Interview with Phil Redmond

Parky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of TWC, or William Cheung. I'm not saying I think it's crap, or otherwise. Just not MY cup of tea. But I think Phil Redmond is a class act. I used to lurk some of the forums years ago. I always appreciated his comments and perspective on WC, whether or not I agreed with them. And I suspect he can defend himself quite well. Much respect to Master Redmond!

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of TWC, or William Cheung. I'm not saying I think it's crap, or otherwise. Just not MY cup of tea. But I think Phil Redmond is a class act. I used to lurk some of the forums years ago. I always appreciated his comments and perspective on WC, whether or not I agreed with them. And I suspect he can defend himself quite well. Much respect to Master Redmond!

I agree, Phil is a class act indeed. I enjoy his insight and he has actual fighting experience to back it up.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Phil is an exemplary practitioner and instructor.

Agreed. If I remember right it was Sifu Phil who took one of my Sifu's, Sifu Jerry, to the MUSU competition as well as taught him some things, along with Sifu Mazza. I can't speak for other lineages but one of the things I like about TWC is how the various Masters get along. Of course you have personality conflicts but the "that is MY student!!!" dynamic seems less common than other Arts I have studied, your mileage may vary though.

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak for other lineages but one of the things I like about TWC is how the various Masters get along.

Well ... most of the subordinate masters may get along with each other and that's great, but ...

over the 27 years I've done TWC and the 40 odd years I've know or trained with some of William Cheung's students, I've seen the Grandmaster go through acrimonious splits with four quite senior people I've known personally, two of whom were my instructors, one of whom was his most senior student and first red sash at the time of the split. And those four aren't the full list by any stretch.

your mileage may vary though

Understatement of the century so far from where I sit.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions