Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don, quick question for you. Is this thread just for your rants, or can anybody jump in? If the latter... I have a great one concerning why everybody with a fresh, ink still wet, release form from a mental institution feels they have to show up at a "Ninja School" for training. After a couple of training sessions come the enevitable questions about when the "secret training starts" or after a technique is shown - how many different ways you can use it to "off" somebody.

No, it is not just for me.

And I have not had to deal with much in the way of nut cases while I have been here in Japan. Most of the guys that look for that type of thing just can't seem to make it.

But I hear what you are saying about the matter. You only have to look around the internet to see that a lot of the people asking about ninjutsu training are looking for some sort of fantasy or justification for their mental illness.

I don't think they last long in real dojos. But there is always someone out there willing to peddle to them. And a lot of times we have run across people who have taken a lesson or two and then decided they can start a "real" form of ninjutsu because we in the Bujinkan don't teach how to poison people.

Good riddence.

Thank Cuthulu I can say I teach "Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu" on my advertisments if I ever move back and start my own dojo. I have decided that using the term ninjutsu would not be best for the reasons you state.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No, it is not just for me.

And I have not had to deal with much in the way of nut cases while I have been here in Japan. Most of the guys that look for that type of thing just can't seem to make it.

But I hear what you are saying about the matter. You only have to look around the internet to see that a lot of the people asking about ninjutsu training are looking for some sort of fantasy or justification for their mental illness.

I don't think they last long in real dojos. But there is always someone out there willing to peddle to them. And a lot of times we have run across people who have taken a lesson or two and then decided they can start a "real" form of ninjutsu because we in the Bujinkan don't teach how to poison people.

Good riddence.

Thank Cuthulu I can say I teach "Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu" on my advertisments if I ever move back and start my own dojo. I have decided that using the term ninjutsu would not be best for the reasons you state.

I am not trying to take this off topic, just as an aside, but I believe you run into the same thing in China. If they are a nut case they will not last long, but from what I can gather there aren't any in MA in China, it is a great way to get a beating so they stay away.

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
its been my experience that yeah they turn up for a couple of lessons and leave at my dojo your given a form to fill out and it has one simple question do you have a criminal record yes no it doesnt mean if you do that you cant train its just askin but youd be surprised at how many ppl it deters from joining so this deters the crazys or undesirables
Just in general ive noticed in my area of living that the fakes soon get discovered and shut down whether by the ppl they are trainin or by the authentic instructors of the art but something to remember that some one really lookin for the truth will eventually find it i know i did
thanks guys

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I just live in an area where there are very limited services for people who NEED help, and when I say they show up fresh out of the mental ward, I mean it. Anything from self-proclamed masters of Ninjutsu who are traveling through and want to "enlighten" us on the "proper method" of running across the tips of the swords of our enemies; to the individual who wanted to know how many people were "really" in class because he knew about the Ninjers ways of invisability and could sense the presence of more people in class than he could see. Granted these are a couple of the more extreme casses, but about half of the new people are looking for something that Ninjutsu (or any MA) simply cannot grant them due to the laws of physics, I mean it would be cool if we HAD flying classes, or invisability training, or the ability to walk through a brick wall... shoot maybe I'm just not good enough yet. :banghead:

I agree Don, BBT would be much better on the signage and other business related items. It might keep out those who have no idea what it is. Better than "Ninjutsu" which everybody seems to have a preconcived idea of what it entails (either good or bad.)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, telling them to move on does happen. It is just amazing you should have to. I guess we should just look at the situation from the aspect that we are in an art that while having a high public awareness, has a very low public knowledge base.

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not sticking up for the crazys but most dont know theyre crazy so that would be why you might have to tell them to move on you could just be quite physical and have them leave that way we do this at my dojo it seems to work as bad as it sounds but unfortunately there was a case where a man used to train with us but got into some shady deals and went to jail and isnt stable up there by most peoples standards anyway we had to play nice rough and it worked he hasnt come back since its a weeding out process i beleive i must admit though we dont get the crazys who think they can crouching tiger hidden dragon things itd be fun to watch them try though
thanks

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, to play devils advocate, with some of the stuff we do to each other in this art... we all have to be a little crazy to study it.

:D

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What does it say about you if you're the first person to be paired up with the white belt wearing a shooto rashguard?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
What does it say about you if you're the first person to be paired up with the white belt wearing a shooto rashguard?

It could be that you have the attitude that the instructor knows you won't just start laughing at the guy. Or, it could be that you will, either way...

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a rant....

Has anyone ever been paired up with someone that can't get the lock on and tries to muscle his way through it? The more they can't get it, the more strength and speed they try to use to make it work.

Then, the angles and such just come toegether by accident and they are still cranking it on with ever bit of power they can muster. :vu:

I have a wrap on my elbow now due to an over enthusiastic partner during Setsuyaku practice. With all the icing and such, I hope to be back at training this weekend.

But the next time I see someone try to muscle a joint attack instead of take it slower and work out the right way to do things, I am going to drop them on the spot. :btg:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But the next time I see someone try to muscle a joint attack instead of take it slower and work out the right way to do things, I am going to drop them on the spot.

When I am working with someone who is using too much strength, I usually a) tell them to stop or b) roll out and then get up and say "nah, that was all muscle"... SO FAR I've never been hurt doing that. And I can honestly say, I have muscled my way thru techniques, often without realizing I was doing it. Dont think Id appreciate being beaten for it, instead of instructed, but thats just me.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I am working with someone who is using too much strength, I usually a) tell them to stop or b) roll out and then get up and say "nah, that was all muscle

Every time I try to do that, someone says "less talking, more training". Understand my predicament.

And every time I do what Don says, people talk crap behind my back and I as well as people around me receive unpleasant emails.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every time I try to do that, someone says "less talking, more training". Understand my predicament.

Color me insane, but Communication with the Uke/Tori is training. You guys cant seriously trian in silence with no feedback between the two? That would be crazy.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are a lot of things currently going on both here and there that are infinitely more crazy than it would be to train in total silence. Let's just say that my contempt for parts of the Bujinkan clientel is growing bigger every day, a lot of it because I don't feel I'm in a proper position to initiate a conversation with those it may concern.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Color me insane, but Communication with the Uke/Tori is training. You guys cant seriously trian in silence with no feedback between the two? That would be crazy.

Believe it or not, I have heard of American instructors who run their dojo that way. Supposed to be something about instilling "discipline".

Tends to go along wth things like paying very strict attention/deference to seniority when training; speaking only when spoken to by seniors; always referring to the instructor by his title and not his name, e.g. "Shidoshi doesn't want us to. . ."; not letting their students mix with those of other dojo because "Only Shidoshi understands Budo, and he doesn't want his students to be confused or corrupted by inferior teachers"; and so on.

Fair gives me the shudders, it does.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The REALLY scary scenario is when that kind of environment is created solely by the people participating, without any interference from the instructor.

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I have heard of American instructors who run their dojo that way. Supposed to be something about instilling "discipline".

Tends to go along wth things like paying very strict attention/deference to seniority when training; speaking only when spoken to by seniors; always referring to the instructor by his title and not his name, e.g. "Shidoshi doesn't want us to. . ."; not letting their students mix with those of other dojo because "Only Shidoshi understands Budo, and he doesn't want his students to be confused or corrupted by inferior teachers"; and so on.

Fair gives me the shudders, it does.

I totally agree with Dale here, i tell all my instructors to train and talk with whoever they want, i know very little so getting info from others is vital and i encourage it.

Latest Discussions