The rant thread

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I can point to people in Texas to show you folks that say they don't need to learn anymore from Japan to teach their Japanese art and you don't need to do anything but go to train with them.

Don,

Quit makin fun of the round guy, hes not around to defend himself anymore.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I think it's common sense. The best instructors for a Japanese system are likely to be in Japan, similarly with Krav Maga (Israel), Sambo (former Soviet Union), and BJJ (Brazil).

Yes it really is just common sence! That does not mean that there are not simply fantastic instructors throughout the rest of the world but that the best are probably going to be where the headmaster of the system is from.

In the case of Budo Taijutsu there is a very easy answer to that : Japan!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having said that there are some great instructor's right here in the States that I would like to train with! Dale Seago, Luke Molitar, Dick Severance just to name a few and our very own MartialTalk expert Jeff Velton!
icon10.gif
Budo Taijutsu is blessed with tons of great instructors in the States here and I would be remiss if I did not say that I am fortunate to be able to train with Shidoshi Bart Uguccioni whenever I get down to the Dexter Bujinkan Dojo or he comes up here to Alma.
icon14.gif

Brian R. VanCise

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Yes it really is just common sence! That does not mean that there are not simply fantastic instructors throughout the rest of the world but that the best are probably going to be where the headmaster of the system is from.

In the case of Budo Taijutsu there is a very easy answer to that : Japan!

That is a good point. I have travelled outside of Japan to train with guys with a lot of street experience. I have trained in knife under guys that have killed with them. It is kind of rare to find that kind of experience in Japan.

But if what you are doing is called Bujinkan, or even ninjutsu, it seems to me that the best experts in that particular subject are still in Japan. They have been doing the art since before most of us were born. They understand the ancient texts better than we do and have more experience than any of us with the history and culture.

So if you want to get good at the subject of ninjutsu, you need a link to them or go to them yourself. I have had troubles with people that have decided that they can start their own ninjutsu systems without even once going to see these experts and learn all they can from them.

Hey, if I want to do something, I am going to do the best I can at it. If I want to start my own system with a specific name, I am going to learn all I can about it before I use that name. So it amazes me when I see these folks declare themselves soke without even bothering to challenge themselves to go see and train with the best. There are guys like Noguchi who have been training with Hatsumi for about 50 years and still come to training. How on earth can I respect some guy with only a few years or less of experience that thinks he can head his own style of ninjutsu?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
So if you want to get good at the subject of ninjutsu, you need a link to them or go to them yourself. I have had troubles with people that have decided that they can start their own ninjutsu systems without even once going to see these experts and learn all they can from them.

Hey, if I want to do something, I am going to do the best I can at it. If I want to start my own system with a specific name, I am going to learn all I can about it before I use that name. So it amazes me when I see these folks declare themselves soke without even bothering to challenge themselves to go see and train with the best. There are guys like Noguchi who have been training with Hatsumi for about 50 years and still come to training. How on earth can I respect some guy with only a few years or less of experience that thinks he can head his own style of ninjutsu?

I am with you completely Don!

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
and our very own MartialTalk expert Jeff Velton!
Let me just correct this. First, it's Velten. Second, I'm far, far, down the pecking order. There's a few judan that I think hit like little girls, but there's plenty of good instructors in the US before you get to me... :p

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Let me just correct this. First, it's Velten. Second, I'm far, far, down the pecking order. There's a few judan that I think hit like little girls, but there's plenty of good instructors in the US before you get to me... :p

Sorry Jeff about the last name. It seem's that your name like mine probably get's butchered alot!
icon10.gif
As to the pecking order well from all acounts you are quite good at Budo Taijutsu! (at least that is what a little birdie said)

Brian R. VanCise

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
As to the pecking order well from all acounts you are quite good at Budo Taijutsu! (at least that is what a little birdie said)
I have an open expense account with the birdie union to spread the word of my martial awesomeness... :p

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I have an open expense account with the birdie union to spread the word of my martial awesomeness... :p

