The Eye as a Target

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Found this on a German language site, thought it might be worth posting here. Real eye attack and results.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is total BS. I was told on good authority that the eye gauges I teach are a waste of time and just don't work!
:smuggrin:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That will wreck your day.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is total BS. I was told on good authority that the eye gauges I teach are a waste of time and just don't work!
:smuggrin:

Without good striking basics they are. You will notice they are employed in the same way punches are. And (Not in this case of course) they are defended in the same way punches are.

It is the delivery system and not the eye gouge that gets you across the line.

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Without good striking basics they are. You will notice they are employed in the same way punches are. And (Not in this case of course) they are defended in the same way punches are.

It is the delivery system and not the eye gouge that gets you across the line.
Agreed, but once you get over the line that eye gouge is quite likely to be a game changer, whereas the punch might not be.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I've always found interesting is when people are fighting (for real) and someone gets damage to the eye(s) they will sometimes vocalize in panic, "My eyes!" They don't seem to do that for any other body part. Heard "my back" a couple times, but usually it's just the eyes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed, but once you get over the line that eye gouge is quite likely to be a game changer, whereas the punch might not be.

No.You have one video of an effective eye gouge.

So if I can find an eye gouge not finishing a fight then I assume the weight of evidence cancels out?

Mabye find two videos of a punch finishing a fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I've always found interesting is when people are fighting (for real) and someone gets damage to the eye(s) they will sometimes vocalize in panic, "My eyes!" They don't seem to do that for any other body part. Heard "my back" a couple times, but usually it's just the eyes.

Considered an escalation. Like biting or nut grabbing in that the fight goes into death mode.

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No.You have one video of an effective eye gouge.

So if I can find an eye gouge not finishing a fight then I assume the weight of evidence cancels out?

Mabye find two videos of a punch finishing a fight.
No, because video is not acceptable evidence of anything.

However, speaking from more than one instance of personal experience (both accidental and deliberate), eye damage really takes the fight out of a person, and is no harder to inflict than a punch.

Don't get me wrong, a punch can be effective too, but an eye jab is something else. I know I won't convince you of that, you have your position on these things, and that's fine. It works / has worked both for and against me, and that's all that matters to me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, because video is not acceptable evidence of anything.

However, speaking from more that one instance of personal experience (both accidental and deliberate), eye damage really takes the fight out of a person, and is no harder to inflict than a punch.

Don't get me wrong, a punch can be effective too, but an eye jab is something else. I know I won't convince you of that, you have your position on these things, and that's fine. It works / has worked both for and against me, and that's all that matters to me.

Ok. My stance is still the delivery method here. And that is easy to test. I mean all we need to do is find a boxer. Get a couple of sets of goggles and have an eye gouge off to see who's eye gouges are better.

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok. My stance is still the delivery method here. And that is easy to test. I mean all we need to do is find a boxer. Get a couple of sets of goggles and have an eye gouge off to see who's eye gouges are better.
We are probably not going to get into a situation where we need to eye gouge a boxer. What has that boxer done to us?

Why does everything have to come back to style vs style?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We are probably not going to get into a situation where we need to eye gouge a boxer. What has that boxer done to us?

Why does everything have to come back to style vs style?

When people use comments like. "The eye gouges I teach" and "Mine are useless too. Must be that we never pressure test them."

Well you can pressure test them. And you can find out if the eye gouges you teach are the most effective method of teaching them.

We even have kudo masks that would be perfect for this

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When people use comments like. "The eye gouges I teach" and "Mine are useless too. Must be that we never pressure test them."

Well you can pressure test them. And you can find out if the eye gouges you teach are the most effective method of teaching them.

We even have kudo masks that would be perfect for this
Already on it. Those earlier posts were examples of sarcasm. At least mine was.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well every time we practise a jab or two followed by the straight punch I emphasise that the jab is often really an open hand strike for the eyes. Apart from anything else it normally causes the flinch response and, being open hand, is faster and has the extra range than a closed fist jab.

From my point of view, there is little difference in delivering it from a strike as in the video or on the ground. A poke in the eye is a poke in the eye.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Already on it. Those earlier posts were examples of sarcasm. At least mine was.

Yeah I know. But there are two ways to look at effective eye gouging. One is backed by solid technique. Pressure tested striking equals pressure tested eye gouging. They become a tool in the tool box.

Or.

Craptastic striking equals I don't have to bother because eye gouges gives me the street edge over a punch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well every time we practise a jab or two followed by the straight punch I emphasise that the jab is often really an open hand strike for the eyes. Apart from anything else it normally causes the flinch response and, being open hand, is faster and has the extra range than a closed fist jab.

From my point of view, there is little difference in delivering it from a strike as in the video or on the ground. A poke in the eye is a poke in the eye.

And from the ground you mean from underneath a guy?

Gnp eye gouging would work but seems a bit mean.

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah I know. But there are two ways to look at effective eye gouging. One is backed by solid technique. Pressure tested striking equals pressure tested eye gouging. They become a tool in the tool box.

Or.

Craptastic striking equals I don't have to bother because eye gouges gives me the street edge over a punch.
Agree. Shaping the hand for a gouge is less effective without a good foundation in striking to land the hand on target. That does not necessarily have to be based in boxing, though, especially if the strike is being trained for SD purposes. Boxing makes a fine foundation, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree. Shaping the hand for a gouge is less effective without a good foundation in striking to land the hand on target. That does not necessarily have to be based in boxing, though, especially if the strike is being trained for SD purposes. Boxing makes a fine foundation, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Easy way to test. I have the kudo masks.