Romney Picks Paul Ryan...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is Hugh Hewitt, law professor, practising attorney and conservative radio host, as he looks at the Ryan pick for V.P.

http://www.hughhewitt.com/blog/g/99f5dd73-b8e1-42de-aa7b-40d26816bba1

Terrific debut by Paul Ryan. The theme of "the choice" is a good one, and the promise by both Governor Romney and Representative Ryan of a serious campaign of ideas contrasts very well with the politics of personal destruction coming out of Chicago. Ryan's youth, energy and obvious command of details and arguments adds a great deal to Romney's already considerable appeal, and the Badger State just went into the red column, rearranging the map in a stroke. Ryan's Catholicism is of the serious sort and will also help Governor Romney up and down the line of battleground states.

Ryan is prime time ready and also very ready to be president, a man who came close to running himself and who had a large base of support to do so. Almost every serious journalist in America has had at least one sit-down with Ryan over the past few years, and the links to a few of the transcripts of our lengthy interviews from 2011 and 2012 are below. Congressman Ryan is always prepared, always quick on his feet, and always full of good humor and sincere curiosity.

Other journalists looking for good background on the new Veep nominee might call Congressman John Campbell who is his colleague on the Budget Committee and who was on my show yesterday extolling the Congressman's virtues. Campbell is also one of the smart guys in Congress, and his enthusiasm is easy to understand: The Romney-Ryan ticket is a ticket of smart, family guys brimming with a corny-to-the-left-but-touching-to-most-Americans belief in American exceptionalism and America's founding values.

With Ryan's selection, Romney has reconnected the Reagan era with the rising generation. Ryan is a Bill Bennett-Jack Kemp protege, and a son of the midwest. It is powerful combo with Mitt Romney, the brilliant son-of-Michigan who was capable of rising in the east and saving a western Olympics.

Ryan is also someone who has personally annoyed obama and has been personally insulted by obama. It should make for an interesting campaign...

Here is a quick video introduction of Paul Ryan in his own words dealing with various issues...

http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/11/the-best-of-paul-ryan-video/

This is the video where Paul Ryan schools obama on the disaster of obamacare...you can see the steam coming out of obamas ears and the "he's a nice guy," mask slipping off obama's face...and Ryan does this in a polite, competent way...there is an important moment at the 2:55 mark where Ryan talks about what will happen to medicare...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/08/11/Flashback-Ryan-Destroys-Obama-In-6-Minutes

Watching this video, and obama's reaction to Ryan's analysis of obamacare, if you thought what they did to Palin was bad, wait till obama's minions go after Paul Ryan and his family, this will be personal...they will take no prisoners...get ready for one of the worst hit jobs in political history...

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The picture on the MSN home page looked like a propaganda photo for gay marriage...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Paul Ryan is easily one of the most honest people in Congress, and is probably too young to have any skeletons in his closet. He's a good choice, demographically and ideologically, being solidly to the right of Romney.

I don't like the idea of privatizing Social Security, something he's an advocate of. I like some of his budget ideas, but others.....not so much.

Shaping up to be an interesting campaign, ideologically speaking.

Biden will eat him alive in the debates, I'll bet, though....

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Biden will eat him alive in the debates, I'll bet, though....
Please. Surely you're not talking about Vice President Joe Biden, are you?. The one who thinks "jobs" is a three-letter word?
I can't wait for this debate. Condy Rice would have destroyed Biden. No doubt Ryan will come out the winner as well.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Please. Surely you're not talking about Vice President Joe Biden, are you?. The one who thinks "jobs" is a three-letter word?
I can't wait for this debate. Condy Rice would have destroyed Biden. No doubt Ryan will come out the winner as well.

Well, the judgement on those is subjective. Quite honestly, I'm willing to bet a few hundred dollars that, in the end, while Ryan will have made the most substantive points, it will be Biden who gets all the juicy soundbites, and, in the end, that's what wins votes-and debates-in our short attention span, tweeted down society.

Only a man who thinks "jobs" is a three letter word could make a witty televised rejoinder in 144 characters or less. :lol:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Paul Ryan has an "A" rating from the NRA...

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/08/11/paul-ryan-and-the-2nd-amendment/

Well, for one thing, he’s got an A rating from the NRA.
Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers.
Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse.
Voted YES on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1.
National cross-state standard for concealed carry.
How does he feel about hunting in general? Mitt has been the recipient of some ribbing over his “hunting varmints” comments. Even though this particular shot was from bow hunting season, it’s clear that Ryan prefers larger game.

