The real Mitt Romney, more people should know about him...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
If some of the reports coming out now are true, Romney holding the mortgage on this house, and some others, as a part of a scheme to avoid taxes. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if so, just makes romney look even worse on the tax front.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like I say, tho, WC, as a breed they (politicians) are pretty much all the same. Noone ever gets rich by working for a living and most people get into the wealth strata with a varying number of financial irregularities to their name. That is not the same as implying illegality of course, tho' most of us who work in Wage Slave Land would consider some of what the wealthy can do to avoid taxation or enrich their 'pot' as things that should be illegal.

Picking on this Romney fellow because of coyness about his tax returns is a bit of a red herring - avoid him like the plague because no modern, educated (mostly), democracy should want it's leader to be someone who defines himself by belief in a mythical heavenly being.

Of course there are those who would argue that belief in any given kind of socio-economic system falls under the same banner of 'nuttiness' :D.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Like I say, tho, WC, as a breed they (politicians) are pretty much all the same. Noone ever gets rich by working for a living and most people get into the wealth strata with a varying number of financial irregularities to their name. That is not the same as implying illegality of course, tho' most of us who work in Wage Slave Land would consider some of what the wealthy can do to avoid taxation or enrich their 'pot' as things that should be illegal.

And I don't mean to imply that anything he's done is illegal, just something that the average "Wage Slave Land" American is not only not going to understand, but resent. So, it's not a red herring-especially since he's hanging his hat on his business acumen being his qualification for the presidency, and his financial and tax history is reflective of that very thing, for good or ill.

Picking on this Romney fellow because of coyness about his tax returns is a bit of a red herring

See above.
- avoid him like the plague because no modern, educated (mostly), democracy should want it's leader to be someone who defines himself by belief in a mythical heavenly being.

Over here in America, most of the modern, mostly educated populace wants their leader to be someone who believes in a mythical heavenly being. As to whether or not Romney defines himself by that, well, that's another discussion altogether.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is your last statement, regarding the proportion of Mythologists, really true Elder? There is a pun in there about hoping to God that it isn't :lol:.

As to the other things you highlight, I quite agree. I was really just trying to say that, other than his using his 'business' history as a campaign positive, most other wealthy people will be much the same as Mr. Romney when it comes to the generalities of their fiscal dealings.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Is your last statement, regarding the proportion of Mythologists, really true Elder? There is a pun in there about hoping to God that it isn't :lol:.

More believers here than not-it's probably not a criteria for a great many of them as far as Presidential candidates, except on the most visceral level.

[h=1]More Than 9 in 10 Americans Continue to Believe in God[/h][h=2]Professed belief is lower among younger Americans, Easterners, and liberals[/h]by Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- More than 9 in 10 Americans still say "yes" when asked the basic question "Do you believe in God?"; this is down only slightly from the 1940s, when Gallup first asked this question.
pz5ko_z5ru-dwvlupny5nw.gif

Despite the many changes that have rippled through American society over the last 6 ½ decades, belief in God as measured in this direct way has remained high and relatively stable. Gallup initially used this question wording in November 1944, when 96% said "yes." That percentage dropped to 94% in 1947, but increased to 98% in several Gallup surveys conducted in the 1950s and 1960s. Gallup stopped using this question format in the 1960s, before including it again in Gallup's May 5-8 survey this year.

Last edited:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember also that one of the attacks on Obama was the he's a secret Muslim. So belief in God isn't the prerequisite for many people as is the belief in the "right" God.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Remember also that one of the attacks on Obama was the he's a secret Muslim. So belief in God isn't the prerequisite for many people as is the belief in the "right" God.
\

It's more nuanced than that, of course. The larger, more successful attack was that he went to a "racist, liberation theology oriented church," run by a "radical communist liberation theology racist" pastor-something a lot of people found easy enough to believe, because it's partially true.

So not just belief in the "right" God, but going to the right church, or at least not the wrong one-or, at least not the Wright one. :lol:

All of which are, of course, completely legitimate reasons to be suspicious of Obama and not vote for him.

On the other hand, the United Church of Christ is one of the most benign, diverse and tolerant Protestant denominations in the country-in fact, it's downright ecumenical, and its individual churches have a fair amount of autonomy-odds are good that a lot of people making those judgements were, in fact, UCC members......well, maybe not a lot of them....

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Back on topic, though, I don't think Mitt Romney the candidate is a very genuine person at all.

"I was watching the news yesterday and it finally hit me why Mitt Romney bugs me the wrong way. Mitt Romney has this.... aura about him like the guy trying to **** your Mom. Think about it. You know that feeling. He doesnt give a **** about you but he needs you to like him so he can **** your mom. So everytime he is on TV thats all I hear. 'Hey Buster, what grade are you in? ha ha ha I'm just like you. ha ha. How ya doing whipersnapper, I want to **** your mom!" - Daniel Kinno

:lfao:

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Picking on this Romney fellow because of coyness about his tax returns is a bit of a red herring - avoid him like the plague because no modern, educated (mostly), democracy should want it's leader to be someone who defines himself by belief in a mythical heavenly being.

Well, truth be told, you can't get elected dog catcher around here if you don't at least proclaim such believes and affiliation with a club (church) of the right kind....

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Well, truth be told, you can't get elected dog catcher around here if you don't at least proclaim such believes and affiliation with a club (church) of the right kind....

While this is a popular sentiment, it isn't necessarily so.

