Is there any vulnerability in Wing Chun?

Yeung

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure as some of the remarks in the forum are justifiable due to lack of proper understand of the art. Like every art there is room for improvement.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No person is perfect. Every person can be vulnerable and has room to improve their skills and knowledge.

Wing chun is not an entity. It is simply an approach to training. Some people understand the methods better than others, some variants have more curriculum than others, but it boils down to the person. No person is perfect.

Now, how many pages of pointless and repetitive argument will this thread get?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not sure as some of the remarks in the forum are justifiable due to lack of proper understand of the art. Like every art there is room for improvement.

Now that my friend, as perfectly illustrated in recent discussions here, depends entirely upon who you talk to! ;) Some people try to use common sense and reason, while some people seem to look at their chosen system as if it was a religious belief.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

Reactions: KPM

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course it's got weaknesses. The ones who say it's perfect with no weakness are the ones who don't understand the art

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think KPM is goin a long way to cover any holes in teh original wing chun by adding boxing! this is the way fwd!!;)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think KPM is goin a long way to cover any holes in teh original wing chun by adding boxing! this is the way fwd!!;)
Not just boxing. It's about filling ranges.

Some claim their wc(or wt or vt etc) is already enough, but even they have to admit any and all WC systems are still of little use on the ground.

Me, with my (admittedly limited) understanding of Wing chun, it's only practical at trapping range; IMO there is no better system of short range striking. But short range striking is only a small part of combat, and at that same range there is also grappling(for which some judo or juijitsu doesn't hurt).

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well thanks! But saying "plugging holes" is too much like saying "gap-filling." Wing Chun has ability at long range. For some people that is enough and is workable. But it may indeed be a vulnerability depending upon the situation. So I would call it "augmenting" more than "gap filling." But what I am doing actually goes beyond that. I'm working one a smooth hybridization of Wing Chun and Boxing, the would truly be a new category...."Wing Chun Boxing."

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's absurd to think that a conceptual framework such as WC could lack vulnerability in all forms of combat.

200 yards downrange from a trained sniper, my wing chun skills won't help me worth a damn.

The skill of the practitioner lies in his/her ability to force an assailant to fight in the range and circumstances that are most comfortable and familiar to the practitioner.

Way_of_the_Crane

White Belt
Reaction score
Like previously stated, all arts have their vulnerability. If you are a student of the art, spar with any other Kung Fu or Martial art and you will see where these vulnerabilities are.
I think telling someone will not get the same message across as an eye opening experience of a WC technique not working against another technique, especially in my past where the result was getting hit.
When you think about how that happened, you will know it can happen/perhaps how to counter it. I love that the study of WC does not end, yet starts over to better yourself, if that hopefully makes sense.

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i agree with mr crane any style will have gaps, every move has a counter and a counter to that move. At the end of the day you only need to be 0.5% better than the other person to win.

Unless the other person has 3 arms......... then thats bad luck you're finished.

is that statement too general?

Way_of_the_Crane

White Belt
Reaction score
i agree with mr crane any style will have gaps, every move has a counter and a counter to that move. At the end of the day you only need to be 0.5% better than the other person to win.

Unless the other person has 3 arms......... then thats bad luck you're finished.

is that statement too general?

Hahaha, I can say I have not had formal training on a person with three arms, I'm curious where this extra limb might even be on the body. Maybe if you try to get this 3 armed person wrapped up within themselves, like a pretzel, one may have a chance.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To truly understand your art, you need to treat it objectively and actively seek out its (and your) weaknesses. If you can't find any in Wing Chun, you probably aren't trying or don't want to for fear of what you might find.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can't find any in Wing Chun, you probably aren't trying or don't want to for fear of what you might find.
Can you find "通背(Tong Bei) - one arm" concept in the WC system? When you punch right hand out, you pull left hand back. Both of your arms can be considered as one arm.

one_arm.jpg

Some people try to use common sense and reason, ...
If you keep your arm and chest as a 90 degree angle, both of your arms can hit on your opponent but your reach is limited. If you twist your body and punch out one arm as far as you can while pulling the other arm back as far as you can, you can have more reach.

This is just "common sense" but some people want to say, "my style doesn't do this".

Believe it or not, some people even say to bend your head down to pick up a $100 bill from the ground is against the Taiji principle. That's how seriously people may treat themselves as "the slaves of their MA system".

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well thanks! But saying "plugging holes" is too much like saying "gap-filling." Wing Chun has ability at long range. For some people that is enough and is workable. But it may indeed be a vulnerability depending upon the situation. So I would call it "augmenting" more than "gap filling." But what I am doing actually goes beyond that. I'm working one a smooth hybridization of Wing Chun and Boxing, the would truly be a new category...."Wing Chun Boxing."

One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. Let's suggest it is gap filling when they do it and argumentation when we do it.

Way_of_the_Crane

White Belt
Reaction score
Can you find "通背(Tong Bei) - one arm" concept in the WC system? When you punch right hand out, you pull left hand back. Both of your arms can be considered as one arm.

one_arm.jpg

If you keep your arm and chest as a 90 degree angle, both of your arms can hit on your opponent but your reach is limited. If you twist your body and punch out one arm as far as you can while pulling the other arm back as far as you can, you can have more reach.

This is just "common sense" but some people want to say, "my style doesn't do this".

Believe it or not, some people even say to bend your head down to pick up a $100 bill from the ground is against the Taiji principle. That's how seriously people may treat themselves as "the slaves of their MA system".

I've never heard Tong Bei until you brought it up. Its actually a solid technique, so I thank you for this, I spent the last hour or so doing research on it, its defiantly not something one gains over night. Do you know of any videos that might show this at max speed? I see it similar to a chain punch being, always occupying the space. But with the hip pivots and the arm pulled far back with it, i could see it being more powerful yet not as fast as the chain punch. I love to expand such knowledge, so the more the merrier.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Not sure what that had to do with my post, to which this was a response. I can't find your rhino guard in Wing Chun either, though whether that is good or bad is open to debate. No flying omoplatas either.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

one_arm.jpg

And turning the body like that is torso rotation which, when done correctly, increases power. Tibetan white crane does this, only in fundamentals practice we exaggerate the movement to emphasize the rotation and the body connection. But I always say that we are not the only system to use this, but in training, we just exaggerate more than the others. Same principle, somewhat different manifestation.

Latest Discussions