The Kitchen

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a recipe I got from my dad this weekend. The kids liked it and I think the next batch I'll fine tune it a bit more for my taste.

BBQ Hotdogs

2 packs hotdogs
1/2 cup onions (finely chopped)
1 tsp butter
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
6 tsp worchestershire sauce
2 tbsp vinegar

Saute onions in butter til clear add all other ingredients to bowl and mix well. Line a casserole dish with the hotdogs and pour mixture over hotdogs. Bake, covered, at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

This has a very light bite to it. If you prefer a hotter recipe add tabasco (1/2 tsp) or red pepper. I prefer the way my mom does it when she makes a batch just for me... add 1 tsp "Hell Hot" or any other hot sauce with a skull and crossbones on the label.:angry:

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bloomin' Onion and Dippin' Sauce
Recipe By : Roberta Haferkamp
Serving Size : 4
Preparation Time :0:45

1/2 cup mayonnaise -- lowfat okay
2 Tablespoons horseradish sauce
2 teaspoons catsup
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 dash black pepper
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 each egg -- beaten
1 cup milk -- lowfat okay
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1 each large Vadalia onion -- flowered

-Combine the mayonnaise, horseradish sauce, catsup, paprika, salt, oregano, and peppers in small bowl.
-Refrigerate until needed.
-Combine the egg and milk in a medium bowl.
-Combine the flour, salt, peppers, and thyme in medium bowl.
-Dip large, "flowered" Vidalia onion in wet mixture, then in dry mixture.
-Repeat.
-Refrigerate coated onion for at least 15 minutes.
-Fry in 350 degree oil for 10 minutes.

NOTES : Dip fried onion "petals" in the tangy sauce for a perfect combination.

Seig and I picked up a 'flowering onion' machine at a flea market couple weeks ago and attempted making our first blooming onion.. it was very good~! though found we should of used a smaller onion.. as it split in areas, but it was very tasty~!

This recipe looked good to me :)

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Long John Silver's Batter

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood Dressings
Fish And Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Bisquick
Pancake mix
Club soda

With wire whisk whip together equal parts Bisquick & boxed pancake mix with
club soda till it's the consistency of buttermilk. Moisten fish fillets in
water & then coat lightly but evenly in flour. Let dry on waxed paper 5
minutes. Spear pieces one at a time with tip of sharp knife & coat in
batter. Deep fry in 385F oil, about 4 minutes each side, till crispy and
browned. Do not use tongs or coating will break apart.

Club Soda.. whoda thunk it :)

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arby's Sauce

(recipes from CopyKat.com)

Ease of Cooking: Beginner
Serving Size: varies

Notes:
This is ketchup with a kick. No one does this better than Arby's. We did find that Lea & Perrins gave the best flavor for this sauce.

Ingredients:
1 C. Water
1/2 C. Catsup
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1/4 C. White Vinegar
3/4 tsp. Onion Powder
3/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Paprika
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Corn Starch Mixture (thickening mixture)
1 Tbsp. Corn Starch
2 Tbsp. Water
Mix well set aside.

Preparation:
Place all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed for 15 - 20 seconds. Pour ingredients into a small saucepan, heat on medium low. Simmer gently for twenty minutes, stirring several times. After twenty minutes add cornstarch mixture, stir well. When sauce begins to thickens let simmer on a very low temperature for ten minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Mixture will be similar in thickness to steak sauce. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. This sauce is a nice change on hamburgers or pastrami, and great dipping sauce for hot wings

1044.jpg

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cracker Barrel Store Hash Brown Casserole II

Ingredients:
1 bag frozen country style hash browns
1/2 C. (or so) onion, chopped fine
Jane's crazy mixed-up salt, to taste
1 1/2 - 2 C. Colby cheese, shredded (I love cheese-- but in this case, more is not necessarily better)
1 can cream of chicken soup