Waaay, way back, in 1939, the state of California elected another man who was raised a Mormon, but became openly atheist at the age of 10. Governor Culbert Olson:

Olson refused to say "so help me God" during his oath of office to state Supreme Court Justice William H. Waste. Olson remarked earlier to Justice Waste that "God couldn't help me at all, and that there isn't any such person." Instead, Olson said, "I will affirm."[SUP][[/SUP]

Congressman Pete Stark, (D) California, and Jesse Ventura are both openly atheist....

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
They are all filthy stinking rich Obama Romney Biden Who ever Romney picks for VP all have more money then most people will ever see in there lifetime so I don't see why its an issue. Once your bank account has more then 6 zeros after a number does it really matter anymore?

And Paul Ryan actually is one of those "strictly upper-middle class" millionaires that I was talking about.
:

Average Net Worth: $1,503,012*

Minimum Net Worth: $605,025
Maximum Net Worth: $2,400,999

Average 2011 Income: $314,607**

Min. Gross Income: $244,213
Max. Gross Income: $385,000

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While this is a popular sentiment, it isn't necessarily so.

Waaay, way back, in 1939, the state of California elected another man who was raised a Mormon, but became openly atheist at the age of 10. Governor Culbert Olson:

Congressman Pete Stark, (D) California, and Jesse Ventura are both openly atheist....

That's California....and up north! (;))

And after 45 the dude would have been run out of town on a rail for being a communist, too....

(but you are right, there are exceptions to every rule!)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So is it the issue that people think Romney should have less or that we should have more? If it's that we should have more, where should we be getting it from?

The way these politicians try to spin wealth as bad when most of them likely play similar games is such political theater...yet most of us think its legit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
So is it the issue that people think Romney should have less or that we should have more? If it's that we should have more, where should we be getting it from?

The way these politicians try to spin wealth as bad when most of them likely play similar games is such political theater...yet most of us think its legit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't think it's an issue of "more" or "less," as much as-for some, it's an issue of "how" and "where."

And, sure, we all do things to minimize our tax burden, not just politicians, and not just the wealthy or very wealthy. I've done many of the things Romney has apparently done, on a smaller scale, but I'm not running for President (EVER!!) so no one but me, Rita-that's the wife- my accountant and banks, and the IRS know anything about it-which is as I think it should be for all candidates. Quite honestly, where their money came from, how much there is and how much they paid in taxes has nothing to do with how well they'll do the job-and the IRS is pretty good at catching any irregularities, legal or otherwise. Also, as candidates, the OPM investigation for their security clearance will investigate their last 7 years of tax returns-they have special accountants for complicated cases like Mr. Romney's-I know, because I once spent the better part of a day with one......

It's what's become customary, though, a public financial disclosure, and-while I can understand his reluctance-Mr. Romney does himself a greater disservice witholding the tax returns than almost any information they reveal could, IMNSHO.....

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think it's an issue of "more" or "less," as much as-for some, it's an issue of "how" and "where."

And, sure, we all do things to minimize our tax burden, not just politicians, and not just the wealthy or very wealthy. I've done many of the things Romney has apparently done, on a smaller scale, but I'm not running for President (EVER!!) so no one but me, Rita-that's the wife- my accountant and banks, and the IRS know anything about it-which is as I think it should be for all candidates. Quite honestly, where their money came from, how much there is and how much they paid in taxes has nothing to do with how well they'll do the job-and the IRS is pretty good at catching any irregularities, legal or otherwise. Also, as candidates, the OPM investigation for their security clearance will investigate their last 7 years of tax returns-they have special accountants for complicated cases like Mr. Romney's-I know, because I once spent the better part of a day with one......

It's what's become customary, though, a public financial disclosure, and-while I can understand his reluctance-Mr. Romney does himself a greater disservice witholding the tax returns than almost any information they reveal could, IMNSHO.....

Well, on the other hand, since those folks have their hands in the cookie jar (meaning our wallets) it sounds only fair that their financial interests in the tax laws are laid open.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder if he had to turn over his college transcripts or his birth certificate? :) I wonder if there will be an "I'll show you mine if...." moment coming?

I still cant figure out how I have had to turn over all of that and far MORE for all the jobs I've had..but somehow the president of the US isn't required to do so? Hell I had to be examined by a shrink, turn over my credit report, BC, DD214 and have my friends and family interviewed (and thats just a sample) just to jet a job as an LEO. Is stuff like this a MANDATORY requirement to run for president (obviously not)? And why isn't it?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also don't think its an issue of the have and have-nots. For myself anyway, it is any issue of everyone, rich and not rich, playing by the same set of rules. Obviously that is never going to happen, but I can dream :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I wonder if he had to turn over his college transcripts or his birth certificate? :) I wonder if there will be an "I'll show you mine if...." moment coming?

I still cant figure out how I have had to turn over all of that and far MORE for all the jobs I've had..but somehow the president of the US isn't required to do so? Hell I had to be examined by a shrink, turn over my credit report, BC, DD214 and have my friends and family interviewed (and thats just a sample) just to jet a job as an LEO. Is stuff like this a MANDATORY requirement to run for president (obviously not)? And why isn't it?

No. All of that getsr turned over, in one way or another, to the OPM-Office of Personnel Management. What I call
The Revenge of th "C" Students They'll do the investigation-they'll go directly to the IRS and get *(not "ask," or "ask for" ) your tax records for the last ten years. They'll interview your friends all the way back to 5th or 6th grade. They'll talk to your neighbors and friendls....then they'll question YOU-about everythin.

But those tax returns they get from the IRS? not a matter of "public record," any more than your ice-cream medicine. :lfao:"

Latest Discussions