The Virginia Shooting Sports Association was quick to weigh in.

There’s really not much in the way of “nuance” here. Ryan is, by all accounts, a physical fitness enthusiast, an avid hunter and an uncompromising champion of the second amendment rights of citizens. No squeamishness, no compromise, no blurred lines. If that’s something of interest to you in the candidates on a presidential ticket, file it away for further use.

Someone called him the Republican John Kennedy...except you probably won't find mobsters and floozies in his background...
Ryan already schooled obama in a debate so biden or clinton won't be a problem...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Paul Ryan has an "A" rating from the NRA...

Yeah. Second amendment props to someone from Wisconsin. Big Surprise-sportsman's paradise and all that. I have pretty much the same position on most 2nd amendment issues, but it's not a big one with undecided voters.

I don't make sausage, but my friend John does. Whatever.

Someone called him the Republican John Kennedy...except you probably won't find mobsters and floozies in his background...

I dunno, man. I bet it's hard to be a heterosexual man from that part of the world and not know a coupla "floozies." I mean, I've known women from Wisconsin-in the carnal sense, and......damn.. I normally wouldn't even touch the ethnicity question, but if she says she's Polish and she's from Milwaukee......damn!!....:lol:

I won't even get to those women from the Dakotas.......ouch! :lfao:

Ryan already schooled obama in a debate so biden or clinton won't be a problem...

If the debates were about substantive discussion and intercourse, I'd agree with you. If there were going to be more than one, I'd agree with you. If they were going to be hosted and sponsored by FoxNews, I'd agree with you. None of those are the case, and it will be all about sound bites, flash, and experience in front of the press and the cameras-based on these, Biden's the likely "winner," and Ryan doesn't have a prayer, really-people forget Biden's real political strengths, until he whips them out......

Oh, and that whole "eradicate Medicare, Medicaid, and wipe out Social Security by privatizing it thing?

Kiss all those old farts in Florida goodbye! :lfao:

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Second amendment props to someone from Wisconsin. Big Surprise-sportsman's paradise and all that. I have pretty much the same position on most 2nd amendment issues, but it's not a big one with undecided voters.

I don't make sausage, but my friend John does. Whatever.

I dunno, man. I bet it's hard to be a heterosexual man from that part of the world and not know a coupla "floozies." I mean, I've known women from Wisconsin-in the carnal sense, and......damn.. I normally wouldn't even touch the ethnicity question, but if she says she's Polish and she's from Milwaukee......damn!!....:lol:

I won't even get to those women from the Dakotas.......ouch! :lfao:

If the debates were about substantive discussion and intercourse, I'd agree with you. If there were going to be more than one, I'd agree with you. If they were going to be hosted and sponsored by FoxNews, I'd agree with you. None of those are the case, and it will be all about sound bites, flash, and experience in front of the press and the cameras-based on these, Biden's the likely "winner," and Ryan doesn't have a prayer, really-people forget Biden's real political strengths, until he whips them out......

Oh, and that whole "eradicate Medicare, Medicaid, and wipe out Social Security by privatizing it thing?

Kiss all those old farts in Florida goodbye! :lfao:

man, I think I'd pay big bucks for 'Elder's Hour' on either network, explaining how the political world works!
:roflmao:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Biden over Ryan?

In a debate?

Seriously?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Biden over Ryan?

In a debate?

Seriously?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Like I said, I'm willing to bet that when it's over, most of the media will be saying Biden won. It's the one serious thing he'll have had to do in four years, and he'll show up prepared, won't stumble, and will get some soundbite zingers in. In a true "Lincoln-Douglas," National Forensic Society, impartially judged debate, he'd lose, but that's not what the nationally televised campaign moments are, is it?

Don't even want to get into the whole Romney/Obama debate thing-there'll be more than one of those, and they won't be pleasant at all......

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm willing to bet that when it's over, most of the media will be saying Biden won. It's the one serious thing he'll have had to do in four years, and he'll show up prepared, won't stumble, and will get some soundbite zingers in. In a true "Lincoln-Douglas," National Forensic Society, impartially judged debate, he'd lose, but that's not what the nationally televised campaign moments are, is it?

Don't even want to get into the whole Romney/Obama debate thing-there'll be more than one of those, and they won't be pleasant at all......

But the entertainment value will be out of this world.

Latest Discussions