The Hobbit...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's three movies! That's news. I wonder why they broke it up like that? I'm listening to the Hobbit right now with my kids. I can see two films, but three?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I'm reading -- the third one is meant to make the connection to the Lord of The Ring trilogy more direct and make more of a transition between The Hobbit and others.

Of course, it couldn't possibly be about, oh... money. Nah... That's not it at all...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plus three years of awards ceremonies instead of just two.
Not to mention 3 times the ticket sales. Why settle for a mere $8.50 a person for a one time showing when you can 3 times that.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mmmm 48 ffs. headaches and dizzyness in HD here I come! :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mmmm 48 ffs. headaches and dizzyness in HD here I come! :D
I don't know... I might like it better, because I have a tendency to spot motion in movies, especially at the edges of my vision. 3D, though, tends to give me a headache.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I kind of wish they would have just done the Hobbit, in two parts. The added material might distract from the main story. If it is three books then we won't see you know who for another 2 years. I really wonder how they will handle him.
The 'added' material is actually the bits from Tolkien's notes that never made the book. It just fleshes out the characters and background.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I'm reading -- the third one is meant to make the connection to the Lord of The Ring trilogy more direct and make more of a transition between The Hobbit and others.

Hmmm...that could be where the material from The Simarillion comes in, if that's accurate info.

Of course, it couldn't possibly be about, oh... money. Nah... That's not it at all...

Corrupt Tolkien's legacy for something so base?!? I won't believe it!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, FFS means something entirely different to me than FPS :lol:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I need more context here. What does this rate really mean to me?

http://www.48fpsmovies.com/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_Trailer.mp4

There's been plenty of buzz about the upcoming film The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, but it's not just about the movie itself. It's also about the format the director Peter Jackson has decided to use, which he just defended in detail in a Facebook post yesterday. Normally, films are shot at 24 frames per second (fps), and have been for roughly 80 years. American television is broadcast at 29.97 fps, while European television is broadcast at 25 fps. Each of these have a unique look to which we've all grown accustomed.
What makes The Hobbit different is Peter Jackson's method for shooting it. He has employed an array of high-resolution RED Epic cameras recording video at 5,120-by-2,700-pixel resolution, and at 48 fps (known in the industry, along with 60 fps, as High Frame Rate). Depending on your viewpoint, the result either looks more lifelike than ever before, or it seems oddly cold, and too much like digital footage from live sports channels or daytime television.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403746,00.asp

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard motion-sickness concerns. It's true about what's said in the quote from Bob Hubbard--objectively soap operas look more real, but I experience them as being cheap-looking. I'm not sure why.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard motion-sickness concerns. It's true about what's said in the quote from Bob Hubbard--objectively soap operas look more real, but I experience them as being cheap-looking. I'm not sure why.

Well...soap operas are cheap. No one tunes in for the great production values, educational content, or artistic merit. They tune in for short-attention-span drama thats produced in high volume.