Preparation:
Cook hash browns, onions, and season to taste in a skillet. You will need to add a little butter or oil, cook until the hash browns are tender, and brown. Drain the hash browns and set aside. Then mix together cheese and cream of chicken soup in a separate bowl Add hash browns to mixture, then transfer into a buttered 2 qt. casserole dish and cook at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Fried Apples

Notes:
Source SOAR Recipe Archive

Ingredients:
6 Tart apples; sliced
1 tsp. Lemon juice
1/4 C. Bacon drippings
1/4 C. Brown sugar
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 dash of nutmeg

Preparation:
In a large skillet, melt bacon drippings. Pour apples evenly over skillet bottom. Sprinkle lemon juice over them, then brown sugar, then salt. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until apples are tender and juicy. Sprinkle with cinnamon & nutmeg.

No wonder they are so good.. *points to the bacon drippings *G*

C

Cliarlaoch

I like curry and Cajun foods, primarily... stuff like Jambalaya (my favourite comfort food... it's made up of cayenne pepper sauces, sausages, shrimp, blackened chicken strips, rice, and all sorts of good stuff), Shrimp creole, etc.

Vis-a-vis Curry... I don't know if anybody's mentioned it, but if you go to any good Indian market, or a rather good supermarket (like A&P and Lawblaws up here in Canada), you can find a brand of curry paste and sauces called Pataks. They're Indian, originally, I believe, and they are SOOOO good it's not even funny. Don't waste your time on the canned crap, or that fake "curry powder" bull. Get yourself a jar of the real curry paste. What you do then is get some natural yogurt, without any flavour to it, mix the paste and the yogurt, then marinade the meat or veggies of choice for the curry, then cook in the oven for as long as needed to make it cooked. Bingo, all-natural curry.

Or, get a jar of Pataks curry, and do the following (nice and simple for us college folks!):

You'll need:
1 Onion (per every 2-3 people... more and you'll need more, obviously!)
1 pepper (same as above, any colour)
2 chicken breasts or a platter of cubed or beef hip strips (both can be found at any cold meat section of your local grocer), and again, this assumes one or two people... any more, and you'll need more food!
OR Vegetable equivalent to a meat staple, like soy or some such, if you prefer. Tofu also works, but not for us carnivores!
Curry of choice! (Rogan Josh is a good mild curry for beef and veggies, as is Korma for chicken and veggies, while Madras and Vindaloo are the ones designed to strip wall paper... they're very good, too, but they'll give you a good kick!)
A pan or two, and a working stove (you'd be amazed how many don't work in a student house here in Kingston!)
Vegetable oil

Step one: Slice up 1 onion and 1 pepper (any colour, your choice, though I like green the best with curry!).
Step two: put a small amount (a table spoon or so) on the pan, and fry up the onion and peppers till the onion's a nice brown colour, and the pepper is cooked properly. This should be stove top.
Step three: this is done while the above is being cooked. Prep your meat or primary veggie if you prefer vegetarian curry. This involves dicing the chicken or beef or whatever into small enough chunks that you can eat the whole thing without having to use your knife.
Step four: cook the meat or vegetable until thoroughly done (this to prevent salminella from chicken, for example) on another stovetop, or with the same pan as the veggies from above if they're done. MAKE SURE TO ADD OIL, UNLESS YOU LIKE SCRAPING OFF MEAT FROM YOUR PAN!!!
Step five: when all the material's been cooked, add it all together in one pan, add the curry of choice and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. If you don't have enough curry, add a little bit of water, but not too much, or else you're going to water it down and lose the flavour!
Step six: EAT IT ALL UP!!! :)
Step seven: Say thank you to whoever made it, and lay back contentedly on the couch to watch tv!

C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by KenpoTess
Sushi.. *runs and hides.. No thanks.. I like my food 'cooked' the regular way.. *G*

salmonella and whatever other airborne bugs the lurk around~!!!

mmmmmm..... salmonella...

Sorry, folks, I love sahimi and nagiri sushi both. Gimme the raw fish, and I'll slurp it down right here and now! :p

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatcha need: 8" Springform Pan, 3 Frozen Heath Bars, 16 oz Quality Cream Cheese, 3 Extra Large Eggs, Oreo Cookie Crumbs, Melted Butter, Sugar, Small Container of Real Whipping Cream, Vanilla Ya Ready?

Make a crust using melted butter and oreo crumbs press into the bottom and half way up the sides of a 8" springform pan.

Set to the side.

Grind up frozen Heath Bars in a food processor

Blend together with a wooden spoon the cream cheese & 1 Cup Sugar, Gently add the eggs stirring them in one at a time (very important DO NOT use a mixer, you'll ruin it) once all the eggs are folded in, add 1 tablsp of vanilla extract, finally... fold in 2/3 of the frozen heath bar crumbs

Take Cheese cake filling and pour it into the crust. Dont worry if it goes over the top of the sides of the crust...it doesnt matter.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 300 degrees for one hour. Then shut off the oven and crack the door allowing the heat to escape SLOWLY for the next 1 1/2 hours

Remove from oven and refrigerate overnight

Ok So it's morning right?

Lets finish this

With a high speed mixer whip the whipping cream til high peaks form, slowly add sugar and vanilla to suit your taste.

Remove sides of the springform pan.

Spread whipping cream atop the now ready to eat cheesecake....sprinkle remaining heath toffee atop and serve.

(this recipe is compliments of a friend of mine who used to sell it for $2.50 per slice when he ran a catering business)

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
6 Serrano chilis * 2 Jalapeno's * 1 Habanero (if you're brave) * 1 lg clove garlic chopped * 4 Roma Tomatoes diced small * 2 cans Stewed Tomatoes * 1 can V8 Juice * 4 Green Onions sliced thin *1/3 cup Fresh Cilantro * Salt & Pepper * *~*~*~*~*~*~ Roughly chop 3 of the Serrano's,1 Jalapeno and the Habanero..(wear plastic gloves ,trust me on this).add this to blender * add chopped Garlic to blender * Pour 1/2 the V8 juice in Blender , blend on high speed untill all of mixture is finely minced and mixed well.....pour this mixture into a re-sealable bowl* pour 1 can of the stewed tomatoes into blender,pulse until chopped ,pour into bowl * add last can of stewed Tomatoes to blender...pulse lightly...leaving larger chunks in tomatoes...add this to bowl * chop all the Roma Tomatoes...salt them lightly.......then add to bowl * chop remaining Serranos and Jabanero into small dice and add to bowl * add chopped Cilantro * slice Green Onion in small slices , add to bowl * add salt and pepper small amounts at a time and mix well......taste until you have salt right, best if served cold...store in :eek:)refridgerator.......lasts up to 3 days...great on Taco's....Burritos..quesadillas...with chips...on chili....on fish....eggs....steak...great with 2 diced avocados and 1 cup of tiny cooked shrimp added to it . :D

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ingredients

* 2 lb top sirloin (or ground beef if you insist) * 2 tblsp corn oil * 4 medium chopped white onions * 1 tblsp minced garlic * 4 10-oz cans Hot Chili Beans (optional) * 3 tblsp chili powder * 1 tblsp ground black pepper * 1 tblsp crushed cayenne pepper * 1 can Tomato juice (not sauce) * 8-qt pot

Cut sirloin into cubes 3/8-inch on a side. Add oil to pan, add heat under pan, add sirloin to oil. Stir. When meat is semi (sorta) browned or grey, add onions.

You'll get lots of moisture for a while, then as the onions go translucent, the moisture will reduce. Add chili powder, garlic and black pepper. Stir until well mixed.

Cook in pan, constantly stirring, until moisture has reduced to maybe a half a cup puddle in the pan.

