The Kitchen

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite summer salad. This is what my mother-in-law makes all the time

Simply take Lettuce, White onion and Cucumber and mix with salt, pepper, sour creme and a little vinegar.

The salad is best when the veggies are fresh from the garden. I like using Leaf lettuce as opposed to head lettuce. The onions should be strong and tangy. Sometimes we throw in peppers and other veggies just for variety.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, there's nothing quite like a good shiskabob. I like to grill/barbecue london broil, then cube it (I know, I know) while it's still on the side of rare, then skewer with pearl onions, cherry tomatoes, triangle cuts of bell pepper and zucchini, spritz with my air-pump oil mister, sprinkle with herbs and grill some more, just until the beef is where you want it. Then the veggies are crisp. Served with warm, fresh-baked bread...mmm. It's a relatively clean meal with not too much heaviness and rehydrating sun tea with orange and cinnamon to drink, frozen yogurt and berries for dessert and after clean up, lounge with a taste of 10-year aged port.

*sigh* I'm in training. I had a peach for breakfast. I also had a peach for dinner last night. I will have a 4 oz. lean steak and raw, fresh veggies for lunch, 1/2 cup steamed brown rice with 1/2 cup veggies for dinner tonight, and lots of water.

Could leave off the beef for a veggie sishkabob and substute tofu, I guess....

I prefer to eat veggies clean and raw, crue d-ete style (sp?) - you can julienne them (when they're shaped like matchsticks) and toss them with anything to boost it up - chicken, tuna or turkey salad for instance. Do the same thing, bake up a little falafel and stuff it all in a pita pocket - or just the veggies, a little goat cheese and tahini dressing in a pita pocket.

Toss them in with black beans, season and bake, serve with rice for a good vegetarian meal.

*sigh* Did I mention I'm in training?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Speaking of barbecues and kebobs, here's an awesome way to eat your chicken. Try it!

Cut chicken into 2 inch cubes
Chop up some white onion, size doesn't matter, its going to hit the garbage later anyway. Should be equal volume of chicken and onion.
Put all that into a large bowl, cover with lemon juice, sprinkle on about 2 grams of crushed saffron.

Cover, leave it in the fridge for a day.

Skewer, and BBQ. Its best if done really hot, and not touching the grill, like on a skewer stand.

Yummmm!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shesulsa,

May I ask what you are in training for? Some sort of competition I presume? How much longer do you have and when your finished can you pig out? :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm training for my 8-hour black belt test in October. Can I pig out when I'm done....I suppose I could, but I would like to keep my level of fitness beyond the test. I'll probably have something with a cream sauce - like seafood fettucini alfredo with scallops, crawfish and shrimp, a nice tossed green salad and a glass or two of Sokol Blosser chardonnay. Might have bacon and eggs for breakfast, too. Burger and fries....

*sigh* I'm in training.

Latest Discussions