The Equalizer - What role do weapons serve?

Discussion in 'General Weapons Discussion' started by Taipan, Jan 10, 2021 at 5:05 PM.

1. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

Okay. I have to ask. I normally wouldn't ask or even care about this, but it's relevant because you're trying to sell a package and your goal is, as you say, to create a total combatives system. What makes you think you have the knowledge or skill to do this? I mean, you admit to not knowing much about weapons, but have a weapons video. Are you keeping something to yourself? I just don't get it.

2. Taipan

Taipan Orange Belt

I have officially studied hand to hand combat, mordern knife and gun combatives, and ground fighting. That is what is what I teach.

And I have had formal training in nunchaku and ropedart

3. Oni_Kadaki

Oni_Kadaki Green Belt

Out of curiosity, what do "officially study" and "formal training" mean?

4. Taipan

Taipan Orange Belt

Under strict teachers and guidelines. For instance in Taekwondo I studied under a 5 dan and spent years in diligent training. That I also hold "official" rank. Tgat is what I would classify as "official study" or formsl training.

What I would not classify as such would be my training in Kali. Although I have trained in Kali for a couple of years, I have not learned in an official settimg with a consistent teacher. So, although I have greatly benefited from Kali. I would not count it "official" or "formal".

I hope that helps.

5. dunc

dunc Blue Belt

Hi
    What does your formal training in hand to hand combat and ground fighting comprise of?
    I ask because I'm not sure that TKD covers either of these fully
    Thanks
    D

6. Taipan

Taipan Orange Belt

Ok, understood.

For hand to hand I have trained in both ITF and Wtf Taekwondo, Shotokan and Kanzen Karate, and Muay Thai. I've also train in hand to hand techniques from Kali.

As for ground fighting it's all Jui jitsu and Krav Maga.

• Like Like x 2
  7. dunc

dunc Blue Belt

That's great!
    You have trained in MT, Kali, BJJ and Krav to the level where you can teach?

8. Taipan

Taipan Orange Belt

MT yes. Considering the fact that I am not teaching Kali, BJJ or Krav Maga, I not not need to be instructor level in those to teach hand to hand combat. I do borrow form the styles yes. But I am not pretending to be a master of those systems and giving out rank in those systems. I think they have aspects that fill in the weak spots of the styles I am at instructor level in. And example would be BJJ, I am not teaching BJJ, but I am teaching mixed martial arts. Therefore since Taekwondo, Muay Thai, and Karate lack extensive ground work and I gave trained in BJJ I will add the BKJ techniques I am proficient in to the curriculum and fill in those areas that need to be complete.

When you think about it, lots of instructors in various styles do this to some extent. Maybe its subtle changes in a block or self-defense technique.

There is no problem with pulling from other styles if you are not an instructor in that style. The problem arises when you get these guys that have no training or never even reach the rank of instructor in ANY style that go and take Aikido for a couple of months and then think they can teach Their own ground fighting system. :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ivan

Ivan Blue Belt

Your website has some nice design but the black writing doesn’t pair well with the dark red wallpaper. I would try going more in depth in your blog posts, and making the writing a bit bigger so people can read it.

10. Taipan

Taipan Orange Belt

Thanks Ivan!

I'll definitely look into that!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tenshin

Tenshin White Belt

Why do you twirl every weapon?
    I watched most of the videos, I think in some areas needs more practice such as Kenjutsu. I do not think what you said about Musashi is completely accurate in your interpretation unless you study the Ryuha among other things when reading texts from those time periods.

12. Taipan

Taipan Orange Belt

As for the twirling...

I have engaged in sword sparring, knife sparring, staff sparring, and a couple of the other weapins, but I've never been good at shadow fencing.

Not having anyone to exchange blows with I simply twirled them around.

It's a sorry excuse I know.

I'd love to study Kenjutsu! Just don't have a local school.

13. Tenshin

Tenshin White Belt

I am not sure exactly where you live, but a lot of people are doing zoom classes, a lot of people are having good results with them. It might give you a better understanding of the Japanese sword.

14. Taipan

Taipan Orange Belt

Northern Missouri.

I'll look into it.123