Texas State and Lajust

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were taught that the 45 degree kick was a faster kick with less power but still effective.

Yes, we are taught that both have their place, their use, and their mechanics. However, the roundhouse is taught first and I think it's because if you teach the round first, you will set up certain habits that will ne harder to break on the roundhouse.

Mostly though this is my understanding is that the round kick is a bit quicker because it doesn't require as much hip and should commitment, but this is why it doesn't have as much power and drive through the target. Also since you don't pivot the rear foot around as much, this allows a constant motion going forward that you see a lot in TKD competition. The turnabout is that you don't get the same body balance as you would from the fully pivoted leg, thus making it hard if not undoable to execute multiple kicks off the same kick . Such as a low-high roundhouse or low-high sidekick or even hook/round kick.

Just like the round kick was taught two ways, one with the instep and the other with the ball of foot or toes pulled back. We use to break boards with the ball of foot, but today just about everything is done with the instep, even board breaking.

I *hate* breaking with the instep! Ouch! BUt yeah, the toes-back roundhouse is very powerful, especially inside to the gut.

Latest Discussions