Improving criteria for scoring hand techniques

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this is a can of worms, and one that has perhaps been avoided on purpose by WTF because the minimal scoring of hand techniques forces competitors to rely on kicks, BUT:

I think we need a more clear critieria for scoring hand techniques if there is any desire for them to count more than they do. Foot techniques to the head are fairly easy to score because the head is moved.

The only criteria for the judge scoring a punch to the hogu is Article 11, section 2 "Points shall be awarded when permitted techniques are delivered accurately and powerfully to the legal scoring areas." The interpretation applying to non-electronic scoring says (C) "All scoring must be done according to the judge's own decision..."

With electronics I could see an electronic glove with the power set the same as with the sock. It would still take a powerful punch to score.

Without electronics, is there a more user-friendly criteria for scoring a punch than the subjective "...powerfully...".? I get that it should be the judge's decision, but the judge should have better criteria.

Should it take a knock-down? Knock off-balance that requires a step to recover?

Whatever the criteria, I would like it to be more clear than it is now. I suspect we all have taken powerful body punches that are harder than some kicks that have scored. Players, judges and coaches all deserve a better definition of how that should fit into competition.

Carl