The Heavy Metal Thread!

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm creating this thread for the discussion of all things metal.

I'll start:
1. I recently discovered a band called "1349." I would highly recommend it to fans of black metal and/or grindcore.
2. I've been hearing good things about a band called "Wolves in the Throne Room." Anybody heard any of their stuff? I'm going to go check out a live show of thiers in October to see what they're all about.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Long Live Metal !!!

I discovered two bands that are pretty good.

Agalloch - DarkMetal/ Folk Metal, good mix though. Check out album Ashes against the Grain. Haunting guitar riffs and choruses etc....

Soilwork - Swedish Metal Band that whoops some serious @ss.

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agalloch - DarkMetal/ Folk Metal, good mix though. Check out album Ashes against the Grain. Haunting guitar riffs and choruses etc....

Thanks for the tip. I looked them up on wikipedia and they are from my home town. Hell, they might even be (one of) the opening act(s) for the Wolves in the Throne Room show.

Two more words: "old" and "tired"
You're welcome.

Thanks Kreth, I didn't want to have to be the one to say it. :lol:

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't now many new metal bands but I must say RAVEN always worked well for me :EG:

Most of the new metal coming out of the US is pretty crappy.
You mentioned Raven... Are you into any of the other "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" bands? ("new" being somewhat of a misnomer)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Most of the new metal coming out of the US is pretty crappy.
You mentioned Raven... Are you into any of the other "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" bands? ("new" being somewhat of a misnomer)

Actually I don’t know can you name a few?

As far as those I listened to that I know are British there is Dio, Black Sabbath (Whit and without Dio), Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest

But I have an old collection that has Accept, Scorpioins, Y&T, Queensryche, Tigers of Pan Tang, Manowar, Megadeth, Metallica, Loudness, Twisted Sister to name a few.

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't now many new metal bands but I must say RAVEN always worked well for me :EG:

Oh no you didn't.... LOL..I remember them from like when I was 14.

Iron Maiden are the all time lords of metal IMHO...(huge fan)

I'm still listening to Machine Head's latest..The Blackening...it's outstanding. Not a bad song on there.

Like the new Five Finger Death Punch and the Slipknot's new release "Psycosocial" kicks much butt.

Not much into the mic-in-the-mouth stuff though I never miss an episode of Metalocolypse and preset #1 on my Sirius radio is Hard Attack. =-)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i second any recommendations for wolves in the throne room or agalloch, though i prefer their album "the mantle".

satyricon, amon amarth, insomnium, meshuggah, & ulver are some must listens.

there are a couple of celtic themed metal bands called primordial & mael mordha which i also really like.

i'm a little confused as to why led zep was mentioned in a metal thread. ma-caver, there's this band you might like called "black sabbath" you should check them out :)

for anyone who likes sabbath, check out kyuss, electric wizard, & the sword.

jf

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i second any recommendations for wolves in the throne room or agalloch, though i prefer their album "the mantle".

satyricon, amon amarth, insomnium, meshuggah, & ulver are some must listens.

there are a couple of celtic themed metal bands called primordial & mael mordha which i also really like.

i'm a little confused as to why led zep was mentioned in a metal thread. ma-caver, there's this band you might like called "black sabbath" you should check them out :)

for anyone who likes sabbath, check out kyuss, electric wizard, & the sword.

jf
I know Sabbath (War Pigs, Iron Man, Sweet Leaf, et al) and like them but only a few songs. I'm particular about the HEAVY metal that I listen to... But Zeppelin was one of the originators of Metal so they had to be mentioned. Maybe they're not as speedy or as booming as the metal that came after them but nobody at the time sounded like them and the music by Page, Bottham, Jones was copied and remade and remade again to be faster, heavier. Plant's vocals well they're all by itself I think.
I'm particular about the metal that I listen to because I can't see screaming as actual singing. Some metal singers do just that.
But that's my opinion.
And I'm a guy who has over 25 John Denver songs and 15 Neil Diamond songs among his collection in his computer. But it's balanced out by the Who, Beatles, Floyd, and others.