The Heavy Metal Thread!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
there are quite a few metal band that have great singers (dio comes to mind), but i don't think metallica will ever be one of them. like andy said, it's just a matter of style. i have always been annoyed by how hetfield ends most lines with "-ah!" "and the dust in throat i crave-ah!/ only knowledge will i save-ah!" anyway, to each his own.
It's a side effect of enunciating the consonant while maintaining volume. I get the same thing on certain words. IIRC, The Rock once cut a promo mocking Triple H for this very thing, and he probably does it for the same reason.

so how is hot topic commercial???? they sell tapout clothing, you know!:uhyeah:
Yep, and I'd be willing to bet that most of those sales go to young adult male UFC fanboys who've never set foot in a gym.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I personally liked Metallica's older stuff. It was more aggressive, raw, and powerful. Yes they got refined as they got older and their sound changed, but that was their decision. Bands are allowed to evolve as they want. It is your choice to remain a fan or not. Music is in the ear of the beholder, I personally would rather enjoy a thread about recommendations instead of, they were better then , they suck now etc........ If you hear something good , then pass it on !!

I must also admit that my tastes have evolved. Back in the day , if it wasn't METAL it sucked. When my brother first started listening to Rush , The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.... I was like, This isn't Metal , it sucks. Little did I know I was being ignorant and by listening to other bands , in different genre's it allowed me to progress as a musician as well as a person. Now I listen to all kinds of music. Except for C - Rap , and gangsta garbage. I can't wait till that musical genre dies , and they move on to something more creative. Don't get me wrong , I love stuff like Outkast , things that are not the norm.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Music is in the ear of the beholder, I personally would rather enjoy a thread about recommendations instead of, they were better then , they suck now etc........ If you hear something good , then pass it on !!

well said, sir.

jf

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Smashing Pumpkins
Now this guy's voice drives me nuts. I loved the quote from Sharon Osbourne when she quit as their manager,
"...I must resign today due to medical reasons - Billy Corgan was making me sick!!!"
:rofl:

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the band in general is one of my favorites nowadays. Jimmy Chamberlin , the drummer is my idol, as I am a drummer, and he inspires me to get better at my music. Yeah his voice may not be the best, but it is certainly not the worst. Geddy Lee of Rush is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Certain Cure songs as well. For the most part though I lvoe the Cure, and RUsh , the music is great, hsi voice just ruins it for me.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last metal album I listened to in entirety was ...

Beatallica

:D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If I can get back to Metallica for a minute, I finally heard a couple more songs form the new album and I have to say it is better than St Anger but I am not sure if it is good. It sounded to me to be a combination of “Kill em All” and “The Black Album” which by themselves are rather impressive but stuck together in the same song I am not quite sure works.

I will have to hear them a few more times to figure out whether or not I like it I guess.

Sadly I remember the day when a Metallica album meant “GOOD” not questionable

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corrosion of Conformity. Got into them after seeing the video for Vote With a Bullet. They've gotten a bit mellower in later albums.

That seems to be thier progression (regression?). They were a lot heavier before Vote With a Bullet came out.

Now I listen to all kinds of music. Except for C - Rap , and gangsta garbage. I can't wait till that musical genre dies , and they move on to something more creative. Don't get me wrong , I love stuff like Outkast , things that are not the norm.

You would probably like Kool Kieth and his many incarnations.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey J, thanks for the heads up about 1349! i finally got around to checking them out. brutal black metal at it's finest.

jf

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, pansies....

So, there's a huge and heated debate over Metallica....facepalm.

I started my journey with them with the Load album, and I loved every last second of it, and learned to play guitar by listening to it. I can play that entire album with my eyes closed. The only album that was crap is St. Anger, more because of the production (or lack thereof) than the actual songs themselves...although, the songs weren't the greatest either. But I blame that on the in-fighting the band was experiencing. The new album isn't too shabby...takes some getting used to.

Ok, now, for some metal bands that you can actually warm up to as opposed to falling asleep to:

Bullet For My Valentine
Trivium
The Human Abstract
Between The Buried and Me
Everytime I Die
Story of the Year
Dragonforce (yeah, I said it)
Lamb of God
My band...shameless plug...www.myspace.com/maxkincaide
He Is Legend
A Girl, A Gun, A Ghost
Memphis May Fire

I do have to say that I would normally put Mudvayne in this list, but I just heard their new single...bleh....nothing awesome about it at all. But their old stuff is awesomeness on a stick.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
"load" was their most aptly titled album. facepalm.

peace,

jf

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ok, pansies....

I started my journey with them with the Load album

I started my Metallica journety with Kill 'Em All, saw them on tour for that too...soo

Listened to/saw Megadeth, Motorhead, Y&T, Manowar, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Dio (before during and after Sabbath), Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, UFO, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Slayer, Metal Church, Voi Vod, Riot. Dokken, Quiet Riot, Scorpions, Accept, Ratt, Rainbow, Deep Purple, AC/DC, KISS, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Def Leppard, Pantera, Guns N Roses, Van Halen w/ David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, Alice Cooper, Queensryche, Raven

And those are just some of them and the popular ones most people "might" know

So who you calling a pansies... youngin. :uhyeah:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old enough to rock the ****in' house down!

:bangahead::drinkbeer:drinkbeer:drinkbeer:drinkbeer:drinkbeer:drinkbeer:drinkbeer:bangahead::barf: