The Kitchen

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This one has absolutely no purpose other than getting enough sugar in your system to knock a horse out.....

Eclair cake:

2 large boxes instant vanilla pudding
1 large container whipped cream
2 box graham crackers
1 container of chocolate icing

Mix pudding as directed on the box. Put pudding in the fridge until it is firm. Fold whipped cream into pudding.
Line a dish with crackers, cover crackers with layer of pudding about 1 in. thick. Add another layer of crackers then another layer of the pudding, repeat until all the pudding has been used and top with a final layer of graham crackers. Put icing in microwave for about 20 seconds to soften it and cover the top layer of graham crackers with it. Put the entire thing in the fridge to chill.

You can add banana slices to the pudding if you want and can substitute another flavor of pudding or icing if vanilla and chocolate isn't your thing.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Letch.. oh that sounds decadent~!!!

It's best after sitting in the fridge all night. For those of you who are diabetic all the ingredients can be found with artificial sweetener.

M

Michelle

Balut. <--- they tell me its good but I just can't seem to make myself try it. Anyone here had it?

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michelle
Balut. <--- they tell me its good but I just can't seem to make myself try it. Anyone here had it?

Hi Michelle.. welcome to the Board :)

Balut eh.. no I don't think I'll be trying it after reading this article.. ~!!

Balut
By Jan Gundlach

The wayward nature of the itik (native Filipino duck) must be the reason for an unusual Filipino delicacy - balut - a fertilised egg with a partially developed duckling, which is eaten boiled. Balut is a very nutritious snack food, which most Filipinos appreciate. However, non-Filipinos generally take a bit of convincing before taking their first bite.

The itik is a poor mother. She does not sit on her eggs to warm them up till the time they are hatched. Hence, the eggs have to be incubated by man, which in the Philippines has been traditionally done in a home-scale hatchery called a balutan.

Only the strong-shelled and apparently fertile eggs are selected for balut-making. These are detected by "candling" and also by snapping the shell hard enough with the fingers to cause breakage of the thin shells.

The selected eggs are first incubated between bags of toasted palay (whole rice grains with husk) or ipa (rice husk) to stimulate the body temperature of the mother duck (42œC). The set-up is then layered with sako (burlap bags) to serve as insulators. Complete development or hatching takes place within 28 days of incubation. After six days the eggs are tested and those discovered to be infertile are itlog na maalat (salt-cured) or sold as sariwa (fresh). Those which are fertile but have failed to develop at normal speed are detected and separated on the 14th day of incubation. They are boiled and sold as penoy. Their appearance is similar to a hard-cooked duck egg. Eco, those containing dead embryos, are spoiled and have no market value.

The balut are those incubated up to the 18th day and which contain a healthy living embryo. Like penoy, they are boiled and eaten as a snack food. In fact, these two are sold together just as one is given a choice of coffee or tea. Filipinos are used to the calls of young street vendors peddling their wares: "Balut . . . penoy!"

The methods described above are the traditional cottage-level methods of balut-making, which are still prevalent today. At various times, suggestions have been made to mechanise the process using an incubator similar to the ones used in chicken egg hatcheries. Such a system would be more efficient; temperature control is more accurate and it would eliminate the cumbersome procedure of heating the ipa or palay. However, country folk still have to be assured of its commercial feasibility.

Balut and penoy are traditionally considered aphrodisiacs. While it is true that they have high nutrient values, (containing proteins, vitamin E and minerals and provide a source of energy) there is no hard evidence to prove this. Aphrodisiacs or not, balut and penoy are enjoyed by millions of Filipinos.

For the non-Filipino, an adventurous spirit, a desire to explore the unknown and the ability to be open-minded are essential to the enjoyment of balut. A combination of saltiness and tartness, softness and crunchiness, a sensation of sweetness, the degree of resistance to the bite, the viscosity and stickiness are the rewards.

Today, the humble balut has been slicked over, enveloped in puff pastry, oven-baked, perfumed with various spices and undergone so many transformations that it is a minor miracle that the poor thing still manages to remember that it really is nothing more than a duck&#65533;s egg. Any self-respecting balut will tell you that it is best served and eaten plain. Here&#65533;s how:

1.Take a freshly boiled balut in one hand. 2.Make sure you have the "flat" bottom of the balut facing you and tap it lightly on any hard surface until you see hairline crack form on its surface. 3.Remove bits of shell until you have a cavity the size of a penny. 4.Inside the cavity you will find a paper-thin film of white tissue. Remove this. 5.Drop in a pinch of rock salt, place the opening to your lips, tip your head back and slurp up the broth. Delicious. 6.Widen the cavity by removing more bits of shell until you have enough exposed to be able to bite off a sizeable chunk of the balut. Don&#65533;t forget to sprinkle more rock salt. 7.Go on eating until you get to the bato (rock) or the hard white portion. Discard. 8.When you get to the bottom, there will be a little more broth left over. Drop in a minute pinch of salt and drink up.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of balut before. I've got a strong stomach, cast iron almost, but I just don't think I could keep that down.

M

Michelle

Hiya Tess! Thanks for the welcome. I'm with you guys... don't think I could keep it down. Maybe if we didn't know what it was before we tried it?? That and raw quail eggs at the sushi bar... seems like a salmonella bomb waiting to happen. :D

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michelle
Hiya Tess! Thanks for the welcome. I'm with you guys... don't think I could keep it down. Maybe if we didn't know what it was before we tried it?? That and raw quail eggs at the sushi bar... seems like a salmonella bomb waiting to happen. :D

Sushi.. *runs and hides.. No thanks.. I like my food 'cooked' the regular way.. *G*

salmonella and whatever other airborne bugs the lurk around~!!!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Balut eh.. no I don't think I'll be trying it after reading this article.. ~!!

Balut
By Jan Gundlach

The wayward nature of the itik (native Filipino duck) must be the reason for an unusual Filipino delicacy - balut - a fertilised egg with a partially developed duckling, which is eaten boiled.

Personally I have never heard of it until now. Also I can tell you that I will never eat such a thing.:barf:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sushi.. *runs and hides.. No thanks.. I like my food 'cooked' the regular way..

Agreed; now where are those frog legs?:D

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Agreed; now where are those frog legs?:D

*G* Seig, Chronuss, TheRustyOne,Kathie, and maybe a couple others and myself are going to journey up to Hagerstown tomorrow and check out a Chinese buffet. If it passes our test, we'll probably go to that one after the seminar as it's alot closer to here.. If they have frog legs.. you can be sure Chad will be rating them for you~!!!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*G* Seig, Chronuss, TheRustyOne,Kathie, and maybe a couple others and myself are going to journey up to Hagerstown tomorrow and check out a Chinese buffet. If it passes our test, we'll probably go to that one after the seminar as it's alot closer to here.. If they have frog legs.. you can be sure Chad will be rating them for you~!!!

Be sure to post the review.:D

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Cool:D

:(

That's just plain gross.:eek:

we shan't be indulging in any WV Roadkill I have you know. .though the other day we stopped by this Farmers market and I swear to God there was a bag of WV Roadkill breading mix for sale~!!!!
:eek:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*quirks a brow* with a curled lip* narrowing eyes*
Hey, he coulda asked for a side of okra to go with the possum... and we all know how you "love" okra.;)

Don't worry 'bout the possum though. It's getting close on to deer season and soon you'll be up to your eyeballs in venison. BTW, Seig, I saw that your area is listed as the #4 area in the country for trophy white tail this year. Happy hunting!

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
Hey, he coulda asked for a side of okra to go with the possum... and we all know how you "love" okra.;)

Don't worry 'bout the possum though. It's getting close on to deer season and soon you'll be up to your eyeballs in venison. BTW, Seig, I saw that your area is listed as the #4 area in the country for trophy white tail this year. Happy hunting!

yeah that and green fried maters.. glad they are all ripe now *gloats gleefully*
I'm still up to my eyeballs in Venison~!! actually my hands are very cold from digging some outta the chest freezer for dinner tonight.. gonna try it in a stir fry ~!
Oh he'll bring home yet another face for the wall *rolling eyes ~!!!!
*muttering about men* heheee ;)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still up to my eyeballs in Venison~!! actually my hands are very cold from digging some outta the chest freezer for dinner tonight.. gonna try it in a stir fry ~!

Venison stir fry sounds great! I don't count points on bucks anymore... I count bowls of venison stew.:D There is nothing quite like a hot bowl of venison stew and some cornbread when the weather turns cold. uh-oh my eyes just glazed over and my mouth started watering. I'd better go get something to eat.

Latest Discussions