The Eye as a Target

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Craptastic striking equals I don't have to bother because eye gouges gives me the street edge over a punch.
Hmm! I spend an awful lot of time teaching people to punch. In my Krav classes many of them have been boxers. The fact that now they are learning to punch bare hand changes things a lot and every one I have had so far has been punching with a tense arm.

I have no problem with the striking aspect of martial arts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm! I spend an awful lot of time teaching people to punch. In my Krav classes many of them have been boxers. The fact that now they are learning to punch bare hand changes things a lot and every one I have had so far has been punching with a tense arm.

I have no problem with the striking aspect of martial arts.

How do you know?

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Easy way to test. I have the kudo masks.
No need to test if the practitioner has a reasonable established and tested striking base and that SD situation is not likely going to be against a boxer....given that most people don't box....However, I do like to test what I do, so yeah, thrash away with the masks on to your heart's content.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you know?
You really need to ask? If some one is punching you properly you know. I might have thought with your experience you might have known how to tell if a punch was effective.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really need to ask? If some one is punching you properly you know. I might have thought with your experience you might have known how to tell if a punch was effective.

I get them to put a pair of gloves on and engage in hard punching. I haven't notice a discernible difference between bare knuckle and gloves punching. Especially with smaller gloves.

But I don't bare knuckle box.

Are you suggesting that is the same method you use to define how your bare knuckle method is more effective?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No need to test if the practitioner has a reasonable established and tested striking base and that SD situation is not likely going to be against a boxer....given that most people don't box....However, I do like to test what I do, so yeah, thrash away with the masks on to your heart's content.

My test would be that if you can counter a boxer then you can counter most punching. And by default most eye gouging. Now you suggested you have a different method that is comparable to that. So I assumed you would have at least tested it against boxing.

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My test would be that if you can counter a boxer then you can counter most punching. And by default most eye gouging. Now you suggested you have a different method that is comparable to that. So I assumed you would have at least tested it against boxing.

Why, when boxing is not what it is intended to be used against?

If it is intended for use to protect myself, I am unlikely to need to use it against a boxer, boxers being the lovely friendly warm hearted people that they are.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gnarlie has it spot on. I am not training to box. I did that years ago. I am not training others to box either although years ago I did teach guys to go into tournament karate.

What I am teaching is how to get through the average punter's defence and take him out whether it is a punch, elbow, kick or knee.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why, when boxing is not what it is intended to be used against?

If it is intended for use to protect myself, I am unlikely to need to use it against a boxer, boxers being the lovely friendly warm hearted people that they are.

Testing against effective punching. Rather than a persons mean spirit.

Who do you test against?

Angry street fighters?

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Testing against effective punching. Rather than a persons mean spirit.

Who do you test against?

Angry street fighters?
Whoever is available. Including boxers. But that's a belt and braces approach rather than necessary.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gnarlie has it spot on. I am not training to box. I did that years ago. I am not training others to box either although years ago I did teach guys to go into tournament karate.

What I am teaching is how to get through the average punter's defence and take him out whether it is a punch, elbow, kick or knee.

So where would you rate your students striking in comparison to say a boxer. Considering the bare knuckle difference.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So where would you rate your students striking in comparison to say a boxer. Considering the bare knuckle difference.
This becomes a philosophical discussion because a punch doesn't have to be delivered with full power to be effective. I would maintain that if I can teach a person to strike with more power then they would require less effort to achieve enough power to deliver an effective strike. Because every person is different it is impossible to compare a non boxer to a boxer. I mean, what are we comparing? Does a 65kg female student pack the same power as a 120kg male boxer? Obviously not, but I would claim that I can take an average boxer and teach him how to increase the power of his punch.

Now this is not an issue for big strong guys but for females in particular, being able to deliver maximum power in a punch becomes very important.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This becomes a philosophical discussion because a punch doesn't have to be delivered with full power to be effective. I would maintain that if I can teach a person to strike with more power then they would require less effort to achieve enough power to deliver an effective strike. Because every person is different it is impossible to compare a non boxer to a boxer. I mean, what are we comparing? Does a 65kg female student pack the same power as a 120kg male boxer? Obviously not, but I would claim that I can take an average boxer and teach him how to increase the power of his punch.

Now this is not an issue for big strong guys but for females in particular, being able to deliver maximum power in a punch becomes very important.

Not sure how it is too philosophical. Because you could test. Find a comparable boxer of about the same size and ability and see if your method holds water. Or any other striking stylist. Continue to test untill you have found a trend.

That is why I suggested the eyegouge off in the first place. You could get an ide of eyegouge vs eyegouge or even eyegouge vs punch to a lesser degree.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure how it is too philosophical. Because you could test. Find a comparable boxer of about the same size and ability and see if your method holds water. Or any other striking stylist. Continue to test untill you have found a trend.

That is why I suggested the eyegouge off in the first place. You could get an ide of eyegouge vs eyegouge or even eyegouge vs punch to a lesser degree.
Mmm. As I said, I used to box and I am teaching guys who box. What should I do next, sign on for Golden Gloves?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mmm. As I said, I used to box and I am teaching guys who box. What should I do next, sign on for Golden Gloves?

You should. You have years of experience in an effective striking style that engages in life or death confrontation. You punch harder than most boxers and have even boxed previously.

Golden gloves should be easy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So effective eye gouging. Here is john jones using eyegouges effectively.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should. You have years of experience in an effective striking style that engages in life or death confrontation. You punch harder than most boxers and have even boxed previously.

Golden gloves should be easy.
Agree with some but not all. I have had years of experience in an effective striking style and I have boxed. Then you get into misquoting and hyperbole. Please show me where I said I punch harder than most boxers.

Only Sad Dog has faced the life or death bit, at least according to him.

As to Golden Gloves sadly, I think I might be a bit old to fit the age limit. I passed that age before you were born. :cool:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree with some but not all. I have had years of experience in an effective striking style and I have boxed. Then you get into misquoting and hyperbole. Please show me where I said I punch harder than most boxers.

Only Sad Dog has faced the life or death bit, at least according to him.

As to Golden Gloves sadly, I think I might be a bit old to fit the age limit. I passed that age before you were born. :cool:

You claim to teach people to hit harder. Are you not able to do so yourself?

"but I would claim that I can take an average boxer and teach him how to increase the power of his punch."

You are the one who raised golden gloves. I suggested an eyegouge test with some masks on.

By the way we recently had a two 55ish year old compete. And they have had nowhere near the level of training you have.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You claim to teach people to hit harder. Are you not able to do so yourself?

"but I would claim that I can take an average boxer and teach him how to increase the power of his punch."

You are the one who raised golden gloves. I suggested an eyegouge test with some masks on.

By the way we recently had a two 55ish year old compete. And they have had nowhere near the level of training you have.
And I was 58 in my last tournament nearly 10 years ago. Is that meant to prove something? The reference to Golden Gloves was irony. Give me a break. I teach martial arts to the best of my ability. We are not all fit young guys fuelled with testosterone training for our next fight. If the guys I train wanted to fight in the ring their training would be totally different. We don't all have to train as you train, if indeed you train at all. We accept that you do what you say you do even though no one here has seen you train.

Latest Discussions