the first couple videos from my test

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok...I have to join in on this because, well I have been rewriting competition rules, getting things together for 2 national tournaments and creating bylaws, so I am extrememly bored. :)

1. This one has been unchanged since 1965. Perhaps longer.

Which is great. If you want to practice very traditional forms that's awesome. Now who is to say that book is right? It may have been right at the time of the author putting it out, but things change perspective changes, etc.

2. You are certainly free to make a judgement call that turning the wrong way and going in the wrong direction, not following the pattern diagram is small stuff.

If they can justify the turing of a different direction other than what is written in a book then why is it wrong?

3. I was not asking you to second gues anyone. In some schools / orgs it is permitted to ask questions (sometimes in private) in a respectful way. Even the best instructors make mistakes. I have even heard gneral Choi say in response to a question "What Book say?" and he wrote it. He said "Even book better than General Choi" acknowledging that the shortest pencil is better than the longest memory. Apparently your group believes the instructor is infallable. You have the right to hold such beliefs. It explains perpetuation of errors.

Just as Choi's group doesn't want to look deeper into his questionable background in martial arts.

4. You have a right to your opinion. However, it would be intersting to see if anything on your resume other than what is posted on your resume lends any weight to your opinion from an experiential and educational standpoint. Further, since you learn so many of Gneral Choi's patterns and apparently subscribe to his tenets and other material being critical of General Choi is being critical of yourself as well as your instructors, and your instructors instructors who use the same material.

5. This point is abundantly clear. The difference is that others care what the rest of the world thinks. We might even make some effort to see if constructive criticism is well founded. I apologize for thinking that you fell into this other group. You are also very privileged to have so many people on this forum come to your defense.

The reason I am joining in this, is because our school will sometimes be told by others that we are performing a kata wrong. They tell me they learned it exactly how the founder taught it and that is the correct way. Cool. Guess what, I don't care. The way that we are being taught is working out fine. We do the forms and even justify our movements with bunkai. My point is that instead of coming on here telling him he is wrong because the book says its wrong, why not just find out more about why they do it that way and leave it at that, or dig deeper and contact GM Cho and ask him personally why he does the pattern wrong. After all TF is just doing what he was taught. The source of his information is still alive. Go to the source.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's like the transistion from the one legged stance to the back stance with the double elbow to the rear.

the book, and every video just has you stepping out.

MR Shelton changed it to a 180 degree turn counter clockwise.

to make it HARDER to do.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When discussions take the turn towards disagreements on detail, it is important to take a step back and remember what kata in a given martial art are for.

In koryu arts such as MJER, each movement is an integral part of a technique that makes up part of the art. They are the method by which the swordsman learns that which he or she needs to react to a given circumstance. For such arts, the transmission of the technique is supposedly assured by the very nature of how koryu styles structure themselves and changing, inventing or otherwise altering the techniques is sternly restricted. That does not mean it does not happen, however. The trick is to make sure that the changes that creep in, as technique passes from sensei to sensei, do not undermine the fundamental practicality of the style, nor render it unrecognisable as that style.

TKD does not operate under such a milieu; as far as I have been able to ascertain, those very things that my art would frown upon and prevent are actively encouraged. I might be wrong on this and mean no insult to TKD but surely an art where reasonably high-ranking students are encouraged to invent forms of their own should be one in which disagreements over the minutiae of provenance have no place?

If that is so, then picking over one such students efforts, performed in accordance with his schools current thinking, is somewhat rude?

Miguk said it well in closing above, I just wanted to add my amplification to his words.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. :)

Which is great. If you want to practice very traditional forms that's awesome. Now who is to say that book is right? It may have been right at the time of the author putting it out, but things change perspective changes, etc.

If they can justify the turing of a different direction other than what is written in a book then why is it wrong?

The reason I am joining in this, is because our school will sometimes be told by others that we are performing a kata wrong. They tell me they learned it exactly how the founder taught it and that is the correct way. Cool. Guess what, I don't care. The way that we are being taught is working out fine. We do the forms and even justify our movements with bunkai. My point is that instead of coming on here telling him he is wrong because the book says its wrong, why not just find out more about why they do it that way and leave it at that, or dig deeper and contact GM Cho and ask him personally why he does the pattern wrong. After all TF is just doing what he was taught. The source of his information is still alive. Go to the source.

The form was created by Gneral Choi during perhaps with the assistance of several accomplished martial artists at the time. Since it was his creation or done under his authority he has the right to stipulate how the pattern was performed. From the 1965 publication thru the time of his death it did not change. So, if you do not follow the stipulated parameters, it is wrong. It has not changed.

If you knowingly make a change, that is fine. If you unknowingly perpetuate an error, that is not a good idea. If you knowingly make a change to something and continue to represent itt as the original that is fraud. This is one reasoon many Ryus were formed, becuse, successors did not want to represent what they were doing as something else.

You can justify turning hoever you want. You are then doing something than the original.

I have sent 2 e-mails to AIMAA . He Il Cho's group. I asked if it were an error or intentional change. So far no response.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
experiment time.

i will try to find the number to the main school for Cho's group, i know it is in LA. And I will call and ask.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was a mistake in interpitation and that was told to me years ago. But looking forward to some input from the group.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
experiment time.

i will try to find the number to the main school for Cho's group, i know it is in LA. And I will call and ask.

Kudos to you for taking the initiative. I believe GM Cho himslef moved to Hawaii a couple of years ago.

Latest Discussions