch came long before BJJ in the UK where catch comes from. I've shown you the history as well as telling you it's still practiced and people do know about it. You took this to mean it's more popular than BJJ and I'm lying. Not my fault you can't understand what I'm saying because I've said it plainly.
While people in the UK do know more about martial arts today than they have ever done, thanks mostly to the film industry and the Olympics in London, it is still a niche activity/sport. MMA is popular among a small group of people and practiced by an even smaller amount. it's very easy to imagine that because you do an activity it's a popular one because the numbers seem huge to you. We don't get crowds coming to martial arts events in the same way they come to football, cricket and both the rugby rules games. We have a small amount of people here who play American football, there's even a league but it's by no means 'popular' to play but will have a huge number watching the Superbowl on the television. A lot of people know about American football but isn't popular here to play.
Here you will find people who knew their dad/granddad did catch wrestling, in the old working men's clubs there's trophies from the catch competitions. It's remembered and known about. There are still people who do it and more people who know about it.

I also think you are confusing catch with 'all in wrestling' which started in the 1930s and went on to be what is now the 'fake' type you see on the television. "ALL-IN" Wrestling History

I assume you will ignore all this and carry on trying to get threads locked as per the other CMA ones you've been on. So be it, I've tried to explain and I'm happy that what I've said is representative of where we are today as regards catch and BJJ. Despite what you may do most martial artists don't disrespect or 'hate' other types and styles, they carry on doing what they do and find other people's styles with their similarities and differences interesting. if you continually exhibit this aggressive attitude of yours you will find no one taking you seriously or inclined to discuss anything with you.