And he is not afraid to demonstrate "throwing the rock" on me. ;)

I wonder if the little birdie union accepts payment in grain or insects, or some other form of payment. :)

Seriously, I did enjoy working out with Jeff at the Martial Talk Meet & Greet Last year. We had fun together. :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Seriously, I did enjoy working out with Jeff at the Martial Talk Meet & Greet Last year. We had fun together. :D
I think the others working near us were concerned about getting crushed, though. Kind of like the Tokyo civilians in a Godzilla movie... :lol:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I think the others working near us were concerned about getting crushed, though. Kind of like the Tokyo civilians in a Godzilla movie... :lol:

:lol: Those Punny Mortals ;) We could have fallen on them or rolled over on them not not worried at all for ourselves. MWUHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA (* Cough Sputter Cough *)

Back to our normal Rants. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
:uhoh: *checks to see if tickets are transferrable*

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that maybe threads like this have served some purpose.

Today after class I went to grab the vacum cleaner to help clean. Someone stepped up to me and said, "You did a lot for us for translating. Let us do the cleaning."

I really don't mind pushing a vacum around the room. But it is damn nice to realize someone notices and appreciates what little I do.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Don,

It is good to see that your translating skills are being appreciated!

I know for one that I really appreciate everyone that translates in
person and also on the DVD and video's that Soke makes. Not to
forget those individuals that translate the books to english. Writing
books myself I really appreciate the work that they do translating it
from Kanji to English. (that has to be very hard)

Brian R. VanCise

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I think that maybe threads like this have served some purpose.

Today after class I went to grab the vacum cleaner to help clean. Someone stepped up to me and said, "You did a lot for us for translating. Let us do the cleaning."

I really don't mind pushing a vacum around the room. But it is damn nice to realize someone notices and appreciates what little I do.

Don,

Side Rant here: I find it funny how when some get to certain ranks or years of training they no longer wish or offer or are willing to help clean up or set up for training.

I agree it is nice when people appreciate the little things one does.

:asian:

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Side Rant here: I find it funny how when some get to certain ranks or years of training they no longer wish or offer or are willing to help clean up or set up for training.

Personally, I think it is a side effect of them thinking that they are the teacher no matter where they go. I had a situation a few weeks ago where someone asked me if I minded if they could point something out to me. I knew this guy and what he was thinking of pointing out to me. It was a case of him doing something that I do not do due to my training and experience. Plus he was one of those guys that had to be the expert in everything. I looked him straight in the eye and coldly said, "no you may not!" He grins like it is a joke and tries to position my hands.

He survived the experience- barely. There was a few people who turned to look at the exchange I think and I never saw him the next day or since.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Personally, I think it is a side effect of them thinking that they are the teacher no matter where they go. I had a situation a few weeks ago where someone asked me if I minded if they could point something out to me. I knew this guy and what he was thinking of pointing out to me. It was a case of him doing something that I do not do due to my training and experience. Plus he was one of those guys that had to be the expert in everything. I looked him straight in the eye and coldly said, "no you may not!" He grins like it is a joke and tries to position my hands.

He survived the experience- barely. There was a few people who turned to look at the exchange I think and I never saw him the next day or since.

NICE ! :D I like this approach :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
NICE ! :D I like this approach :)

I dunno, I think I would have started yelling "I need an adult!"

or maybe

"Thats MY purse" and kicked him between the legs.

:D

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I dunno, I think I would have started yelling "I need an adult!"

or maybe

"Thats MY purse" and kicked him between the legs.

:D

I got better results with the way I did things. He was obvioulsy extremly frightened of me and tried to explain that he thought I was joking. Maybe he really was stupid enough to think that. But I suspect that is that is the case, his desire to appear to be an expert helped blind him to the truth.

I really dislike people that always have to showing you things not to help you, but to establish that they know more than you. Especially since so damn few of them are half as good as they would like you to think.

Latest Discussions