Add beans to the pot. If you're a chili purist, skip the beans and double the meat. Add the crushed pepper and tomato juice. Stir, but do not taste.

Cover the pot, simmer on low for an hour and a half. Turn off the heat, and let it sit for an hour with the cover on. (this is important as the meat absorbs the spices) With your palette appropriately cleared and sharpened, taste the chili. Don't inhale with the spoonful of chili near your open mouth. Take another spoonful. Adjust seasoning until chewing, swallowing, and inhaling partially paralyzes the trachea at the bronchial juncture. (this determines how hot you like it ;)

Serve with minced onion, jalapeno, cheese, sour cream, crackers, cornbread, corn chips or however you like it best

This is from a friend in Minnesota.. She swears it's the best :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
'Fried' Green Tomatoes

Recipe By : Low-Fat & Fast Meatless Recipes
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Low-Fat Tomatoes

Can this be done with red tomatoes also?

- Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to eat these when I was a kid traveling on vacation, but haven't seen them since. I believe it is a Texas recipe (or possibily Lousiana).

Anyway, there were sliced gherkins of different types dipped in a variety of batter and then fried in hot oil. Served by the dozen on large paper plates accompanied with sundry sauces.

I liked the sweet gherkins the best made with a type of batter (the batter reminds me vaguely of the type now seen in French or Japanese restaurants).

I'm trying to recreate some childhood memories... If you now of a recipe for that, please share!

Thanks,

Looking through yesterday's window....

- Ceicei

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Ceicei :)

I did a search on frying Gherkin Pickles on google heheee and this is what I got..

Did you mean: Flying Gherkin pickles

Gave me a good giggle this morning~!!

All I'm finding is recipes for Frying Dill pickles but I think you could fiddle with the herbs and spices in a dill recipe to meld with the sweetness of a gherkin.. or for that matter I would try a tempura batter if it's reminiscent of an asian type batter..
I'll keep my eyes open for you~!!

And no the Ripe tomatoes just don't hold up like the Green maters :(

C

Chuck

Gazpacho

6 Tomatoes
1-1/2 cups tomato juice or V8
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil or cooking oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
1-teaspoon salt
1/8-teaspoon pepper
Few drops bottled pepper sauce
Croutons or toasted bread cubes

Plunge tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds to loosen skins, then immerse in cold water. Slip skins off; coarsely chop tomatoes.
In a large mixing bowl combine the chopped tomatoes, tomato juice, chopped cucumber, onion, green pepper, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Chill. If desired, add an ice cube to each serving. Top with croutons. Makes 6 servings.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JELLO SHOOTERS

3 oz. Jello, any flavor
1 c. boiling water
1 c. whiskey or 1/2 c. whiskey and 1/2 c. liqueur

Add water to dissolve Jello. Add last whiskey. Pour in individual serving cups (1 ounce). Put in refrigerate to set.

SUGGESTIONS:

Cherry Jello with 1/2 c. vodka and 1/2 cup cinnamon schnapps.

Orange Jello with 1 c. rum.

Lime Jello with 1 cup tequila.

Orange Jello with 1/4 c. peach schnapps, 1/4 cup 43 liqueur, and 1/2 cup vodka.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those jello-shooters will sneak up on you really quickly!

Here's what I made the family for dinner last night:

1 large roast
1 can golden mushroom soup
1 can french onion soup
1 package baby carrots
10-12 small red potatoes (quartered)

Place all of it in a crock pot for the day (6 or 7 hours). The meat just fell apart. Serve with green beans and corn or any other veggie that suits your mood.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sex in a Pan

2 c. flour
2 sticks butter
1/2 c. pecans

Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool.

1 c. powdered sugar
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 c. Cool Whip

Spread over crust.

2 boxes instant vanilla pudding
3 c. milk

Beat 1 minute spread over second layer.

Spread 2 1/2 c. Cool Whip over third layer.

Shred Hershey's chocolate bar and sprinkle over top.

Best when chilled!!!