Single leg hopping

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today when I hiked on the trail, my left foot got caught by a tree root, my right leg made a hopping, I then regain my balance back. Without that "hopping", I could fall.

Do you train "single leg hopping"? It's pretty useful training IMO.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, usually around the room on right leg, then switch to the left leg.

Make sure you and your students are warmed up though, it's easy to hurt your ankle and knee if you are not warmed up.

Practice at your own risk.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Double Post

Off Topic - but worth a reply, I just created a music thread and it created it 4 times.

I thought maybe its my browser as I'm using Firefox that is playing up.

Its been going really slow but now seems its not just me, maybe the Forum software is having issues now.

I have reported it to Mods/Admin so hopefully they can delete these double posts.

For me it started yesterday it got really laggy today...... I feel a patch coming soon loL

Back on topic...........................

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Practice standing on one leg. Do forms on one leg. Punching the wall bags on one leg. Don't just hop on one leg.
But we work on a partner catching a kick and you working on not getting taken down from the catch. And we do wrestling drills like 'riding the pipe' where we start standing on one leg with a partner holding the other and on 'go' they attempt to take you down and you work to not get taken down.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Practice standing on one leg. Do forms on one leg. Punching the wall bags on one leg. Don't just hop on one leg.
But we work on a partner catching a kick and you working on not getting taken down from the catch. And we do wrestling drills like 'riding the pipe' where we start standing on one leg with a partner holding the other and on 'go' they attempt to take you down and you work to not get taken down.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But we work on a partner catching a kick and you working on not getting taken down from the catch.
That's another good reason to train "hopping".

In Chinese wrestling, The "hopping" can be trained as in the following clips.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today when I hiked on the trail, my left foot got caught by a tree root, my right leg made a hopping, I then regain my balance back. Without that "hopping", I could fall.

Nope, never did. The hops in your video seem awfully short. Normally if I trip, I expect to get the caught foot up to catch myself. Having done that all my life, I would worry about trying to train myself to something different.

That said, I see nothing wrong with that.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Make sure you and your students are warmed up though, it's easy to hurt your ankle and knee if you are not warmed up.

I guess I am just different. I have never needed a warm up just to exercise. If I am going to run, I run; no warm up needed. I have never had a problem from that. I did notice that it took me longer to get the height I wanted over my head on kicks, if I didn't stretch first, but I could still kick high (not much anymore: age). Is that what you are referring to? And again, I am willing to again admit, I am different. :eek: :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I guess I am just different. I have never needed a warm up just to exercise. If I am going to run, I run; no warm up needed. I have never had a problem from that. I did notice that it took me longer to get the height I wanted over my head on kicks, if I didn't stretch first, but I could still kick high (not much anymore: age). Is that what you are referring to? And again, I am willing to again admit, I am different. :eek: :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Off Topic - but worth a reply, I just created a music thread and it created it 4 times.

I thought maybe its my browser as I'm using Firefox that is playing up.

Its been going really slow but now seems its not just me, maybe the Forum software is having issues now.

I have reported it to Mods/Admin so hopefully they can delete these double posts.

For me it started yesterday it got really laggy today...... I feel a patch coming soon loL

Back on topic...........................

I found that I had something moving at the top right of the screen, but no indication what I had written was posted. Even when I clicked "post reply" a second time. But if I refreshed the screen, the post was there. ???????

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I found that I had something moving at the top right of the screen, but no indication what I had written was posted. Even when I clicked "post reply" a second time. But if I refreshed the screen, the post was there. ???????

Yeah, I saw that and waited for ages then canceled then refreshed back to post as it holds the text then try again to save................ so on.

Each time I did this was actually posting a new reply LoL

Its really laggy kinda frustrating as you just want to reply and get up and go and wee........... LoL :sorry:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's another good reason to train "hopping".

In Chinese wrestling, The "hopping" can be trained as in the following clips.
Ok.
The time we would spend just hopping is spent in the method I described above. We get more form time, punching drill time, and actual takedown prevention time withing the time frame spent just hopping.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't train single leg hopping. We may have done it once or twice in class as a warm up but it's not something we train. I use other stance and footwork training that's a little more suitable for the movements in Jow Ga Kung Fu.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok.
The time we would spend just hopping is spent in the method I described above. We get more form time, punching drill time, and actual takedown prevention time withing the time frame spent just hopping.
Both

- in class "skill development" and "skill testing", and
- at home "skill enhancement",

are needed.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Normally if I trip, I expect to get the caught foot up to catch myself.
Not sure I can understand what you are saying here. If your left foot get caught by the rock, while your body is still moving forward, how will you be able to "get the caught foot up"?

When you land your right foot, you find out that you can't move your left foot, you hop with your right leg, give you extra time for you to "get the caught foot up".

foot_caught_by_rock.jpg

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't train single leg hopping. We may have done it once or twice in class as a warm up but it's not something we train. I use other stance and footwork training that's a little more suitable for the movements in Jow Ga Kung Fu.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok.
but that's the on going trade off between time spent improving your physical conditioning and time spent on skill motor pattern work, I've commented before that for many it seems the balance is tipped to far in favour of skill and no where near enough conditioning and,strengh work.

think of hopping as one legged jumping and it makes more sense, most real world jumps are one legged take a run at it jumps, , even jumping in the,air and kicking is a hop/ one legged jump.

the major advantage of hopping is how it works the calf muscle, a much neglected muscle group that can only really be worked hard by hopping, two footed jumping is very quad dependent to get momentum that takes the load of the calf some what.

there is no need to neglect you lesson over it. Try hopping up the stairs every time you go for a pee, that will have you calf in fine,shape in no time

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
but that's the on going trade off between time spent improving your physical conditioning and time spent on skill motor pattern work, I've commented before that for many it seems the balance is tipped to far in favour of skill and no where near enough conditioning and,strengh work.

think of hopping as one legged jumping and it makes more sense, most real world jumps are one legged take a run at it jumps, , even jumping in the,air and kicking is a hop/ one legged jump.

the major advantage of hopping is how it works the calf muscle, a much neglected muscle group that can only really be worked hard by hopping, two footed jumping is very quad dependent to get momentum that takes the load of the calf some what.

there is no need to neglect you lesson over it. Try hopping up the stairs every time you go for a pee, that will have you calf in fine,shape in no time
Not discounting it. Many of us skip rope for 30 minutes a day (skipping rope works more than the calves and ankles), do one leg & 2 leg explosion drills, on top of the other things I've stated. Is it something to do from time to time sure, ok, I get and drill my guys a lot on leg exercises as it is and most are multi aspect drills. That work skill as well as strength and flexibility.
For someone who doesn't do any other type exercises it is great.

If I had stairs in my home or office maybe I would do some extra stair hopping.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
a million years ago when i dif jow ga, the instructor was very big on hopping, he said it helped the jump kick amongst other things, he would have us hopping round and round the gym, then he would have me do it,again with a,250 lb guy on my back, that was just me who got to carry him, everyone else got,someone their own weight or less, i don't think he liked me for some reason, but by god i had strong legs

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In wrestling, when you use your right leg to attack your opponent's left leg, if your opponent raises his left leg up, before he drops it back down, if you can hop, and use your right leg to attack his right leg, he will be down. Sometime you don't have the luxury to drop your leg back down.

One of my junior high school teacher died this year by falling down. IMO, single leg hopping ability can prevent you from those disaster during your old age.

I like to use my leg to sweep my other leg behind the ankle and force my rooting leg to slide on the ground. I believe this training can also enhance the "dynamic rooting".

Last edited: