The point of testing students

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The grade is just a marker along the way. The testing shouldn't be a big deal if you're making progress - just more of the stuff you do in classes, but being checked for specific problems you might need to work on (very much like what your instructor does in classes). If you don't like tests, move to a style that doesn't use them. You'll still be checked for specific problems you might need to work on, and evaluated from time to time to see if you're ready for some sort of next level of information and training.
no, I'm just declining to take them, I'm aware of my progress or lack of it, the test has no value to me

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The grade is just a marker along the way. The testing shouldn't be a big deal if you're making progress - just more of the stuff you do in classes, but being checked for specific problems you might need to work on (very much like what your instructor does in classes). If you don't like tests, move to a style that doesn't use them. You'll still be checked for specific problems you might need to work on, and evaluated from time to time to see if you're ready for some sort of next level of information and training.
no, I'm just,declining to take them, I'm aware of my progress

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think Danny's point is that Sifu's decision is not that much different from a BJJ instructor deciding it's time to award a blue belt, or my decision that it's time to test a student on the first set, so I can move them to the second.
It is less formal, there is no belt and no rank. It's just, "ok, come here, let me show you something..." like any other training day.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So when your sifu sees that a student is ready to learn more material he teaches the student that material and there is no need for rank.
Yup. It's an ongoing process. we just show up and train and some days Sifu teaches something new, and other days he does not. Nothing mysterious about it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that decision is base on the student being ready.
As my Sifu has impressed upon me "Give them what they need when they are ready for it. Let them see some of what they want but only give them what they need until they are ready for more."
Yes. And? I don't understand what is revolutionary about any of this...

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my Karate class you have to be ready to test before you get promoted if your not ready to test you wil not get promoted until your ready you cant just test right away and not knowing your stuff you will look foolish infront of the judges in my class we have a term called green light green light is the term when your ready to test you have all your requirement ready and get ready to test for example when the Sifu said Mike i gave you the green light it means its the sign that you are going to test In My school you will get 2 tips also 1 for the sets and form and the other is for the basic and technique when you have the 2 tip your ready to test. if your in the advance class and you are green to black belt you havve either june or december to test the Sifu will always say your ready to test in june or he might say to the other student your ready to test on december but ypu have to past the pre test before you do the real test and its hard not easy

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not , not bothering to lean and improve my ma, i am not bothering to perform like a circus seal in order to get a grade that means nothing at all to me.

Do you only bother to do part of what is needed to be a martial artist?

Do you think people who compete are better at their martial arts?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup. It's an ongoing process. we just show up and train and some days Sifu teaches something new, and other days he does not. Nothing mysterious about it.
I see. Well obviously that system works where you train. Right now I am doing Goju Ryu. Certain material you don't learn until you advance in rank. Right after I was promoted from white to yellow I was taught some new techniques and some new forms which I was not taught as a white belt. I had just passed the yellow belt test although I was still wearing a physical white belt when I was taught new stuff since my instructor had not yet picked up my new yellow belt.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you only bother to do part of what is needed to be a martial artist?

Do you think people who compete are better at their martial arts?
i don't consider my self a martial artist, it not really an English expression, I'm certainly not good enough to consider myself an artist, I'm a middle aged bloke learning karate. I'm as good as i am and will be as good as i can be. Having,a grades test will not make me better, much less better sooner.

the lower belts use a kata demonstration as the test, I'm not good at dancing , i refuse to take kata seriously as a test of my karate ability. There are people of a higher grade who i can knock over with ease, their grades haven't made them better than i am. They spend Time. Learning kata, i spend time getting fitter and,stronger and faster.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can also see that others value an award system as belts/rank with testing to a standard.
Sure. But I was getting the impression some folks were trying to equate the fact that sifu decided when it is time to teach something new, with a test and a promotion.

It is most definitely not the same thing.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure. But I was getting the impression some folks were trying to equate the fact that sifu decided when it is time to teach something new, with a test and a promotion.

It is most definitely not the same thing.
In some schools and some organizations it is and so that is the only way they know how to relate it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In some schools and some organizations it is and so that is the only way they know how to relate it.
I think that would be an extreme, tho. That implies that every new technique and idea brings with it a test and promotion. I'm sure every school has some body of curriculum that is taught between promotions. Ours is the same, just remove the tests and promotions altogether.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that would be an extreme, tho. That implies that every new technique and idea brings with it a test and promotion. I'm sure every school has some body of curriculum that is taught between promotions. Ours is the same, just remove the tests and promotions altogether.
I am talking about the curriculum.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i don't consider my self a martial artist, it not really an English expression, I'm certainly not good enough to consider myself an artist, I'm a middle aged bloke learning karate. I'm as good as i am and will be as good as i can be. Having,a grades test will not make me better, much less better sooner.

the lower belts use a kata demonstration as the test, I'm not good at dancing , i refuse to take kata seriously as a test of my karate ability. There are people of a higher grade who i can knock over with ease, their grades haven't made them better than i am. They spend Time. Learning kata, i spend time getting fitter and,stronger and faster.

You are not in competition with them. You are in competition with you.

I am a small fish in a big pond so my opinion on training progression is different.

I am not knocking guys over who are more goal oriented than me.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are not in competition with them. You are in competition with you.

I am a small fish in a big pond so my opinion on training progression is different.

I am not knocking guys over who are more goal oriented than me.
but its fighting. You are by defintion in competition with someone

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
but its fighting. You are by defintion in competition with someone
One of the differences in being a martial artist and something else...fighting.
There is far more to being a martial artist than being a fighter though we use fighting methodologies. Many are in the martial arts for fighting, many are not. Many are not in competition with anyone other than themselves. Hard for some to understand but there you go.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the differences in being a martial artist and something else...fighting.
There is far more to being a martial artist than being a fighter though we use fighting methodologies. Many are in the martial arts for fighting, many are not. Many are not in competition with anyone other than themselves. Hard for some to understand but there you go.
but no matter how you dress it up,, if you are good at MARTIAL arts you are good at fighting. If your not good at fighting your not good at martial arts, to pretend otherwise is fantasy,