The Main Feature/Purpose of Each Form?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone asked you the main feature or purpose of each form, what would your answer be? Here's mine:

SIL LUM TAO: rooting
CHUM KIU: body unity
BIU JEE: recovering the centerline
MOOK JONG: proper release of energy (meaning when your blow rocks the dummy, it doesn't rock you back!)
POLE:
KNIVES:

Having only observed the weapons but not trained in them myself, I'm not sure I can decide on what I would say for those forms. So I was wondering: what would some of you fine people say?

Public Service Announcement: By sharing this thread, I am not asking anyone to agree or disagree with me. I'm not saying I am the Wing Chun Guru with the last word. I am saying, "This is how I see things, and I am curious to know how others see it." :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can see the value of picking a theme and exploring it, but reducing each form to a "keyword" doesn't really work for me. Siu Nim Tau does train rooting, but just standing in YGKYM does that. There is really much more there. Same for Chum Kiu, Biu Tze, the Dummy and the weapons.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see it as much more complex than this. SLT alone can be used to:

Train rooting, relaxation, centerline, introduce most of the hands, develop strength and flexibility, forward intent, elbow energy, and a number of other things.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of the above is true, but the point of the exercise was to see what would be said if you HAD to pick only one. Everyone has a different focus. Therefore, I wondered what the focus of any potential responders would be.

Now granted, over time the focus can change. For example, if I focused on rooting now (which I am), but then one day get to a point where I feel I am pretty good at it, then my focus will change to something else that would need work.

Parky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
SNT = Placing Center in the arms, internally.
CK = Using the Center to turn and move the Body.
BJ = Spinning the Center, with speed, out to the fingertips, Fa-Jing.
MYJ = Training the Center without a partner.
Pole = Placing the Center out to tip of Pole.
BJD = Using the Center to power a weapon in each hand.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
SNT = Learning about your body and mental intent
CK = Learning to use your body in motion.
BJ = What to do when it all goes wrong; how to regain the center and maintain control. Unique situations
MYJ = Fine tuning movement, position, and force vectors.
Pole = Wing Chun weight training, reinforcement of structure vs muscular strength (using the body to support the pressure and force not the muscles in the arms)
BJD = Applying the fundamentals and learning to adapt with something in the hands which changes the focus of range, timing, and center of gravity as well as edged technology.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think they will mean different things to different people. To me:

SLT: basic techniques, breathing, and structure
CK: hip power, moving structure and keeping balance
BJ: more advanced techniques to recover centre line, short power and whipping power
MYJ: further development of rooting and power as well as conditioning
LDBG: long range power generation, strength, long weapon fighting techniques
BJD: advanced footwork, warrior spirit, extra Jian Dai Lik, learning to use short weapons

There's a lot more but that's as short as I could keep it.

Latest Discussions