The Heavy Metal Thread!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm particular about the metal that I listen to because I can't see screaming as actual singing. Some metal singers do just that.
I agree, I can't get into most of the bands where the singer sounds like he's been gargling gravel (Sepultura and Soulfly being two notable exceptions). But one of the best metal shows I ever saw was Maiden on the opening US night of their Brave New World tour, with Queensryche and Halford opening. It doesn't get much better than that.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree, I can't get into most of the bands where the singer sounds like he's been gargling gravel (Sepultura and Soulfly being two notable exceptions). But one of the best metal shows I ever saw was Maiden on the opening US night of their Brave New World tour, with Queensryche and Halford opening. It doesn't get much better than that.
Someone told me that there's actually a school for guys to learn how to sing like that!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two words...

Led-Zeppelin.

thank you

Looks like that suggestion went over like a Lead Zeppelin. ;)

What do you think about DragonForce? My eldest son bought one of their albums. He asked me to take a listen and asked what I thought, "Wow, the guy is really fast and clean on the guitar, but to it lacked feeling and emotion." Maybe it's because I've been into the dirty, greasy, blues stuff that I think a lot of heavy metal, especially when it's not just heavy, but fast lacks real feeling. Then again, maybe I'm just to slow to pick up on the emotion.

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
i second any recommendations for wolves in the throne room or agalloch, though i prefer their album "the mantle".

satyricon, amon amarth, insomnium, meshuggah, & ulver are some must listens....

for anyone who likes sabbath, check out kyuss, electric wizard, & the sword.

Satyricon is definitely a staple.
Another band in the vien of Black Sabbath is "Sleep."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just an obscure Black sabbath note

I believe I saw an interview with Tony Iommi where he said that the reason that Black Sabbath came to the US when they did was not so much to become a hit in the US as it was to scare the Hell out of them :D

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like The Sword...and Sepultura..."Rhahamattata" is a great song to work out to.

I like Dragonforce okay...but their stuff starts running together after a while and its hard to tell where one song begins and another ends. lol

Don't leave out Clutch...they're awesome live.

I believe someone mentioned Meshuggah...I like them as well.

Heard the new Trivium song again this morning, "Kirisute Gomen". It's great. They're on a "samurai trip" appartently with the new album. Should be good.

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Random thought: Any Bathory fans on this thread? If so, there is a great album called "In Conspiracy With Satan - A Tribute to Bathory." Basically a bunch of black/death metal bands covering Bathory songs. Some really good stuff on there.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
aw c'mon, Zeppelin's good, even tho they are old. I just never really considered them Heavy Metal, is all. More like Classic Rock. That's my take, anyway.

yah...I know. But..they are considered one of the early founders of metal along with Sabbath.

Anyway, how can you not like a band that includes references to the Lord of the Rings in their lyrics. LOL

By the way...I can't believe this threads gone as long as it has with no mention of Pantera! We should all be ashamed! LOL

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
yah...I know. But..they are considered one of the early founders of metal along with Sabbath.

The song "Communication Breakdown," IMO, is the very first example of a Heavy Metal song.

But I don't consider Led Zeppelin to be a Heavy Metal band any more than I consider them to be a folk band or country band (they also did songs in these genres, among many others).

It was Zeppelin's refusal to stay within a single genre that made them so interesting to me.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to love Heavy Metal. Back in the mid-80s, that's all my band played:

Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Metallica (OLD school Metallica!), even some Slayer.

I guess I got old. I still like to listen to some of the old stuff I used to rock out on occassionally, but for the most part I've chilled out and prefer something with more melody and less adolescent rage. I don't really get into any of the new metal.

Foo Fighters are probably my favorite, presently.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
ma-caver, just busting your chops a bit. i like zep, but i have always thought that they got too much credit for starting metal considering that sabbath came out at the same time.

jbrainard: i like what little bathory i've heard. when i started listening to black metal earlier this year i heard some of them along with burzum. i liked it, but i like the newer bands better, probably because i happened to hear them first.

i can't believe i forgot clutch. they are indeed an awesome live show. the whole place went wild when they played "pure rock fury". i don't really think of them as metal though. more like stoner rock a la monster magnet, another band i really like.

hail,

jf

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For some other metal bands , Pantera is probably still my number 1. I grew up listening to them , old school Metallica ( pre- Black Album stuff , the rest is crap IMO) , Another one I liek alot is Mudvayne, Mushroomhead was also ok. For some classic 80's and 90's metal though, look up Testament, Forbidden, Atheist, S.O.D. , Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, Megadeth...... The goodies but oldies. I remember when I grew up in NY , staying up till 12am Saturdays till 3am watching Metal Shop. I used to laugh my *** off when the Metal Heads woudl pick on Rikki Rachtman and basically call him poser to his face. HAHA

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For some other metal bands , Pantera is probably still my number 1.
I got to see them once, when they were on the Sabbath reunion tour. They were excellent live. Deftones opened. I was underwhelmed.
old school Metallica ( pre- Black Album stuff , the rest is crap IMO)
Death Magnetic comes out on Friday. I hope it's better than St. Anger.
I remember when I grew up in NY , staying up till 12am Saturdays till 3am watching Metal Shop. I used to laugh my *** off when the Metal Heads woudl pick on Rikki Rachtman and basically call him poser to his face. HAHA
You're thinking of Headbanger's Ball. Metalshop was the weekend metal radio show.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Metallica is NOT Metallica anymore.

I heard their new single on the radio and it took a supreme act of will to stop myself from stabbing my ****in' ears out with soldering irons just to escape the horrid sound.

It might pass for generic "rock" But By NO stretch of the wildest imagination can they EVER be considered "Metal" anymore.

Right around Reload? Where they started sucking badly? That song they made "The Memory Remains"? They haven't figured out yet that that song IS ABOUT THEM.

Metallica just needs to stop making any more music, ever, and die with what little dignity remains from what they once were.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Metallica is NOT Metallica anymore.
Are you one of those fans that started screaming sell-out when Fade To Black came out?
And then when (gasp) they made a video for One?
And then when the black album debuted at #1?
Bands evolve. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, look at where Pantera started. Or look at a band like Rush. Fly By Night and Temples of Syrinx was fairly heavy stuff, then later they went through that horrible new age period.
I've been listening to Metallica since about '86, and I appreciate the fact that they've tried new things. They're the same band that doesn't give a **** what people think, but some fans are pissed off now that Metallica won't fit into the image that they've created for them.
But if you want a band that still has the same sound, check out AC/DC or Slayer. Most of their songs are interchangeable.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you one of those fans that started screaming sell-out when Fade To Black came out?
And then when (gasp) they made a video for One?
And then when the black album debuted at #1?
Bands evolve. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, look at where Pantera started. Or look at a band like Rush. Fly By Night and Temples of Syrinx was fairly heavy stuff, then later they went through that horrible new age period.
I've been listening to Metallica since about '86, and I appreciate the fact that they've tried new things. They're the same band that doesn't give a **** what people think, but some fans are pissed off now that Metallica won't fit into the image that they've created for them.
But if you want a band that still has the same sound, check out AC/DC or Slayer. Most of their songs are interchangeable.

i think the black album is the let down album for most. trying new things is one thing; there are plenty of bands out there who evolved but still made metal. metallica's "evolution" looked much more like a contrived P.R. move in order to survive the grunge era.

still, i could have forgiven the black album. BUT launching an all-out attack on music sharing when your band got it's start by selling bootleg copies of cover songs? that is the new $$metallica$$.

jf

p.s., anyone remember manowar? actually in the record books once as the worlds loudest band.

Latest Discussions